What's For Dinner? Wednesday Oct 2nd, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I have a hankering for Cornish Pasties, so I think I'll stop off at the store on the way home and see if they have any fresh ones.

Plan B is Black Bean Chili.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a tray of country-style ribs waiting for a marinade. It's going to be a summer day here so they will go on the grill.

I'm going to cook a couple pieces of sausage, then put them in some leftover puttanesca while I warm that up and serve over linguine. I may pick up some fresh green beans to go along.

Going to be a bit rushy as we are going up to the marina to clear some stuff out of the boat so it will be BBQ burgers up there with a salad. Got to be back home for 7:30 when Mrs Dawg's beloved Maple Leafs drop the puck against Philly.

I made a cheesy tuna and vegetable bake. Tinned tuna, steamed sliced potatoes and carrots, steamed green beans, broad beans, peas and cherry tomatoes, all combined with a cheese and mustard sauce and baked. I think that's me covered for my "5 a day".

And I also made some good old jam tarts. :)

Going to stuff a chicken with some lemon and onion slices, grab some basil from the garden and rub the outside with some lemon pepper. Got the last zucchini from the garden and will do that and some green beans with some garlic for the side. I think I'll do some potatoes and carrots in with the chicken and that should do it for dinner.

Dessert is pie. I've got a mammoth load of apples to process so I'll get to those right after I finish messing about on here. I've got saskatoons for a pie too. Ken has been asking about that.

I had to look Saskatoons up. They look quite like Blueberries - are they similar in taste?

They're smaller, firmer and a bit more tart. Have you tasted black currants? Imagine a currant crossed with a blueberry and that's a saskatoon. The pie smells HEAVENLY!

They're smaller, firmer and a bit more tart. Have you tasted black currants? Imagine a currant crossed with a blueberry and that's a saskatoon. The pie smells HEAVENLY!

Ah, okay. Yes, I am familiar with blackcurrants! (They go very well with apple as it happens - Apple and Blackcurrant pie is very popular here).

Hope the pie tastes as good as it smells! :)

This thread scared me. It is Wednesday October 2, 2013, not October 3. October 3 is my daughter's birthday and I thought I missed it!!!

Anyway, we had Reuben sandwiches.

Nice catch, Carol, thanks! Fixed.

Leftover pizza from lunch here.

Last edited:

Mmmm, Saskatoons, AKA Juneberries in the States. We used to pick them wild in Ontario. Were they frozen, Alix? As I recall, we picked them pretty early, well before blueberries came out.

It is such the busy day for me, I am very tired so I am lazy of food.

I put two steaks, these T-bones, on the grill after rubbing them with cracked black pepper, minced garlic and some sage. They were of a very grey-pink when done in the middle of them.

I made a packaged brown gravy mix for a box of herbed stuffing, and we had corn on the cob.

I do love to grill! It is very nice!

With love,
~Cat

This thread scared me. It is Wednesday October 2, 2013, not October 3. October 3 is my daughter's birthday and I thought I missed it!!!

Anyway, we had Reuben sandwiches.

Yeah, I had to do some searching around to make sure it was today's thread :LOL: It sure took all day to fix :huh:

Tonight's dinner consisted of:

The tail end of some expired bag salad.

A washed out chicken leg and a carrot fished out of a pot of chicken stock.

A bowl of oatmeal.

I really need to go to the store, maybe tomorrow! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Tonight's dinner consisted of:

The tail end of some expired bag salad.

A washed out chicken leg and a carrot fished out of a pot of chicken stock.

A bowl of oatmeal.

I really need to go to the store, maybe tomorrow! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You're not "selling" it Aunt Bea! I bet it was ... edible at least?? The carrot would have been lovely at any rate?

And yes, I think a shopping trip sounds like a very good idea! :LOL:

Celebrating the last dry day before a few days of rain sets in. Grilled bone in chix breasts. Earlier I boiled a few potatoes to make tater salad. Ice cream. The little girls each got a tsp to lick. I wonder if they ever get brain freeze. I think they wanted chicken.

You're not "selling" it Aunt Bea! I bet it was ... edible at least?? The carrot would have been lovely at any rate?

And yes, I think a shopping trip sounds like a very good idea! :LOL:

No tears for me?

Actually I enjoy these frugal, almost free, meals now and then.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom