What's wrong with American baguettes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, this is a joke, right? Hilarious [emoji1787] [emoji1787] [emoji1787]
If its a joke, how do explain that after eating dark bread for eons, some people started eating white bread, which eventuality pretty much took over the non- peasant world?

How Baking Works - Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science by Paula I. Figoni

WHY IS WHITE FLOUR ENRICHED?

The milling process involves removing bran and germ from the endosperm. When this is done, vitamins and minerals, dietary fiber, and protein and fat from the bran and germ are removed. It is likely that other important unidentified nutrients are also removed. Flour enrichment replaces certain vitamins and minerals that are lost from milling. It does not replace the dietary fiber in the bran, the high-quality protein in the germ, or other potentially important yet unidentified nutrients in the bran and germ.

Flour enrichment began in the United States in the early 1940s after government surveys found that a high incidence of disease was caused by certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The enforced enrichment of white flour virtually eliminated two of these diseases, beriberi and pellagra.

Periodically, the U.S. and Canadian governments reevaluate the nutritional needs of North Americans. In the late 1990s, folic acid was added to the list of required vitamins and minerals added to enriched flour. Folic acid prevents certain birth defects, including spina bifida, and can also reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/295235#when_is_bread_not_healthful

What is refined flour?

To make white bread or white flour, manufacturers process the grain to remove the bran and the germ, leaving only the endosperm.

Products made with refined flour have a finer, lighter texture and usually have a longer shelf life.

However, processing removes most or all of the fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The remaining endosperm provides quick, easily digestible carbohydrates but little else.

This can lead to nutritional deficiencies, so manufacturers now produce “enriched” flours.

They add back some of the missing nutrients to the processed white flour, using supplements, such as folic acid and other B vitamins.

However, supplemental vitamins are not as good as vitamins that come naturally from food sources. Usually, the human body can better absorb and process nutrients from unprocessed sources.

When is bread not healthful?

The highly processed flour and additives in white, packaged bread can make it unhealthful. Consuming too much white bread can contribute to obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

However, buying bread with the word “whole” as the first ingredient still does not guarantee a healthful product. It is only the first step.

Even whole-grain bread can contain 20 or more ingredients, including preservatives and added salt and sugars. Not all of these contribute to good health.

Preservatives may help bread stay fresh for longer, but people can store fresh bread that contains fewer preservatives in the refrigerator or freezer to maintain freshness.

Many types of bread contain added sugars or sugar substitutes. People should avoid those with corn syrup or any that contain ingredients ending in “-ose” listed at the beginning of the ingredient list because these are all sugars. Examples include sucrose, glucose, and fructose.

Manufacturers typically order an ingredients list according to the weight of ingredients in the product. Ingredients that appear near the top of the list will be present in relatively high proportions.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265556

Effects of obesity on the body.

The American Heart Association (AHA) Trusted Source notes that 60-70% of the US population is either overweight or obese, putting them at risk for heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and diabetes.

According to the AHA, obesity affects nearly 78 million adults and 13 million children in the US today.

The organization notes that when we are within a healthy weight range, our bodies more effectively circulate blood, manage fluid levels easier and decrease risks for certain cancers and sleep apnea, among others.

Additionally, the AHA says that when we eat too many calories or too much saturated fat, our blood cholesterol levels often rise, increasing risks of heart diseases.

The report from GlobalData says that those who reported having an obese family member were nearly four times more likely to become obese themselves. Aside from genetics, suggested factors include sharing an environment and similar diet habits within a family, which could contribute to the risk of obesity.

If its a joke, how do explain that after eating dark bread for eons, some people started eating white bread, which eventuality pretty much took over the non- peasant world?
Industrialization. For eons, only wealthy people could afford to hire staff to do the work of removing the bran, finely grinding the wheat and making soft white bread. Naturally, people who couldn't afford it wanted it as it represented a luxurious lifestyle rather than the life of hard work and poverty that most people experienced. Once the process was mechanized, it became available to more people for an affordable price.

