What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've had an afternoon and evening of Christmas films of TV today - I know, I know - early August! Just finished watching "At The Christmas Table".

It must be incipient old age but I'm finding myself more and more stuck on soppy films

Last night I watched a Japanese movie on Hulu. Oh, Lucy! is a very odd movie. It’s billed as a comedy, but I don’t think I even chuckled once. It held my attention though. Josh Hartnett is in it, and Megan Mulalley has a cameo. Most of the other actors are Japanese, and the script is largely Japanese too. The end of the movie brings no resolution or happy end, or any end at all really. That’s pretty common in Japanese films, though.

I watched "Ulee's Gold" this afternoon. I first saw it back in the late '90's when it first came out. Peter Fonda plays Ulee - a sad and worn out widower but dedicated beekeeper who is faced with trying to put his dysfunctional family back together. Great movie.

I loved Patricia Richardson's role in this movie (Tim's wife in 'Home Improvement').:)

This is a good partial review I read earlier:

Surely one of the best human dramas of the last few years, Peter Fonda is great as Ulee Jackson, a deeply wounded but incredibly strong man who by sheer strength of will reaches out to drag back together a shattered family. His performance is a masterpiece of understatement.....

Last edited:
Last night we enjoyed a Netflix Original movie..

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society..

Introduction: In 1946 a London-based writer begins exchanging letters with residents on the island of Guernsey, which was German-occupied during WWII. Feeling compelled to visit the island, she starts to get a picture of what it was like during the occupation.

I enjoy historical stories, factual or fiction..

A star from Mama Mia 2 and one from Downton Abby were featured.. :)

Ross

We watched The Constant Gardner on Netflix, last night..

Assigned to a new post, reserved British diplomat Justin Quayle (Ralph Fiennes) relocates to Kenya with his lovely young wife, Tessa (Rachel Weisz), an activist for social justice. When Tessa is found murdered out in the wilderness, circumstances point to her friend, Dr. Arnold Bluhm (Hubert Koundé), but it is soon clear that he's not the killer. Grief-stricken and angry, Justin sets out to uncover the truth behind Tessa's murder -- and in the process, he unearths some disturbing revelations.

Lots of that in bold..

Ross

An oldie - Harrison Ford in Regarding Henry. Rich, arrogant lawyer survives being shot in the head during a hold-up. The road back is hard (his young daughter teaches him to tie his shoe). Sad, but very good.

Also Phantom Thread - Daniel Day Lewis. I surely hope this won't be his last performance, as I've heard rumored. His character is a famous, eccentric fashion designer - the gowns in the movie are wonderful. Quite a departure from The Gangs of New York, a Wow role for him.

October Sky, made in the 1990's based on a true story in West Virginia in the 1950's. The story took place in a coal mining town and centered on a 17 year old who was fascinated with Sputnik. Against all odds and his father's strong disapproval, he and others won a national science competition on a rocket they built, all got college scholarships, graduated, and made good. Very inspiring movie and a story I had not heard of, even though I was raised almost a stone's throw from West Virginia.

October Sky, made in the 1990's based on a true story in West Virginia in the 1950's. The story took place in a coal mining town and centered on a 17 year old who was fascinated with Sputnik. Against all odds and his father's strong disapproval, he and others won a national science competition on a rocket they built, all got college scholarships, graduated, and made good. Very inspiring movie and a story I had not heard of, even though I was raised almost a stone's throw from West Virginia.

Much of that movie was filmed here in our town and in a very small town two towns over. The theatre in Indianapolis, the ENNESEE, was actually our beautiful Tennessee Theatre before it was restored in the early 2000s.

Attachments

• octobersky11.jpg
    octobersky11.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 76
  • LMS_TNExterior.jpg
    LMS_TNExterior.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 91
Last night we enjoyed a Netflix Original movie..

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society..

Introduction: In 1946 a London-based writer begins exchanging letters with residents on the island of Guernsey, which was German-occupied during WWII. Feeling compelled to visit the island, she starts to get a picture of what it was like during the occupation.

I enjoy historical stories, factual or fiction..

A star from Mama Mia 2 and one from Downton Abby were featured.. :)

Ross

Ross, I started the book, and just couldn't get into it although the subject really interested me.

I just finished the very well done Netflix movie and I can't imagine that the book could have been better. The story and acting, not to mention the stunning visual scenery were all remarkable.
Thanks for the tip...time well spent.

I loved that movie. Thanks for the reminder, Beth. That was a good one!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom