What's for dinner? Sunday 10-12-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Lots of fresh veggies to use up today, so veggie soup is simmering on the stove in a beef broth right now. It smells so good. Carrots, celery, squash, garlic, onions, red peppers, green peppers, string beans, cannellini beans, broccoli, spinach, and barley. Toasted garlic parmesan bread on the side. :yum:

What's on everyone's plate this evening?

Last edited:
We had a young Indian family as next door neighbors for about 12 years until this Spring when they bought a home in a neighboring town. They invited SO and me, along with our other Indian neighbors, for lunch and to see their new home.

For lunch we had a variety of Indian foods she cooked for us. Not too hungry as a result so I just had some leftovers.

DH picked up a couple Hardee's Thickburgers around 2:00, and I just finished the last of mine. DH ate his in one sitting, so he had nachos later.

It felt like a comfort food day here. DH and I were both thinking soup, so I cleared all the leftovers out of the fridge.....there was taco meat, fajita beef with onions and peppers and some Mexican rice. Sensing a trend here? I added chopped sautéd celery, onion, garlic and carrot, chicken broth, water, canned tomatoes more black beans and corn. The soup is sort of a combo taco southwestern soup. Going to serve it with crusty garlic bread and sour cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Cooking by the seat of my pants tonight.

I had some ugly barely saveable cabbage, leftover grilled veggies, an onion, a large potato, and a couple of links of Portuguese sausage I know nothing about from the farmers market.

After some chopping and appropriate sauteing,I put it all together in a covered skillet with a little white wine, salt and garlic. I love when a good meal comes together like this with what's on hand and no real plan.

These are the times I feel like a good cook, and both of us loved it. :chef::D

Quickie dinner fritatta. Sauteed sausage, a couple scallions, a potato, couple of huge and tired mushroom caps, five eggs. Towards the end I tossed some tomato slices on mine and topped the entire thing with a bit of grated Havarti cheese. Himself had a slice of rye bread with his, I had a slice of cranberry-pecan whole grain bread. After I toasted and buttered, I put a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top of my toast. :yum:

The best part? One-pan cooking.

This just proves once more why this daily thread is always my favorite. Everybody eats. Thanks so much for the contributions that I see as the real heart of Discuss Cooking.

Bravo to all those who participate. I'm constantly inspired. Thank you!

We went to a wonderful "garden of light" show at a local historic home/museum. We ran into some friends and stayed longer than we had planned, so we picked up Chinese food on the way home.

Here's a sample.

Attachments

• 1413200868596.jpg
    1413200868596.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 167
Roasted turkey, wild rice dressing, coleslaw (mayo dressing with jalapeno peppers and garlic), mashed turnips, cranberry salsa, and apple pie for dessert. We skipped the Brussels sprouts and ate around 3:00, napped the rest of the afternoon away.

Back
Top Bottom