I am curious, though, how you got the idea that it had to do with the color of French peasants' underwear and how you know what color it was.
White bread flour strips out most of the nutrition of wheat.
The reason is underwear. French peasants wore no underwear or black underwear. This needed infrequent washing (think about it). Capitalists and the aristocracy started wearing white underwear because it required more frequent washing which showed they were so rich they could afford daily laundry. Peasants also ate dark, fully nutritious, bread, so the capitalists starting eating white bread to show they were economically superior to dark bread eaters-- it cost money to destroy the nutritional value of wheat (dark bread).

Last edited:
Actually, medieval peasants changed their underwear a lot, often more than once a day. Underwear was worn to protect the heavier outer clothing from picking up sweat and body oils and to mitigate the itchiness of the wool that almost all of their outerwear was made from. It's easier and faster to wash small articles of clothing made of flax (linen) or cotton than large items made of wool.

Despite the history - from Midieval undergarments on up to the present time - I still like our baguettes and do not think there is anything wrong with them.

Apples and Oranges. I happen to like both!
food-and-drinks-fruit-bowls-582137.gif

Good baguettes can be baked anywhere on the planet. It is a matter of ingredients and technique as with all cooking and baking. I suspect the baguettes you had in France were baked by a talented baker.

I had an experience with local natural yeast in my old cooking school kitchen. I set some soft dough out for many days and watched it turn into a bubbly starter. I baked some sourdough loafs using it. They didn't have the taste and tang of sourdough made from available commercial starters. My conclusion was that the local airborn yeast was just not that good. I finally tossed the starter when the employees started complaining about the aroma in the office. :) Commercial starter for me, thank you.

not in agreement with that idea....

#1 - the theory of 'airborne yeast' has been DNA-ically disproven. the 'invading yeast' comes from yeast spores in the wheat/aka flour being used. if you have/maintain a 'non-local' starter, it will eventually be overcome by yeasts in the flour you use locally.

having lived in Germany, "baked anywhere on the planet" is definitely not true.
European flours are of different strains, they are milled and processed differently, and they produce results 'other' than the typical USA brand/supermarket stock.

on the opposite: do not try making USA southern style biscuits with Euro T45 flour . . .

real actual life experience.

A friend with a severe gluten allergy can eat all the bread and pastries her heart desires, in France...but not a bite here in the U.S. Unless she wishes to spend the evening in distress.

Ginny, not surprised as in all probability the bakery's might use a highly processed white flour that has become devoid of gluten - so they add extra in order to give rise and more nutrition. IMHO

Dragn, she did a lot of research and found that our grains have been "bred" to be resistant to various diseases. Apparently, this is not practiced in Europe. Her theory is that this makes all the difference for her. I told her I would be tempted to move...or, at the very least, order European flours and make my own bread. Have you ever tried the commercial GF breads? Blech! IMHO.

not in agreement with that idea....

#1 - the theory of 'airborne yeast' has been DNA-ically disproven. the 'invading yeast' comes from yeast spores in the wheat/aka flour being used. if you have/maintain a 'non-local' starter, it will eventually be overcome by yeasts in the flour you use locally.

having lived in Germany, "baked anywhere on the planet" is definitely not true.
European flours are of different strains, they are milled and processed differently, and they produce results 'other' than the typical USA brand/supermarket stock.

on the opposite: do not try making USA southern style biscuits with Euro T45 flour . . .

real actual life experience.
Yes, there are many more grades of flour in Europe than in the U.S. Here we have four basic wheat flour grades - bread, AP, pastry and cake. In Europe there are many grades of just bread flour. These flours are available in the U.S. as imports but I think it is a myth that an American baker can't produce similar results to a European baker using American flour.

I accept your input on "invading yeast." That the local yeast comes primarily from the flour rather than airborne "invasion" makes perfect sense. I thank you for that.

Back
Top Bottom