What's your favorite cookbook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalliela

Assistant Cook
I am getting a very small collection of cookbooks, so I don't have much to choose from. But I think I like a tiny cookbook I got from the inn we stayed at on our honeymoon. Has the best recipe for corn pudding. Also, I just got the Bon Appetit cookbook, it's huge and has a lot of things I want to try!

You?

I have an older Betty Crocker one from the mid 70s that I am in love with.
a lot of my vegan recipes came from concept from that single cookbook and it's usually the first book I grab when looking for ideas and researching for my own recipes.

I with garlicjosh- I love my bettycrocker -I also got it back in the early 70's.
I also love the cookbooks that churches and schools put out. They are great as the local people submit their recipes.

I with garlicjosh- I love my bettycrocker -I also got it back in the early 70's.
I also love the cookbooks that churches and schools put out. They are great as the local people submit their recipes.

Church Cookbooks are the best!

All we really have around here is churches and bars so it's super easy every year or every other year to find a small collection of them..I've come to terms that all the great recipes I find when going through my grandmas cookbooks..all the best ones are from Churches.

Ya, amen on that! I actually attend church often and I go to a home bible study on Sunday evenings where there is a potluck every week:). So, I get to make something, or try to once a week. And ya, churches can put on the potlucks! Lord knows how to provide a feast! The women at church make homemade things often, I especially like the homemade mexican dishes...yum:). If ya haven't been to a church potluck...I gotta say, one may be missing out on some good eatin!

I have over 100 cookbooks, and I love each one for different reasons, but I would have to say my favorite one would be the ORIG. Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook that my grandma had (from 1950). I got it when she passed away. The notes on the side and the recipe cards in her hand writing are priceless. She also cut out several things from magazines and newspapers and put them in. When I baked at her house I can remember using this book. Usually for cookies. It is falling apart, and some of the pages are missing. I can still smell the bread baking at Grandms's house!

On a recipe card that was stuck in the book for brining meat, my grandpa had written; Use less salt...Too much Dam Salt! :ohmy::LOL:

Aww, that is priceless. Sounds like a great grandma:). Passed down items are really special, I don't have any but would love a passed down cookbook for sure! I did have a grandpa that made the best strawberry pie..never did get that recipe..I may have to hit up g-ma and try to get it. If she doesn't have it..I will ask him in heaven maybe:). It was that good! Oh and I just got two church cookbooks. One is like a slow cooker one and the other emphasizes on potlucks, haven't tried any recipes in them but hopefully will find a few winners:).

Last edited:
Heheh... I have a box of cards, a notebook, and an old betty crocker with notes from my Granny, dating from the time she became a homemaker in the 20s to the early 90s when she passed away, including her recipe for "grape wine" dated suspiciously during prohibition. ;)

I ordered a new cook book today ( Eat what you love) by Marlen Koch recipies are all supposed to be healther. I will post about it after I review it. I saw a presentation about it on QVC but I ordered it from Amazon and saved ten dollars.

Josie

My fav is probably You-Tube &/or google search. I just want the general idea then I go from there. I have problems follow'n rules or instructions.:angel:

Also get great ideas from forums like this.

Oh--with over 1000 cookbooks, I like my Better Homes and Garden cookbook from the '50s (the same one my mom got as a wedding gift) and, my favorite Junior League cookbook is Putting on the Peach Tree from Atlanta, Georgia. I also like the Best of Bridge series and the Company is Coming series. And, the one from the Norwegian church in Montreal...and...Joy of Cooking...and I best stop now.

I use the Joy of Cooking a lot - I have both the original and the newer version, but I like the original better. I also have the Women's Day Encycolpedia of cooking set that I've have for 40 years. I've probably cornered the market on cookbooks, but I seem to use those the most.

Of the 50 or so in my collection, I love my old Betty Crocker and give it as a gift at bridal showers but I have to agree with all the other comments about church cook books - they really are wonderful! I also have my grandmother's recipe box that I cherish. Rachel Rays are nice for entertaining and the Moosewood is great for soups and salads.

I use the Joy of Cooking a lot - I have both the original and the newer version, but I like the original better. I also have the Women's Day Encycolpedia of cooking set that I've have for 40 years. I've probably cornered the market on cookbooks, but I seem to use those the most.

Funny you should mention an encyclopedia of cooking. Those of you who have read any of my posts will not be surprized that I have a story.

When I was a teenager in Michigan, I got a set called "Better Homes and Gardens Encyclopedia of Cooking." Well...I got all but volume #15 out of the set because I got them each week at the store, and missed that week. For several years (about 15) I had the set without #15. Then one day it came in the mail! Mom had been at a garage sale back in Michigan, and found the entire set. The lady liked her story, and sold her one book (#15) out of the set to send to me. How did Mom remember that it was #15 that I needed?-That was my nunber in HS sports!

My favorite number? 15 I actually use this set quite a bit. Anyone else have this set?

I have an encyclopedia of cooking as well, and I absolutely love it!! Unfortunately it's not the Better Homes and Garden's version. My aunt got me mine at Willams-Sonoma, and it's only one book! But, I love how I can look anything up when I need to know a technique or type of food.

I am also a sucker for easy and delicious meals, so my favorite book would have to be The Best of 30-Minute Recipes from Around the World. All the recipes are super-easy and don't require much work, but are also delicious. My favorite recipe is a Hearty Minestrone that I have featured on my blog!

Another fav. is The Sopranos cookbook... but I still have yet to tackle the more difficult recipes!

I have an encyclopedia of cooking as well, and I absolutely love it!! Unfortunately it's not the Better Homes and Garden's version. My aunt got me mine at Willams-Sonoma, and it's only one book! But, I love how I can look anything up when I need to know a technique or type of food.

I am also a sucker for easy and delicious meals, so my favorite book would have to be The Best of 30-Minute Recipes from Around the World. All the recipes are super-easy and don't require much work, but are also delicious. My favorite recipe is a Hearty Minestrone that I have featured on my blog!

Another fav. is The Sopranos cookbook... but I still have yet to tackle the more difficult recipes!

Minestrone soup sounds good. I will make it soon. YUM! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom