What's for Dinner - Sunday 10th June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regallion

Cook
Been cooking some beef in red wine for 4 hours now. Only another 4 to go.

One potted the beef with some potatoes, shallots and carrots.

That sounds good, Regallion! Here, I'll be grilling balsamic-rosemary chicken breasts and a variety of vegetables. I'm making more than enough so we have extras for salads and sandwiches throughout the week.

I am trying to decide which labor saving device I want to drag out, 12 inch frying pan, electric griddle, or the good ol' George Foreman, to make myself a really good breakfast/brunch because I am hitting the outlet mall with a vengence today. Because of that, I don't plan on making a big production out of supper. I took out a couple of chicken breasts to thaw, so I will toss them on the barbeque grill, where I will annoint them with some kind of Asian inspired sauce to make a big Chinese Chicken salad, and I have some egg rolls at the front of the freezer, just in case I am inclined to drag out the deep frier.

I'm cooking up a nice pork roast for my DH and me. I'll sear it first and than cook it in the oven on top of finely chopped carrots, celery, and onions which will end up being used in the end with the gravy.

I'll be serving peas with prosciutto and mashed potatoes. The peas and proscuitoo is from Gida De Laurentiis "Food Network" and will be trying that for the first time.

>> peas and prosciutto
This is a very nice combination and one I do often. I actually use cubetti de pancetta (google it ;)) and some fried shallots with the peas. It's a winner!

In addition to the crockpot "mess" going (see post in Introductions...), DH grilled a lovely rib roast, asparagus and fresh corn ... all outside... YUMMY. (And very little mess to clean up!)

well it WAS gunna be marinaded cubed chicken breast done in the oven, but I decided I`m gunna BBQ it instead and do some flat breads on there too, so as not to waste the residual heat, this`ll be served with a Ranch Salad.

pork chops that were dredged in flour, s&p, garlic powder and mustard, then browned and put in the crock pot with a sliced onion and a jar of canned potatoes. Not quite sure what to expect? Especially since I now think the chops were smoked.
And a side of cooked spinach, haven't tried that dish yet this season!

The usual crew plus 2 will be here today so it will be 3 beer can chickens instead of 2..I know, I know, but you've never seen my son,DH and 2 sons in law eat:LOL: plus my daughters and the 4 little nippers will be here as well..
So, it's 3 beer can chickens two done from Katie E.' s peach nectar idea and one with beer for something different. We are having a few salads one will be baby green beans,baby yukon golds and par boiled then the potatoes cut in half, toss the potatoes with the beans, add some sliced red onion rings, a small hand full of fresh chopped Italian parsley, salt,pepper and then dress with evoo and red wine vinegar, also a black bean,grilled corn,onion,red bell, cumin,salt,pepper,lime juice cider vinegar,evoo and a diced up long green italian pepper and some cilantro,Thanks PytnPlace:) A cucumber salad for the son in law who loves them and for ME :LOL: sliced up 2 cucumbers, then just dressed with a mix ofrice vinegar, lime juice,sugar salt red pepper flakes and some torn mint leaves. Some white rice cooked in chicken stock with sauteed onions and garlic, our usual platter of watermelon, berries,tuscan melon,cherries..dessert just homemade vanilla ice cream with a saute of bananas in butter and brown sugar over the top..that's it.

kadesma ;)

We're having roast chicken dinner here tonight. i'll do oven roasted potatoes to go with and steam some veggie (asparagus maybe?) and do a big salad too. Then I'm off to work for the evening.

