What's for dinner? Wednesday, 4-8-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's turn-on-the-oven weather today, so I'll be baking a ham. I'll roast beets in another pan, and maybe another pan of carrots. They are so good roasted, and I seem to have a plethora of them in the 'fridge. :ermm: Lightly steamed asparagus, too, which we'll put the last of the remoulade on just to use it up. Still considering salad, since it's so damp cold today.

What will you be tickling your tummy with tonight?

We'll be having some chicken breasts either pan roasted or griddled, leftover rice pilaf and steamed carrots.

It's good fishing weather. I think I will put a can of spiffed up baked beans in the oven and bury a couple hot dogs and go fishing at dinner time. No buns, I think a pan of corn bread is just the ticket to round out dinner.

We'll be having hot dogs wrapped in pita bread. I'm making some vegi stock now, so I will probably use some of it to make a soup out of the leftovers from Mr. Falafel.

I made a 5-cheese vegetarian thick-crust pizza. Crust, homemade sauce, grated 4 of the cheese, a layer of leftover mashed potatoes with cheese, topped with sundried tomatoes, smoked red peppers, baby greens, roasted onion, roasted garlic, roasted leeks, some chili garlic sauce, more baby greens, homemade moz., drizzle of harissa EVOO and some fresh oregano. I oiled a pizza pan, cooked it at 400 for 20 minutes, last 5 minutes at 450.

Stir fry with chicken tenderloin, fresh green beans, fresh mini sweet peppers, and whatever else we can rout out of the pantry.

Debating on steamed rice or some mei fun noodles... hmmm Never cooked mei fun noodles before, but I'm willing to try it.

I just hope I make enough for leftovers this time. Randy tends to eat a lot when I do stir fry.

Since there was plenty of leftover turkey from our roast turkey we had for Easter dinner, I made a deluxe turkey potpie. It's filled with all sorts of veggies, lots of rich sauce made from the gravy and broth, and a top made of lard pastry. We'll further our carbs by having some of salt and pepper's wonderful Cast Iron Rolls, iced tea and vanilla fudge for dessert.

I've been simmering chicken stock all day with plans for chicken & dumplings later tonight. Yes, I "sometimes" make my own stock. :-p

The meaty previously frozen chicken carcass is in with the usual suspects (onion,carrots,celery) but also with a half head of cabbage and a cup of white wine with the water. I never thought of wine before .40 mentioned it in his C&D the other day, and the cabbage is because it needed using. The flavor is developing beautifully, and naturally I'll strain out the solids later for the rest of dish. I'll sure remember the cabbage and wine for stock next time!! What flavor! :yum:

I opted to order out for pizza;). I was tired from an active day and in an imaginary conversation with DH, I decided to patronize the local pizza parlor almost within sight of our house. There were no complaints from DH. Tomorrow he has dental surgery (wisdom tooth removed) in Santa Fe so I am about to make some chocolate pudding for the trip. I expect eating will be soft the next few days. Will simmer some eggs too for salad while I'm at the stove.

I opted to order out for pizza;). I was tired from an active day and in an imaginary conversation with DH, I decided to patronize the local pizza parlor almost within sight of our house. There were no complaints from DH. Tomorrow he has dental surgery (wisdom tooth removed) in Santa Fe so I am about to make some chocolate pudding for the trip. I expect eating will be soft the next few days. Will simmer some eggs too for salad while I'm at the stove.

Ykies Beth..did the tooth never come in after all this time? I had all of mine dug out when I was in my 20's and begged someone to kill me. Hope he does well.

That's a beautiful plate WP!!

Last edited:
beth, sending good thoughts to your hubby for an easy time. I had all four removed at once, but none were impacted. Two days later, a friend and his fiance took us out to dinner to pay Himself back for helping on a project. The friend figured I'd be a cheap date since I probably couldn't eat. Instead, I cleaned off a plate of scallops, rice and veggies - I fixed him! The only issue was all the rice getting caught in the openings, but I was prepared with a tupperware cup with salt so I could rinse.

Dinner was SO pretty, I just have to share a pic:

Attachments

• 2015-04-08 20.44.45.jpg
    2015-04-08 20.44.45.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 180
I've been simmering chicken stock all day with plans for chicken & dumplings later tonight. Yes, I "sometimes" make my own stock. :-p

The meaty previously frozen chicken carcass is in with the usual suspects (onion,carrots,celery) but also with a half head of cabbage and a cup of white wine with the water. I never thought of wine before .40 mentioned it in his C&D the other day, and the cabbage is because it needed using. The flavor is developing beautifully, and naturally I'll strain out the solids later for the rest of dish. I'll sure remember the cabbage and wine for stock next time!! What flavor! :yum:

I LOVE my new GE gas stove with the big front burner where I can use my flat bottom wok with more surface area for Bisquick dumplings with dill and chives.
img_1417035_0_3704f528f84b65c5ce6165d4d8944688.jpg

The finished Chicken and Dumplings...

img_1417035_1_fb01dfc1b148fa9835754fa4815d1a80.jpg

Chicken & Dumplings

The dumplings were so light they just about floated to my plate! The chives were fresh cut from our little garden.
It was a fantastic meal!

Thanks CG. Yep, Bisquick dumplings, perfect every time with the directions on the box.
Don't add your veggies to the chicken with the broth till just before you add the dumplings. By the time everything cooks with the lid on for 10 min. and then the lid off for 10 min. the veggies will be perfectly cooked. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom