What's the name of your favorite pizza place?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bangbang said:
Mama Mias
Jets
Shields

I used to work at Jet's when I was college age in detroit. It was better than the 'big 3' (pizza hut, dominoes, papa johns). Last time I ordered though a couple years back, wasn't nearly as good as before, I think they started to skimp on things. Shields was ok, like buddy's. Pizza papalis was good. And for the money, you couldn't beat little skeazers. Sometimes cheap tastes good!

I'm now in florida, Loop pizza grill & al's pizza are the favorites here. But both are sit down, no delivery. No pizza delivery is good here.

i am saddened to read how many people pick chain restaurant pizza as their faves. (cpk notwithstanding. their "pizzas", not really pizza in my book, are pretty good with the various odd toppings).

in my area, there are so many mom and pop pizza places, often owned by 1st or second generation italian american immigrants, that they make dominoes and pizza hut look like something melted on a cardboard box in the sun.

every time i see an aquaintance eating the "cardboard", i cringe and offer a suggestion of where else to try.

I've never been to NY or Boston, so I haven't tried any of the really good pizza places. I grew up in Tulsa, OK, eating pizza from the restaurant chain Mazzio's. Yummy!

They don't have Mazzio's up here in MI. I'd have to go to St. Louis, at the closest, or all the way down to Springfield to find one. If I'm going that far, I might as well go visit my parents in Tulsa.

We've got "The Big 3" here, as well as some locally-owned places that have branched out to a few locations. I've eaten all of their pizzas, and I'm just not impressed that much.

i used to like pizza hut when i was a kid...not anymore. my eyes have been opened. hehehe. (but i still go occasionally because my own kids and their friends want to go there--and yes, the other option is mcdonalds!-- during after-school playtimes. it must be a kid thing.)

ironchef said:
I'll probably be called a heathen for this from the East Coasters and Chicagoans but since I'm equating favorite to most frequented, then I'll say California Pizza Kitchen. Why? I just like the different flavors and combinations and how their pizza are "outside the box". Here's my favorites (copied from their site):

carne_asada.gif

Grilled steak, fire-roasted mild chilies, onions, cilantro pesto, Monterey Jack, and Mozzarella cheeses topped with fresh tomato salsa and cilantro. Served with a side of tomatillo salsa.

jamaican_jerk_chicken.gif

Grilled Jamaican Jerk spiced chicken breast with our spicy sweet Caribbean sauce, Mozzarella cheese, applewood smoked bacon, mild onions, roasted red & yellow peppers, and scallions.

shrimp_scampi.gif

Sauteed shrimp, mild onions, roasted garlic, Mozzarella cheese, fresh oregano and Italian parsley with a white wine lemon-garlic butter sauce.

goat_cheese_with_roasted_peppers.gif

Mild Goat cheese with roasted red & yellow peppers, grilled Japanese eggplant, Mozzarella cheese, carmelized onions, Italian parsley and our tomato sauce. Applewood smoked bacon added upon request.

milan.gif

A combination of grilled Italian sausage and sweet Italian sausage with sautéed wild mushrooms, caramelized onions, Fontina, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Topped with fresh herbs.

sicilian.gif

A spicy marinara sauce with sweet Italian sausage, spicy Capicola ham, julienne salami, Fontina, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Topped with fresh oregano and basil.

margherita.gif

The classic Italian pizza. Made with imported Italian tomatoes, Mozzarella and fresh Mozzarella cheeses topped with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.

I have had the goat cheese with roasted peppers...it was magnificent!

buckytom said:
this one's for you, verablue. take a ramble on down '46 to pizzatowne usa, in elmwood park.
best thin crust, not overcheesed pizza in our area imo. but it depends on who's working. the men of the tomo family (owners) make great pizza. the women are hit and miss.
ok, so there's a few real brick ovens around, but they don't seem to get the pizza thin enough, and then kill it with cheese, or the sauce is too sweet, not savory.

another good one is barcelona's in garfield for thin crust, and lovey's in hasbrouck heights. i heard they just re-opened.

and i've planned a pilgrimage to lombardi's for this september, when a buddy comes home for a visit. then it's off to coney island, and alternating trips between the cyclone, and nathan's.

Loveys has reopened, just got a menu in the mail. I may give it a shot tomorrow night. I haven't been to pizzatown in years...maybe 10 years. They kind of fell off my radar, but on your word, I'll give it a shot.

When is your NYC trip, I want to go, too.

buckytom said:
i am saddened to read how many people pick chain restaurant pizza as their faves. (cpk notwithstanding. their "pizzas", not really pizza in my book, are pretty good with the various odd toppings).

in my area, there are so many mom and pop pizza places, often owned by 1st or second generation italian american immigrants, that they make dominoes and pizza hut look like something melted on a cardboard box in the sun.

every time i see an aquaintance eating the "cardboard", i cringe and offer a suggestion of where else to try.

We're spoiled around here, Bucky...I think other parts of the country are lacking, seriously, in quality pizza joints. More for us, I say. I agree with you, chain pizza will never ever do it for me. I wonder which one of us will try the new place on 46 first...me or you?

Pizza

I like Bertuccis - no doubt that is spelled wrong - they are not in this area so have to wait till I visit my daughters - Md and Va to have the pizza
Joyce

We have a family owned pizzaria in the next town over and nobody has topped it in my mind, and the Chicago area is known for its pizza. The name is Ach & Lou's in Aurora (yes, the town famous for Wayne's World).

BC

VeraBlue said:
Loveys has reopened, just got a menu in the mail. I may give it a shot tomorrow night. I haven't been to pizzatown in years...maybe 10 years. They kind of fell off my radar, but on your word, I'll give it a shot.

When is your NYC trip, I want to go, too.

you are more than welcome vb. we'll even tolerate that guy from philly. :cool:

i think our next trip is planned for mid september. i'll let you know.

i can't wait to hit lovey's for a pie, pasta o' the day and a double side o' sausage. i used to live down the block on kipp ave. in lodi, so lovey's was a weekly happening, if not more often.

and lol, i've been taking 80 into the city lately, but if that new place is open, i'll take 46 and grab a pie on my way in.
i'll need to bring a bottle of frank's, and chopped raw onions.

Bucky, this place is supposed to be open for breakfast....

Are you telling me you'd put frank's hot sauce on your pizza...? You'd do that an only tolerate a guy from philly?????? hahahahaha. Man, we've got to straighten your priorities, son.:LOL:

Bangbang, you'd probably love the hot oil at Regina in Boston then! Try it at home. I made my own hot oil. I put dried oregano, thyme and basil, along with granulated garlic and lots of hot pepper flakes into a oil cruet...it's marvelous to cook with, too!

buckytom said:

Yes, but sometimes $ is the key. Pizza is cheap food. Sometimes people are broke. Little Caesars gives you a large 1 topping pizza for $5. If you only have 5 bucks, thats the best way you could spend it!

that might be the best way you could spend a fin, but that's not your best or favourite pizza, is it?

thecactuswill said:
If you only have 5 bucks, thats the best way you could spend it!
I could think of about a million better ways to spend $5 than at Little Ceasars lol. For instance, most mom and pop pizza places around here sell a small pizza for less than $5. I would much rather have a good pizza like that then fast food pizza like Little Ceasars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom