What's for Dinner Thursday April 15th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
okay, I am doing an experiment this morning:mrgreen:

this past Sunday I made what was called the best tasting lasagna our friends had ever tasted...wanted the recipe....I am always reminded of Andy M's byline.....if you want to make something from scratch, first you need to create the universe....so the friend says, yeah I know, first I need to plant the tomatoes:rolleyes:....

The lasagna consisted of homemade ricotta that was made from said friends goat milk, home made pizza sauce and ground beef from this friend too.

well, I had about 4 cups of seasoned ricotta left over because I seasoned the entire batch of ricotta, which was 2 1/2 pounds. So this morning I opened a box of manicotta and started stuffing the tubes into the ricotta to fill them, that part worked surprisingly well, browned a pound of ground beef and added a quart of thick tomato juice. I layed the stiff filled pasta tubes in a 9x13 pan with the leftover 2 cups of lasagna sauce, spread on the last of the ricotta and poured on the beef/tomato juice over top. As I hate to deal with covering a tomato dish with aluminum foil, I put a cookie sheet on top. It's in the oven. This is another experiment of using dried pasta without pre cooking it. I have long used lasagna from the box to make lasagna, before I had ever heard of the no-boil product:), but this is the first time I am trying it with manicotta tubes.

stay tuned...

what's happening in your kitchen today?

I'm going to try making something creative with a couple of chicken breasts. I suppose I could search the net. There are probably more recipes using chicken breasts than any other main ingredient. I'll probably just go with a combination of things in the pantry.

As I hate to deal with covering a tomato dish with aluminum foil, I put a cookie sheet on top.

Beth, your experiment sounds amazing! Let us know how it turns out. As for the foil problem, over years of cooking large amounts of food at once I have picked up some tricks and my favourite is the tomato/foil problem. Before you add your foil, cover the pan with plastic wrap, sealing it tightly around the edges of the pan. Then cover with foil and put it in the oven. The plastic does not melt, this is not harmful and you don't get the tomato/foil reaction. I also think it makes lasagnas and other casseroles a little more moist. If I have cheese on top I just take the plastic and foil off for the last 15 minutes of cooking.

Hope that helps!

We are having meatloaf, new potatoes and a veggie to be named later. For dessert it is Katie's Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream (and a soy version for DH)!

I'm going to try making something creative with a couple of chicken breasts. I suppose I could search the net. There are probably more recipes using chicken breasts than any other main ingredient. I'll probably just go with a combination of things in the pantry.

With the weather turning bad tomorrow, we're grilling burgers tonight and I'll save the chicken for tomorrow.

I have to pick grandson up from school in a while so I think I will stop and get some barbecue and maybe make baked potatoes or french fries and a salad. He'll probably want ice cream and cookies for dessert. Dh and I will have canteloupe.

Pork chops on the grill, green salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, and cole slaw. Apple pie for dessert. (no I didn't make the pie, it is store bought)

I love being home for diner, normally during the week I work pretty late, but today I left early and we had diner together. Wonderful chicken soup with meat balls and matza balls. Matza balls tasted funny, not sure why, but meat balls were awesome. Since we can never agry I end up making both noodles and rice. I love rice, kids like noodles. Also I made buckweat groats and serve it with chicken from the sopu, pretty simple, but delicious, oh yeah we did have some sort of a salad, but I opted for a pickle. Yum.

Whole grain penne with tuna, chopped green chiles, lemon juice, spices, and melted extra sharp cheddar. Green salad on the side.

Back
Top Bottom