marzipanmarzipan
kadesma said:
The usual crew plus 2 will be here today so it will be 3 beer can chickens instead of 2..I know, I know, but you've never seen my son,DH and 2 sons in law eat:LOL: plus my daughters and the 4 little nippers will be here as well..
So, it's 3 beer can chickens two done from Katie E.' s peach nectar idea and one with beer for something different. We are having a few salads one will be baby green beans,baby yukon golds and par boiled then the potatoes cut in half, toss the potatoes with the beans, add some sliced red onion rings, a small hand full of fresh chopped Italian parsley, salt,pepper and then dress with evoo and red wine vinegar, also a black bean,grilled corn,onion,red bell, cumin,salt,pepper,lime juice cider vinegar,evoo and a diced up long green italian pepper and some cilantro,Thanks PytnPlace:) A cucumber salad for the son in law who loves them and for ME :LOL: sliced up 2 cucumbers, then just dressed with a mix ofrice vinegar, lime juice,sugar salt red pepper flakes and some torn mint leaves. Some white rice cooked in chicken stock with sauteed onions and garlic, our usual platter of watermelon, berries,tuscan melon,cherries..dessert just homemade vanilla ice cream with a saute of bananas in butter and brown sugar over the top..that's it.

kadesma ;)
So how long does it take to get to California from New Jersey? Your menu sounds much better than leftover pork roast with whatever is in the refrigerator/freezer!

Regallion said:
Been cooking some beef in red wine for 4 hours now. Only another 4 to go.

One potted the beef with some potatoes, shallots and carrots.

Sounds divine, Regallion!

Kadesma, the peach nectar has got to be delicious, let us know!

I normally make a "nice" dinner on Sundays, but tonight it will be take-out veggie pizza (thin crust, NY style, with red peppers, eggplant, broccoli, mushrooms, olives, red onion topping), with fruit salad. I think pizza and fruit salad is a great combination.

I can't believe I haven't cooked all week and I'm not really cooking tonight, either. Monday I got out of the hospital and I can't remember what we ate, Tuesday some old friends came to town and took us to dinner, Wednesday is my regular dinner night out with friends, Thursday we went to a soccer picnic for our exchange student, Friday my DH took us out for my birthday dinner, and Saturday we were invited to a party to watch fireworks over the river and eat, drink and be merry :)

This afternoon, we're having a going-away cookout for our exchange student with hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken and all the stuff that goes along with a cookout. Since our kitchen is in the middle of being torn apart in prepararation for being renovated this summer, the most "cooking" I'm doing is cutting up veggies for the burgers and a veggie tray. DH is manning the grill.

Going exotic tonight. I'm going to make a marionberry crusted elk loin, a cauliflower ragout, and some parmesan crusted asparagus. I'm also going to mix some fennel, coffee beans, veal stock, cocoa powder, olive oil and fennel seeds and make a mocha sauce to put over.

I think I want to spice up the crust a little bit, so I'm going to add some heat, but haven't decided in what form yet. It's either going to be some pepper jelly or maybe a minced thai chili.

Last edited:
Oh my - that has to be the most exotic thing I've ever read!!

That sauce sounds very intriuging - what else would it go with? Not much elk to be had where I live!

Regallion said:
Oh my - that has to be the most exotic thing I've ever read!!

That sauce sounds very intriuging - what else would it go with? Not much elk to be had where I live!

It's somewhat limited in scope in terms of what you can put it on (at least for me it is). I use it on buffalo, occasionally on a ribeye...that's really about it. It doesn't go well on fish or fowl.

It's actually an adaptation/modification of a dessert sauce that I just altered a little.

doe1260 said:
wow, Poppin... that's wild... I don't have any elk, but would like to hear more about the asparagus...

Thanks.
Elk is surprisingly easy to get if you have an actual butcher shop nearby. If not, there are places to order it online as well. It's really quite good (just a little pricey).

The asparagus is pretty basic. coat the asparagus in olive oil. Salt and pepper them. Roll them in grated parm, skewer them into rafts and throw em on the grill. When they're done, sprinkle a little more parm over them (MOST Of the parm you put on before cooking will either melt or fall off), take a couple of lemon wedges, spritz lemon juice over them, and they're ready to go.

The alternate would be to sprinkle the parm over the asparagus just before it's done. Works too, I just personally prefer the other way.

Last edited:
bullseye said:
marzipanmarzipan
So how long does it take to get to California from New Jersey? Your menu sounds much better than leftover pork roast with whatever is in the refrigerator/freezer!
Have no clue on the time, but, the door is always open:LOL: Salads are already, but this will be my first canned chickens...Hopefully things will be good.

kadesma;)

Back
Top Bottom