What's for dinner? Tuesday Apr. 12, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: I'm almost 6 feet tall. Not sure your arms are longer, CCL!

We'll just snitch the rellano and split it! Beware, Kgirl!

Woo! I'm 5'11"! Lordy, we've got us a fight going on! Yeah, we'll split it! Hey, want some of our pizza?

Only 2 weeks....? Since you mentioned it, isn't Romania where her husband and child is? :ermm:

I'll grab a third fork for those chile relleno leftovers, thank you. :yum:

Yep, Cat went to visit. I'm hoping she'll bring them with her when she comes back. We can smoosh them into the master bedroom and guest room, and Justin and I can sleep on the sleeper sofa. I'll post a thread about it.

Here's your fork. Don't mind Dawgluver and me, dear. However, if she stabs me with a fork, contact the authorities for food abuse. She's supposed to stab the food, not me.

LOL!

Every month Pirate and I buy four expensive pieces of meat or seafood. A roast beef, pork roast, Maine lobsters, etc. One for each weekend of the month. Tonight Pirate bought two very, very long crab legs. They were already cooked. He got the meat out of the shell, put it in a strainer and rinsed it under cold water. Very salty from the sea or who ever cooked them went overboard with the box of salt. Rinsing them did help though. So we each took a small piece to see if we were going to like it. I was already drooling. So I grabbed a small piece with my fingers and almost immediately my hand started to swell. It never made it to my stomach. I dropped it immediately and ran to the sink and started to scrub my hands real hard. I even washed them with bleach. After about an hour, the swelling finally went down. It has been about 40 years since I have had a reaction to shellfish of any kind. Looks like a dry summer of seafood for me this year. I hope I can build up my tolerance again. I just have to start from square one like I did the last time.

A friend of Pirate's got a free meal of very expensive crab meat. His mother is 90 and LOVES crab meat. Happy eating for the two of them. :angel:

Every month Pirate and I buy four expensive pieces of meat or seafood. A roast beef, pork roast, Maine lobsters, etc. One for each weekend of the month. Tonight Pirate bought two very, very long crab legs. They were already cooked. He got the meat out of the shell, put it in a strainer and rinsed it under cold water. Very salty from the sea or who ever cooked them went overboard with the box of salt. Rinsing them did help though. So we each took a small piece to see if we were going to like it. I was already drooling. So I grabbed a small piece with my fingers and almost immediately my hand started to swell. It never made it to my stomach. I dropped it immediately and ran to the sink and started to scrub my hands real hard. I even washed them with bleach. After about an hour, the swelling finally went down. It has been about 40 years since I have had a reaction to shellfish of any kind. Looks like a dry summer of seafood for me this year. I hope I can build up my tolerance again. I just have to start from square one like I did the last time.

A friend of Pirate's got a free meal of very expensive crab meat. His mother is 90 and LOVES crab meat. Happy eating for the two of them. :angel:

I'm sorry, Addie. Allergies like those are really scary. Bless your heart, I'm thinking of you.

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Well, first you need to hear about our day. We had a couple hours to kill before visiting Himself's cousins, so we took a ride out toward the Mennonite area. On the way back the car gave a little puff of light grey smoke out the tailpipe and the temp gauge shot up to the "H". By the time we were towed and got a loaner car it was to late to bother them for good, but we did sit around and visit. On the way back to the motel we got comfort food. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been a six-- pack of beer!

Photo to follow. I have to move it from another device. :banghead:

Last edited:
Well, first you need to hear about our day. We had a couple hours to kill before visiting Himself's cousins, so we took a ride out toward the Mennonite area. On the way back the car gave a little puff of light grey smoke out the tailpipe and the temp gauge shot up to the "H". By the time we were towed and got a loaner car it was to late to bother them for good, but we did sit around and visit. On the way back to the motel we got comfort food. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been a six-- pack of beer!

Photo to follow. I have to move it from another device. :banghead:

Dang! The radiator failed and blew, right? Yow! The same thing happened to my Subaru. I'm sorry this happened.

Ouch! Comfort food is a serious necessity with car problems. Beer helps a little when you see the bill.

Hang in there.

Actually, Himself believes the radiator is fine. Long story. It will appear in the venting thread.

Our gourmet dinner:

Attachments

• 1460525352761.jpg
    1460525352761.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 189
Delivery pizza from another new place. It was pretty good this time. Only complaint I had was that they put tomato sauce on my Margharita pizza! Even their garlic rolls were PDG.

I browned and then braised chicken thighs in a mixture of cream of chicken soup, homemade Dijon mustard, sage and paprika thinned with a little water. The braise also included sliced celery, green onions and green and yellow bell peppers. I served it over rice pilaf seasoned with sautéed onions and garlic, sage and Penzeys 4/S Seasoned Salt. We also had toasted, buttered homemade bread to sop up the sauce and crispy chicken skin on top and :yum:

That looks and sounds really good GG. I'm always looking for another way with thighs and I made notes. :yum:

Mmmm....tostadas. One of my fave meals. :yum: Just wondering RR, how do you make your own sour cream?

courtesy of Chef John:

Food Wishes Video Recipes: Homemade Crème Fraiche – Nobody's Ever Made it Just Once

3 tablespoons of cultured buttermilk

2 cups of cream

Mix and put in a jar, cover with a coffee filter. Leave out for 24 hours. If it's thickened, then put in fridge for 24 hours before using.

It's actually supposed to be creme fraiche and the good thing about it is you should be able to cook it without it breaking the way sour cream does. It's also supposed to taste wonderful.

I think mine tastes a little bland and since this makes an entire jar and should be used within the week, I think the next time I'm just going to get a container of sour cream and use that, since what I buy usually lasts a month in the fridge. This was an experiment I tried for the first time.

I did get a whole container of buttermilk and two pints of cream though, so although I will make the creme fraiche one more time, I'm going to go a step further and make butter out of it, to see what that tastes like.

By the way, he says not to make it with ultra-pasteurized heavy cream, but since that's all my store had, that's what I used and it turned out fine.

Last edited:
What a GREAT looking BLT, James. :yum: Do you have a recipe handy for your Avocado Basil Mayo? That sounds delish!

Back
Top Bottom