What's on the table Monday, 20 February, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I made frikadeller (Danish comfort food), pickled beets, Thai pickled cucumbers, and served fingerling potatoes with gravy. Thai cucumbers are not standard fare for this Danish meal, but a regular cucumber salad is a common side dish. Since DH likes this one better, it's what I made. I ate too much.

Attachments

• Frikadeller, fingerling potatoes, pickled beets, Thai pickled cucumbers, and gravy 2.jpg
    Frikadeller, fingerling potatoes, pickled beets, Thai pickled cucumbers, and gravy 2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Frikadeller, fingerling potatoes, pickled beets, Thai pickled cucumbers, and gravy.jpg
    Frikadeller, fingerling potatoes, pickled beets, Thai pickled cucumbers, and gravy.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 3
Today's dinner had an Indonesian theme ( for the most part)
Satay ( using homemade seitan)
Tempeh Kekap manis ( Homemade tempeh)
Wild rice (Not Indonesian, but wanted to use up some homegrown Oyster mushrooms )

Attachments

• Wild Oyster Mushroom Rice .png
    Wild Oyster Mushroom Rice .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Tempeh Kekap Manis.png
    Tempeh Kekap Manis.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Seitan Satay Grilled .png
    Seitan Satay Grilled .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
A few days ago, an interesting article about millets made me think of something I've done often with millet - cooked it with jasmine rice, to give some nutrition to it. Amazingly, the flavor of the millet is incredibly mild, so the jasmine flavor is still strong. And I often do this with Thai curries - something I don't make as often as I used to. But I still had about 3/4 of red curry paste in the freezer.

For cooking the millet and jasmine rice together, I soak the millet for a few hours, drain, then add about 1½ c water per cup, and 1:1 water to rice, and use the RICE mode in the Instant Pot, and it comes out perfectly.
Dry roasted foxtail millet - did not brown much, but mixes well with rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Millet mixed with jasmine rice, 2 to one, but the jasmine still tastes incredible. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai red curry, with the chicken and bok choy stems added for the last few minutes of cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Thai curry, with eggplant, onion, bok choy, and chicken added, served on the millet/rice mix. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom