What's the difference between sweet & hot paprika?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carnivore

Senior Cook
I use paprika a LOT, but many times, i see the distinction "sweet paprika" or "hot paprika" in my recipes.
I don't know about you guys, but at all the grocery stores i shop at, they only have "Paprika".
So, 2 questions:
1) Where do you get "sweet" or "hot" paprika?
2) If it's just labeled "Paprika", does that mean that it's a combination of the two, or that it is one or the other?
thanks

Being Hungarian and all you'd think I'd know my Paprika!! LOL

I don't really know if plain paprika is a combination - I know I have sweet Hungarian in my cabinets now - and I know hot paprika is hot, a little goes a long way!

Now I'm going to have to do some investigation!

Carnivore, this web site gives a lengthy and detailed dissertation on all aspects of Paprika - more than anyone needs to know.:)

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Caps_ann.html

In glancing through it, I got the impression that most paprika is ground from dried Bell peppers, but that a number of other peppers are used, giving a wide range of sweet or hot paprikas.

Chiles seem to have originated in the Western Hemisphere and were transplanted ot Europe and Asia. Hungary has a climate appropriate for their version of the Bell pepper, giving rise to the fame of Hungareian Paprika.

I like to use the sweet stuff myself. I just add a little crushed red pepper to the recipe if I need more heat. :)

The real Hungarian stuff like Pride of Szeged is a MUST. The South American or Spanish stuff just doesn't taste the same. Maybe Romanian, Serbian or Croation might be the same just as a function of geography, I dunno.

To ring the changes, there is also smoked parika, which is divine in soups and casseroles. We can't get liquid smoke in these here parts, so I search for anything with a smoky flavour. I found some hickory smoked salt the other day, and that is also delicious.

Back
Top Bottom