What's the most important thing to you when eating out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol mish. i was really excited to see your pic, and ya gotchya'd me!!
ok, i will refrain from the "hey mish, nice tailfeather" jokes...

sush, i work in tv, not in a hospital, but there are a lot of mentally and physically challenged people here anyway. they call them producers, directors, the talent, and studio crews...

Good food, obviously - and value for money. I don't mind paying for great food (spent nearly $300 on a fabulous meal for our anniversary last summer), but I don't want to leave the restaurant hungry. Had a bad experience once, paid over $30 for one minute chicken breast with some sauce on it.....found out that veggies were 'extra' and 3 hours later (even after dessert) was searching round for a late-night fast-food place because we were so hungry :(

My list of pet restaurant hates:

*Waiters with bad breath, body odour or piercings
*Waiters that come and ask you 'how everything is' EVERY 5 minutes.
*Waiters that disturb your conversation with your partner/dinner guests.
*Cold food.
*Overdone food.
*Waiters that reach over you while you are eating in order to clear another guests plate away (In Europe it is correct etiquette to wait until all diners are finished eating before clearing anyone's plate away. I like that better than constantly being disturbed by waiters....).
*Having to 'save' your silverware for the next course (Again, in Europe, fresh silverware is always provided for each course, as it is here in better restaurants, but sadly, not the cheaper ones unless you remember to ask)
*Having to wait for ages, letting your food get cold, because you requested a sauce, condiment or more silverware

Paint.

buckytom said:
but there are a lot of mentally and physically challenged people here anyway. they call them producers, directors, the talent, and studio crews...

I understand a few got let go yesterday............

mudbug said:
buckytom said:
but there are a lot of mentally and physically challenged people here anyway. they call them producers, directors, the talent, and studio crews...

yep, big rumors going around today. apparently cbs (the cheap broadcast system) didn't pay mapes enough hush money. she's blabbing to the press that cbs ruined her career. she did it to herself. no one held a gun to her head and said put this on air now!!!
otherwise, morale is low, as is normal. i don't think they should have fired anyone. just moved them into programming and new show development. heck, they were the creative ones...

buckytom said:
lol mish. i was really excited to see your pic, and ya gotchya'd me!!
ok, i will refrain from the "hey mish, nice tailfeather" jokes...

sush, i work in tv, not in a hospital, but there are a lot of mentally and physically challenged people here anyway. they call them producers, directors, the talent, and studio crews...

Okay BT, as long as there are no "Cheep" jokes. :D :D :D

Yep, same in motion pix biz, BT. Ditto to all of the above...only in panavision & cinamascope.

Think? DS might be referring to your pic in scrubs...guessing that was a pic in the hospital when wife delivered??? Or - your screen test 8x10s.

Keep em comin' BT. Laughing my buns off.

lol, cheep, good one mish.
yep, that pic was about 5 minutes before i became a dad. i still have those scrubs. keeping it in a time capsule for my boy, along with a hospital baby blanket, the security badges we wore, the newspaper from that day, and a few other things.
gb, are you gonna do something similar? my only(?) regrets are that i intended to make a video of my wife and i for my son, telling him how much he is already loved, the night before he was born. i was barely able to get dw to allow me to take big belly pictures because we were so nervous...

buckytom said:
gb, are you gonna do something similar?
I am now. What a great idea! I also love the idea of making a video the night before. Hopefully i can talk DW into letting me tape her before the baby is in her arms :)

buckytom said:
mudbug said:
buckytom said:

yep, big rumors going around today. apparently cbs (the cheap broadcast system) didn't pay mapes enough hush money. she's blabbing to the press that cbs ruined her career. she did it to herself. no one held a gun to her head and said put this on air now!!!
otherwise, morale is low, as is normal. i don't think they should have fired anyone. just moved them into programming and new show development. heck, they were the creative ones...

Studio Never fires anyone...simply disconnect your office phones & move your office to the end of the lot. Or - Well, sorry, your job has been dissolved. Hey, blabbing is good PR...Should be a big pic deal in the future.

that's like the joke from steven wright "i lost my job last week. well, i didn't really lose it, i still know where it is, but someone else is doing it now"...

buckytom said:
that's like the joke from steven wright "i lost my job last week. well, i didn't really lose it, i still know where it is, but someone else is doing it now"...

:D :D
Steven wright, now he's really funny.

Most of us are pretty darned good cooks who love to do it, or at least aspire to that, or we wouldn't be here. So I'm with most when I agree that it's often #1 service -- we're here not just because we don't want to cook, but because we don't want to do all the other poopoo that comes with it. We want good service by freindly waitstaff, but not someone who tried to replace competency with friendliness. I run into this mostly at vacation destinations. They feel like if they make freinds with you, then you won't mind if they screw up your order or sit in a corner talking on the phone or smoking while your order sits there waiting. This attitude has almost, but not quite, replaced the snob waiter attitude which can be equally obnoxious. I once suggested a young freind of mine go to a certain restaurant in town for a special experience. The waiters totally intimidated her and her date, and I don't think she's easily intimidated (as a matter of fact, she is now preparing to marry a man she's been in a catering business with for awhile; now he's a chef). When I returned to the restaurant I commented on it, and did get an apology. Both ends of the spectrum are apalling, but somehow the over-freindly-incompetent gets forgiven, whereas totally competent, old-pros get called snobs because people aren't experienced with that type of restaurant. This end of the restaurant is so important, and almost impossible to find and maintain.

I want an experience! Good food, good atmosphere, AND good service. Remember simple little things like when someone was there to light your cigarette before you got it out of your pocket ... and they always covered the ashtray before they removed it from the table (after one flick of ash) and replaced it with a clean one?

Fort Worth isn't full of fancy places to eat ... that is that are not private clubs and are open to the general public. The best from 1960-1990 are all gone, except for one - The Balcony. The one thing that all the great places had in common was they were small, intimate, and it was a toss-up trying to decide if the food, service or atmostpehere was the best part of the evening.

I miss those days .... I also miss being able to fit into my tux from back then ...

Back
Top Bottom