What's Your Favorite Cold Cereal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We all love our breakfast options, from a half grapefruit, to cold, leftover pizza, to the many different types of cooked eggs, pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, biscuits with sausage gravy...

But sometimes, just sometimes, you just don't want hot Red River, or to have to prepare anything. That's where cold cereal becomes the star. Here are my favorites. I'm interested to see your fav's.

*Boxed cereals that you could pour milk right into the box, and chow down (a favorite when I was a child)
*Full sized Shredded Wheat (sadly, only mini wheats are still available, and frosted to boot)
*Life, original flavor
*Raisin Bran
*Granola Clusters
*Muesli
*Grape Nuts

As a child:
*Life
*Shredded Wheat
*Honey Smacks
*Anything with freeze-dried fruit in it
*Kellogg's Corn Pops
*Cheerios (they had the Cheerios Kid:rolleyes:)
*Honeycomb
*Trix

All the cold cereal I have ever eaten was swimming in whole milk. Fresh fruit makes them even better.

So, what were/are your favorite cold cereals?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Cheerios with bananas or blueberries

Cinnamon Toast Crunch (I'm a sucker for cinnamon!)

P.S. I got tired of eating a bowl of cereal and finding a blob of undissolved sugar in the bottom of the bowl so I've been combining sugar and milk in the bowl and stirring to combine then adding cereal and fruit. Works better.

Overnight oats. They can be eaten cold, warm, or hot. I like it cold in the summer, warm the rest of the year.

I mostly enjoy a carrot-apple-pineapple overnight oats. And I use fermented 9 grain flakes, just because I like those. I put ground chia and flax seeds in mine. I generally use a little honey if I use a sweetener, apple or pear sauce works too. If I have almond or soy milk on hand I might use that, water also works just fine.

Essentially: milk (plant or otherwise), oats, fruit, nuts, sweetener or not.
Leave in the fridge in a pint jar overnight.

https://plantbasedonabudget.com/overnight-oats/

My favourite is homemade muesli. I can tailor it to what we like. When I make a batch of it, I don't add any sugar. That way everyone can put the amount of sugar they want.

My favourite as a kid was always Apple Jacks. I would eat it all the time, not just for breakfast! I don't eat much cereal anymore, but my kids do. They are OBSESSED with Lucky Charms... I think it's just the marshmallows!

Hi Linda! Welcome. Don't tell your kids, but General Mills sells Lucky Charms Just Magical Marshmallows. ;)

I stopped eating cold cereal when I realized I got hungry sooner than from anything else I had for breakfast. I do treat myself to a bag of Bob's Red Mill granola on rare occasion to have with yogurt and fresh fruit when the mood strikes. In cooler weather, I make a pot of steel cut oats for several breakfasts in a week.

Sometimes I make granola. I don't really think of it as a breakfast cereal. To me, it's a snack to munch on, as is. Or it can be a great topping. Anyone else ever have "yogourt paradiso"? It's some canned fruit, plain yogourt, and topped with a bunch of granola. It's an old "hippie" dessert.

tiger

I grew up on Kellogg's Frosted Flakes!

These days I buy supermarket knockoffs of plain mini shredded wheat, bran flakes, and Cheerios.

A cereal flashback from the Roseanne television series.

Roseanne: That's a brand name, Meryl, Bon appetite. We buy generic, only second best for my family.
Darlene: No, I eat the brand-name cereal.
Roseanne: No, actually it's the brand name box, I've just been buying the generic cereal and refilling the box since 1985.
Darlene: You mean I've been eating generic Frankenberries?
Roseanne: I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

i guess granola, with chocolate chips preferably. I generally get what's on sale or whatever my family didn't eat.

Grape Nuts Flakes, and they're getting harder and harder to find. I haven't seen a box in a supermarket for at least 10 years. There are several Amazon sellers that have it, but they sell them in multipacks of anywhere from 3 to 5 18oz boxes at least twice the MSRP per box.

I'm gonna second Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. It is extra convenient that both Walmart and Winco sell it in individual bowl packages. It is a favorite for "travel days" when we are heading out for a camping trip. That's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Back
Top Bottom