What's for dinner, Saturday the 24th, Christmas Eve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
what are you having for dinner tonight, this christmas eve?

tonight, we are doing the "seven fishes" thing.

1. oysters on the half shell, with iced herbed vinegar or cocktail sauce

2. crab cakes with tartar sauce and lemon

3, 4, 5. diver scallops, shrimp, and squid in a spicy fresh tomato and roasted garlic sauce

6. baked rainbow trout stuffed with fennel and sweet onions

7. trout eyeball ice cream

ok, i'm only kidding about the trout eyeballs, and yes, i know that's not 7 fishes, but then i'm only an italian wanna-be, culinarily speaking.

so, whaddya having?

licia , the feast of the seven fishes, or festa dei siete pesci, is a christmas eve tradition that originated in sicily, and made very popular in the united states by italian immigrants. it represents the importance of the number 7 in the roman catholic religion. 7 days of creation, 7 sacrements, etc.. also, the food was supposed to be white to represent purity and holiness, thus fish was used. i guess they never heard of "the other white meat". :)

A queso (cheese) dip - part Velveta and part white jalapeno cheese my cousin sends me from El Paso (he gets it from a chef/cook he knows in Juarez) - with Rotel tomatoes and chilies ... and corn chips.

A mix of roasted pork, chicken, and beef tamales, refried beans made with bacon grease instead of lard (topped with lots of butter and cheddar cheese), and Spanish rice. And, a side of soft buttered corn tortillias for eating with the beans and rice.

I got some cookies from the Mexican Deli - but if I decide to get back out into the frenzy once more to get some honey (I really thought I had some) I "might" dosopapillas for dessert.

I want what you all are having! Especially the fish!! I'm making chicken cordon bleu, with some rice, it's just hubby and I tonight.

We are having baked chicken, homemade mac and cheese, broccoli. And I had a serious craving for more of that hot wing dip! We are addicted to it!

shannon in KS said:
We are having baked chicken, homemade mac and cheese, broccoli. And I had a serious craving for more of that hot wing dip! We are addicted to it!

yep, I made some last Saturday for my family's and more last night for DH's family and I have to make it again for New Years/Big sister's 50th.:LOL:

texasgirl said:
yep, I made some last Saturday for my family's and more last night for DH's family and I have to make it again for New Years/Big sister's 50th.:LOL:

It is my new favorite dip! I cannot rant and rave about it enough! I have given the recipe out at least to 15 people now! And how is the party coming along?!?!?!

I made shake n bake pork chops, green beans, stove top stuffing for my son, and sour cream n chive mashed potatoes for the bf

We always have a buffet on Christmas eve...cold shrimp with Iron Chef's cocktail sauce, meatballs with a dipping sauce I made of plum sauce, black cherry preserves, horseradish and some grainy mustard. Antipasto tray, copa,procsuitto, salami,ham,turinger,swiss and cheddar slices, roasted red peppers marinated in evoo and balsamic and scattered around the tray, olives 3 kinds, tiny sweet pickles,crackers foccacia, deviled eggs, a tray of smoked salmon with pumpernickle bread and a mix of sour cream,cream cheese, dill, lemon and minced red onion, candy,cookies, relish tray, clam dip and chips...daughter brought several dips we need to heat up and she will serve with crackers..That's about it..
Merry Christma everyone...I'm thinking about my DC family and wishing you al the best...Wish we could really share this together, but, until we can...Cheers, here is a bite of my foccacia and copa...
hugs to all
kadesma:LOL:

middie said:
I made shake n bake pork chops, green beans, stove top stuffing for my son, and sour cream n chive mashed potatoes for the bf

we love shake n bake pork chops too. I add some cayenne to the mix.

at christmas eve we had pork`s loin with a cream sauce and chantarelles made in the oven...
side orders were potatoes, beans and red cabbage
it was sooo great
ulle.gif

christmas day we had rabbits joints with potatoes and red cabbage
and today we will have rump steak with potatoes and Kraeuterbutter

Back
Top Bottom