What's your favorite cranberry sauce recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tahoemyst

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I am looking for an absolutely killer cranberry sauce recipe for this Turkey Day. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe? I am especially interested in an orange/cranberry sauce. Thanks so much.

There are so many variations. These are two that are a little different from the usual but very delicious. I love the taste of vanilla in the first one, and I love the combination of cherries in the second.

Caramel Cranberry Relish
1 Large orange, chopped with skin into small dice
1 c Sugar
2 tb + 1/4 c water
2 ts Ginger, fresh, grated
1 Cinnamon stick
1 Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 lb Cranberries, picked over
1/2 c Raisins

1.Combine sugar and 2 tb of water in a large, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring. until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking, without stirring, just until mixture turns golden brown.
2.Stir in orange pieces, ginger, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3.Stir in cranberries, raisins and remaining 1/4 c water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5-8 minutes, or until half of the cranberries pop open.
4.Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Refrigerate in tightly closed jar - keeps for 3 months.

Cranberry Cherry Relish
1 c Cherries, canned or fresh, pitted
1 1/2 c Cranberries, picked over
2 c Brown sugar
1 1/2 c Raisins
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Cloves
1 Orange, seeds removed, chopped into small dice
1 Lemon, seeds removed, chopped into small dice
1/3 c Vinegar (cider or another mild vinegar)
1/2 Stick cinnamon
1/2 ts Nutmeg, fresh grated

1.Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cook slowly, stirring often, over medium heat until mixture thickens.
2.Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick. Refrigerate in tightly closed jar - keeps for 3 months.

Thanks, Kansas girl. They both sound great! I'm thinking the vanilla would add a great flavor to the cranberries. I will keep you posted on which cranberry recipe I use. I appreciate your help.

Open up a can of Ocean Spray Cranberry JELLY, not whole berry.
Open up a can of pineapple chunks, drain it
Open up a can of mandarin orange segments, drain it
1/2 cup chopped walnuts.

Mix all together. Put in a nice crystal bowl. Serve.

I love Cranberry Jelly, since I was raised with it, I never
really liked whole berry.

For many years, I have appraised this preparation as the ultimate Cranberry Chutney. It’s an exemplary side dish for roast lamb in particular, but ideal for a sumptuous turkey feast, too.

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light-brown sugar
2/3 cup cider vinegar
2 cups water
¾ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp EACH allspice, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 EACH lemon, lime, and orange: grated zest & diced flesh
1 small grapefruit: diced fruit only
¾ cup chopped dried apricots
2/3 cup sultana raisins
½ cup dried currants
Two 12-oz. bags of fresh cranberries
2 firm-ripe pears; peeled, cored, and diced

In heavy saucepan, dissolve the sugars in vinegar & water. Add spices, citrus fruit & peel, apricots, raisins, and currants. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.

Stir in the cranberries & pears; stir and simmer over moderate heat for 25-30 minutes, or until thickened to your preference.

Remove from heat and spoon into sterilized jars. Seal & store in a cool, dark place.

Here's a couple I have. I made the Cranberry Sauce recipe years ago, and it was good! I need to make some this year.

Cranberry Sauce
Yields: 2 ½ c

¼ c fresh orange juice
¾ c water
1 T fresh lime juice
1 c sugar
1 12 oz bag of cranberries
1/8 t kosher salt
zest of one orange
zest of one lemon

Over high heat, boil the O.J., water, lime juice, and sugar, until sugar dissolves. Add the berries, the salt, and the zest’s. Reduce heat and simmer. Cook until it reaches your desired thickness and texture.

Cranberry Chutney
Yields: 4 c

1 T olive oil
1 c onion, chopped
1 t garlic, minced
¾ cider vinegar
¼ c balsamic vinegar
1 T lime juice
1 c sugar
1 12 oz bag cranberries
1 c apple, cored and chopped, unpeeled
½ c golden raisins
½ c dried apricots, chopped
2 t gingerroot, chopped
2 whole cloves
1 t red pepper flakes
½ t kosher salt
zest of one lime

Over medium-high heat, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar’s, lime juice, and sugar. Cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Add the fruits, gingerroot, seasonings, and lime zest. Reduce the heat, simmer and stir for 15 – 20 minutes.

Cranberries have a lot of natural pectin. To keep your sauces from being runny, just cook them until the mix reads 220-225 degree (F) on your thermometer. Another handy measurement is to drop a bit on a cool plate to see if it gels, which it usually will (altitude and humidity dependent) after about 15 minutes of hard boiling. I wish all fruit were as cooperative as cranberries!

There are some fantastic recipes here!

Thank you all for posting your recipes and helpful hints. I have 3 other friends who are looking for cranberry sauce recipes and I will forward. Happy Upcoming Turkey Day to all!

Back
Top Bottom