What's for dinner, Thursday, 11-9-2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had pho. Homemade broth that we had made a while back and froze in portions, shaved rib eye, oyster and beech mushrooms, plus green onions.

Attachments

• 2017-11-09 18.13.34.jpg
    2017-11-09 18.13.34.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 107
I think TB is going to be picking up a rotisserie chicken and salads on his way home.

I put my back out (which is a regular occurrence)throwing the ball for Miley in the dog park. My sciatica acts up a lot during the colder months and today is both cold and rainy.

Med, your pho looks delicious, and I love the bowl.

Kay...I copied and saved your dad's recipe for German Stew. I knew I had read it before - thanks for bringing it back up. It sounds wonderful, especially on these cooler evenings! :yum:

I thawed a package of recently made and vacuum sealed meat loaf from the freezer, so will have that plus a sheet pan of roasted cauliflower, asparagus, and red bell pepper.

Last edited:
As usual, everyone's meals sound amazing!

kalua pig and cabbage.jpg
[file photo]
I'm making a super easy meal :
From the deep freeze, a vaccu-sealed pouch of Kalua Pork,
reheated with sauteed chopped Green Cabbage, Sweet White Onions
all served atop a bed of steamed White Rice.

strawberries cream and rum cake.jpg
[file photo]
For dessert :
My homemade Rum Cake with whipped cream (ala Redi-Whipp)
and some macerated Strawberries. (I made so many cakes for the bake sale on Saturday, that DH was getting perturbed that he wasn't getting of it :rolleyes:)

Med, your pho looks delicious, and I love the bowl.

Kay...I copied and saved your dad's recipe for German Stew. I knew I had read it before - thanks for bringing it back up. It sounds wonderful, especially on these cooler evenings! :yum:

I thawed a package of recently made and vacuum sealed meat loaf from the freezer, so will have that plus a sheet pan of roasted cauliflower, asparagus, and red bell pepper.

Thanks Cheryl. That big recipe is easy to cut in half, as I did tonight in my trusty Nesco Roaster. It sure smells like home around here. :wub:

Home late..backed up sewer drain at the deli today...got mad and went and bought an electric drain auger..did it myself..just got home...grilled cheese and canned tomato soup..and a Guinness...

The rain stopped here, but it was still cloudy and chilly today, so I made some chicken soup... or stew. Not sure what to call it.

No recipe. I browned some chicken thighs in the CI dutch oven, then browned some onions and celery, followed by a bunch of finely chopped garlic. I put the browned thighs back into the DO, thigh bones included (lots of flavor in bones), and added chicken stock and diced red potatoes. I seasoned with S&P, and tied a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme to slowly cook into the soup/stew.

It was really good -- just perfect for the weather. The chicken thighs fell apart, making it more soup-like, but it was a very chunky soup. It sure hit the spot.

CD

Attachments

• ChickSoup.jpg
    ChickSoup.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 121
I decided to try the chicken and Rice-a-Roni again in the oven. This time I got the three cheese flavor and after browning the vermillion, I pushed it all to the sides and laid the chicken breast (sliced in two) in the middle, then poured the water and seasonings around the chicken.

After about a half hour in the oven, I decided to sprinkle the chicken with Parmesan cheese and right before everything was done, I put the oven on broil a couple of minutes to brown the cheese a tad. OMG - was that delicious! This one's a keeper!

While running errands Jeannie got a craving for Chinese.
We went to her fave place and had pork chow mein, soup, rice and egg rolls..

Between what we brought home and the leftover Salisbury steak from Wednesday, I won't be cooking for a couple of days..

Gives me time to concentrate on desserts.. :yum:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom