What's Jamming for Dinner 8-16-17?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We'll be jamming some jambalaya! Maybe a spicy Creole sauce as well.:yum: Chicken and homemade andouille jambalaya that is.

Last edited:
Will finish off yesterdays BBQ chicken thighs..
Making a mac salad for tomorrow's dinner with friends so, will have a bit of that with today's chicken..

Peach cobbler for desert...

Ross

I'm planning to grill some chinese sausages and I'll make a batch of sesame noodles to accompany the sausages.

A local seafood place is having their monthly Sushi & Tunes deal tonight, so we're planning to go there. The last couple of times we went, we ran into a bunch of neighbors, so that was fun [emoji2]

DH and I have been perusing the homes for sale ads looking for a place to retire in. No rush to buy but there is one that piqued our interest and they have an open house tonight. So we're going to go look at it and then grab some dinner somewhere. Not sure where we'll go but no cooking for me tonight!

Hot dogs, sauerkraut and beans for dinner.

I just made lime curd. And I am also making yogurt.

Have got some stuffed pork chops waiting in the fridge. Will grill some zucchini and big slices of portobello's. Have made a cream of mushroom sauce to drizzle over it. Will serve Mushroom Purses in a rose sauce as an 'amuse bouche'.

Haven't decided if I will "brule" the 'creme' yet... think we will be a little stuffed and not be able to appreciate it.

LOL... told her to be sure to use the 'facilities' before coming over. My bathroom had been decimated... at the moment not even a floor! I will post the progress on another thread but it is a bit mind boggling. I sort of knew what would be there but to actually see it! oomph! takes your breath away!

I'm doing another new experiment tonight. Cut up pork pieces in the crock pot, mixed with lime juice, some cumin, chili, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and something else I forget. I'm going to have pork carnitas because I need to use up the last of the tortillas. And for once, I had the sense to put a crock pot liner in the pot.

The experiment part of this is the recipe says I can do the pork on high in the crock pot and it will be done in 4 hours. Okaaaay, then, since I didn't look at the recipe till 5pm.

I do have a question for anyone who wants to answer, though.

This recipe just called for mixing the pork with the spices and lime juice and putting it in the crock pot with no other liquid. Um, does pork make its own liquid then or am I going to have some cute firemen showing up eventually?

This recipe just called for mixing the pork with the spices and lime juice and putting it in the crock pot with no other liquid. Um, does pork make its own liquid then or am I going to have some cute firemen showing up eventually?

Well, if your lucky a couple of Calendar firemen will show up.

Don't know what cut of pork you are using but it will produce "some" liquid. Plus it also depends on quantity as well. Hopefully you have a glass lid and can see what's happening inside. If not and you really don't want to open the lid - as you should not due to heat/moisture loss - you'd better depend on your nose.
All in all, I think you will not be lucky with the firemen. You will probably be lucky with the carnitas though! Good luck (food or otherwise...) ;)

MMM :yum:

It was a Trader Joe's kinda night here
in the middle of the desert.

003.JPG

Trader Joe's Frozen Uncooked Buffalo Burgers on the grill
and
Trader Joe's Potato Tots
The beverage of choice this fine evening was
for DH Henry Weinhard's Root Beer
and for myself, Coors Light
*belch*
Not bad if I do say so myself

Change of plans. My boy was so hungry after football practice tonight that he ate the rest of the London Broil and mashed that I was planning on taking into work, so I got takeout: Chicken Florentine, spaghetti, and a salad.

Well, if your lucky a couple of Calendar firemen will show up.

Don't know what cut of pork you are using but it will produce "some" liquid. Plus it also depends on quantity as well. Hopefully you have a glass lid and can see what's happening inside. If not and you really don't want to open the lid - as you should not due to heat/moisture loss - you'd better depend on your nose.
All in all, I think you will not be lucky with the firemen. You will probably be lucky with the carnitas though! Good luck (food or otherwise...) ;)

I totally forgot about the pork and when I went to check it just now, there was plenty of liquid.

I coulda used a visit from some cute firemen, though.

I totally forgot about the pork and when I went to check it just now, there was plenty of liquid.

I coulda used a visit from some cute firemen, though.

In Mexico, carnitas are cooked with manteca (lard) in a copper pot, but I do a good sear in cast iron, and use chicken broth to slow braise. It's not authentic, but it still tastes good.

For those interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wkBPdqhsDg

CD

We had a failure to launch on Wednesday, and scarce pickin's in the fridge. Thank goodness for eggs, a couple each of potatoes and onions in the basement, and a couple apples that might not have kept good enough while we were gone. So: scrambled eggs with colby, fried potatoes and onions, applesauce with cinnamon, and marble rye toast. The last of the stone fruits and a few blueberries with the last of the ice cream for dessert. And now I hear my pillow calling. Better get to be so I can be up again in a few hours.

Mom had been nibbling all day after brunch (steak, baked potatoes, and salad), so she didn't want anything. I had leftover steak, some pita chips, sliced cucumbers & tomatoes, and watermelon for dessert.

Keta Salmon in at Publix now and on sale. Miso glazed on the grill with steam broc and mixed greens with goat cheese and white balsamic vinaigrette

I had to look that one up, GaHC. I 'd never heard of Keta salmon before.

I've bought it as Silverbrite salmon, and it's also called Chum.

How was it with the miso glaze? That's been on my "to try" list for a long time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom