What's Your 4th of July Feast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Mine is going to be:
Hassleback Potato with herbed butter
Broiled Lobster tail with lemon butter
Slow roasted Maple glazed Country Pork Rib
Shrimp Tempura with Honey-lemon dipping sauce
Butter sautéed Sugar snap peas, with dill
Buttered ear of fresh corn
Crunchy Garlic Dill pickle
Lemon-raspberry slush

I will take pictures:w00t2:

It's great knowing how to cook:chef:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
We will be going out to relatives home in the countryside for a family gathering, complete with fireworks.

My grandson will be grilling ribs, tri tip, hot dogs and burgers. :yum:

Ross

As promised, pictures. Was this ever yummy. Everything came out perfect. :yum::mrgreen:

My favorites were the maple glazed pork, tempura shrimp, and corn. There wasn't room on the plate for the black olives, or my DIL's fabulous, super crunchy dill pickles. They were enjoyed though.
The least favorite item was the broiled lobster tail with drawn butter. It was done properly, tender and well flavored, However, I keep wanting to love lobster, For me though, it's just kind of meh. Wish I'd gotten a couple of King crab legs instead. Ant that Key West pink shrimp, well that's just some fine eating, especially with that light, crunchy batter, with the shrimp deep fried in
ghee. Ice cold raspberry lemonade was the perfect beverage with this meal The Hassleback potatoes had an herby compound butter worked between the slices before baking until done, with crispy edges. Ok, pictures:

Attachments

• 4th of July 2021-5.jpg
    4th of July 2021-5.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 4th of Julyb2021-1.jpg
    4th of Julyb2021-1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 89
Hi Chief, you know you won my heart with all that seafood, and corn on the cob, yummy. OH HECK, EVERYTHING - OK? LOL

Hi Chief, you know you won my heart with all that seafood, and corn on the cob, yummy. OH HECK, EVERYTHING - OK? LOL

And they say that the way to a man's heart...

Frying the tempura shrimp in ghee was an experiment, a very happy experiment. The shrimp was sliced part way through, on the curled side to remove the curl, the dredged in a mixture of half flour, half cornstarch, and a little baking powder and salt. Excess coating was shaken off, and the shrimp was allowed to dry while I added water to make the batter. The ghee was brought to temp, and the shrimp were dunked, and deep fried until golden. The coating was buttery, crispy, and still mild enough to let the full flavor of the shrimp shine through. I now have a new, favorite cooking method for tempura shrimp.. I highly recommend it.

Z\Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Spicy peanut butter chicken on spiralized boodles (boniatos) and zoodles (zucchini). The sauce is basically a satay sauce, just thinner.

Attachments

• 20210704_182811.jpg
    20210704_182811.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 53
Cheeseburger on a sesame seed kaiser roll with fried onion, baked beans and bean salad.

burger_070421_2_IMG_8243.jpg

burger_070421_1_IMG_8241.jpg

And they say that the way to a man's heart...

Frying the tempura shrimp in ghee was an experiment, a very happy experiment. The shrimp was sliced part way through, on the curled side to remove the curl, the dredged in a mixture of half flour, half cornstarch, and a little baking powder and salt. Excess coating was shaken off, and the shrimp was allowed to dry while I added water to make the batter. The ghee was brought to temp, and the shrimp were dunked, and deep fried until golden. The coating was buttery, crispy, and still mild enough to let the full flavor of the shrimp shine through. I now have a new, favorite cooking method for tempura shrimp.. I highly recommend it.

Z\Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That sounds just soo delicious. What a great idea. Thanks a lot Chief, good to hear from you again.

Chief, deep frying in ghee is a new one to me. It sounds good though. Ghee would have a high smoke point and it would give some buttery flavour. Your meal sounds luscious.

Msmofet, sounds like we had very similar inspiration for our meals.

DH grilled some burgers and toasted the sesame seed kaiser buns on the upper rack of the grill. He has gotten it down now, to cook his burgers well done and mine medium rare. Very tasty.

We had bean salad with it and garlic dill pickles and some other stuff to put on our burgers, which can be seen in the picture.

Grilled burgers, bean salad, and the fixings.jpg

We had our holiday meal yesterday with the hole family here.

Tonight I marinated some cubed chicken breast in a fairly standard Asian marinade and cooked it in the wok. We had that with some l/o pasta salad.

FBDA4EB9-F8DF-4331-873C-ACC3A454506A_1_105_c.jpg

Just chillin' - no grillin'. Instead, we ate up the last of Friday's hot dogs, two a piece. Himself finished the leftover beans and had a small bowl of watermelon. I had a huge pile of watermelon. Two full tummies.

Found a lonely loin roast of antelope in the bottom of the freezer. Salted, peppered, and garlicked, it was browned in butter and roasted at 250° to an internal temp of 120°: medium rare. Morello cherry/red wine reduction. Sprayed olive oil on cubed, boiled spuds and crisped them at 400°, then added chunks of zucchini and red bell pepper, grilled yesterday. Steamed asparagus.

The wine was 2014 Neyers Sage Canyon Red, a blend of carignane, mourvedre, and syrah.

No pictures, alas. I was too busy cooking.

We went to spend the day with my family about two hours west of home. My mom and her two sisters, an uncle, five of my cousins and their spouses and one little boy. It was great fun.

My cousin grilled dogs and burgers and all the fixings were available. The rest of us brought a variety of salads and it was surprising that there were no duplicates [emoji16] Someone made deviled eggs because it's not a party in the South without them [emoji1787] One cousin made his famous chocolate pudding cake and another cousin's daughter made brownies with festive sprinkles. A fitting feast. [emoji39]

Back
Top Bottom