What's for dinner? Thursday 12-7-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I picked up a nice little (2.75 lb) tri tip at Albertsons yesterday, so that will be going on the Weber soon. Not sure of sides yet - I have some asparagus that needs to be used and a mango, so will probably have those.

What's on your menu? :chef::)

We had Digiorno Thin crust spinach and garlic pizza.

Last edited:
I took tonight off so I could put up lights on the house tomorrow, so I'm heading off to the store now to pick up dinner.

I'm thinking about making littleneck clams in wine and herbs, with pasta and a baguette on the side.

If mussels look better, I'll sub them for the clams.

Italian small plates. Craig did all the prep and cooking. I helped with some of the putting together, presentation, and I made and canned the fig preserves for the crostini with the fig preserves, gorgonzola and prosciutto. The red bell caprese salad got a dressing of balsamic vinaigrette after the pic. The grilled asparagus, prosciutto bundies were dressed with a lemon juice vinaigrette.

Attachments

• 2017-12-07 18.11.55.jpg
    2017-12-07 18.11.55.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 2017-12-07 18.11.06.jpg
    2017-12-07 18.11.06.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 2017-12-07 18.10.26.jpg
    2017-12-07 18.10.26.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 134
Lazy day today. We can do this any time we wish. Retirement is awesome!

Did a small chuck roast in the crock-pot with onions, celery and baby carrots. We'll have mashed Yukon Gold taters and buttered baguette. Not sure if we'll have any dessert. I may just have a couple more slices of buttered baguette. However, there's a box of Klondike bars in the freezer that may have our names on it if dessert is crucial:angel:.

Spaghetti with meat sauce (spicy sausage), salads and garlic bread. My go-to dinner when I don't have a plan.

December 7th, "... a date will live in infamy."

We had an early start to the day (doctor's appointments again)
with no lunch... SO!

001.JPG

It was an early supper and off to bed early too
(well, after Big Bang Theory ;))

I went freezer diving and came up with a pack of my homemade
Paniolo (that's Hawaiian for Cowboy) Chili.
I made a fresh pot of rice, heated up the Chili and
served it all with diced Sweet White Onions and Shredded Cheese.
:yum:

We still have a few Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies, oh and
some fresh Milk for dessert later.

Dad had chili, burger, and salad. Mom had leftover pizza and cream of mushroom soup--added more beef stock and evap milk to the leftover stroganoff gravy. Voilà! CoM soup.

I'm in Vegas. It's still early here... well, 9PM. I have a suite with a kitchen, but nothing to cook. I may run around the corner to the Hard Rock for some good diner food. Decisions, decisions.

CD

Italian small plates. Craig did all the prep and cooking. I helped with some of the putting together, presentation, and I made and canned the fig preserves for the crostini with the fig preserves, gorgonzola and prosciutto. The red bell caprese salad got a dressing of balsamic vinaigrette after the pic. The grilled asparagus, prosciutto bundies were dressed with a lemon juice vinaigrette.

THIS looks droolworthy delicious! :yum:

THIS looks droolworthy delicious! :yum:

+1..to be sure!!

I had some cod from TJ's that I rolled to fit "all pretty like" in my buttered handy oval individual casseroles. Have I mentioned lately how anyone cooking for one or two (or even more) should have these little darling casseroles? Slick, and well worth the investment.

Butter pats with slivers of tri colored bell pepper and paper thin sliced red onions, with some sliced mushrooms along the sides adorned the little fish casseroles along with S&P and a hefty squeeze of lemon over the top. They were perfect and golden baked at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
It was a tasty and easy peasy dinner served with wild/brown rice on the side for the juices. Yumm..

That sounds delish, Kay...and I do love those little individual casserole dishes...they make such a nice presentation and it makes one feel very special. Your dinner sounds lovely! :yum:

My grilled tri tip turned out pretty darned good. It's always a bit tricky to get a big ol' hunk of meat to cooperate with the Weber, and come off the grill charred on the outside and med rare on the inside. I got lucky with it this afternoon. :yum::LOL:

I had a couple of slices for dinner, vacuum sealed and froze a few thick slices for later, and saved some for sammies...which I plan to thinly slice and enjoy on toasted onion buns with a spread of horseradish and mayo for the next few days. :yum:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Nice looking suppers, all! I'm especially eyeing your grilled beef there, Cheryl. :yum:

We had soup and sandwiches. I used fresh broccoli when I made the easy Lipton Cream of Broccoli Soup; I topped it with shredded cheese. I forgot how very creamy this soup is; maybe next time I'll remember to sub in chicken broth for some of the milk. We also had ham and Havarti sandwiches on the snowflake rolls we picked up yesterday. Homemade dills and Giardiniera rounded out the meal.

Attachments

• 20171207_221916.jpg
    20171207_221916.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 144
I steamed the rest of the pork bao buns I bought frozen at an international grocery store a while ago. I also made asparagus in a sauce made with hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, ginger-infused sherry and sesame oil. Then I put together a dipping sauce for the buns with several of those ingredients.
1207172023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom