What's on your plate, Wednesday, May 17, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Italian sausage and onions over cheesy polenta with caponatina.
20230517_182022.jpg

For caponatina or caponata which ingredient(s) would you say are essential? I looked up some recipes and if I were to eat eggplant, tomato, and bell pepper in one dish, it would be a nightshade bomb and I would probably be walking with a cane the next day. It sounds more interesting than ratatouille, which I don't eat anymore.

DH isn't feeling well, so I made some chicken soup and served it with store bought samosas. The store bought chicken stock was lacking in flavour, so I added some vegan "chicken broth" powder. That was a big improvement. I added frozen carrots and green beans, and fresh celery, as well as some leftover rice from yesterday. I served that with samosas, because it was easy. I poached a frozen chicken breast in the stock and used about half of it in the soup. The rest will go in a chicken salad. DH is feeling a bit better after the "magic of chicken soup".

Homemade chicken soup and a store bought samosa.jpgHomemade chicken soup.jpg

I used half a zucchini and yellow squash, 1/2 of a large onion, 2 very young/small eggplants and a red bell pepper. Maybe sub mushrooms for the eggplant, or are you the one whose husband doesn't like them? Then use the squash and onions, and either red bells or tomatoes.

I saw it being made by an Italian American a few weeks ago. She cooked each vegetable separately with EVOO and S&P, then mixed them together and added a dressing of 1 anchovy, smashed and cooked lightly in 1/4 cup EVOO, with about 1/2 Tbsp chopped capers and 1 Tbsp chiffonade of basil. It can be served warm or room temp. I made it early afternoon and let it sit until dinner.

For caponatina or caponata which ingredient(s) would you say are essential? I looked up some recipes and if I were to eat eggplant, tomato, and bell pepper in one dish, it would be a nightshade bomb and I would probably be walking with a cane the next day. It sounds more interesting than ratatouille, which I don't eat anymore.
Eggplant

Back
Top Bottom