What's Your Favorite Fresh Salmon Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess you're not a sushi fan! or poke, for that matter., I'm like that with eggs, a runny yoke makes me want to gag.

The restaurants around here ask if you want your salmon cooked rare, medium, or well-done. I haven't noticed that in other parts of the country.

Definitely NOT a sushi fan! or poke! or ceviche! Like runny yolks though. lol::LOL:

Funny, don't ever remember having salmon in a restaurant. Just not something I would order. Keep in mind I also can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant with enough quality to even serve salmon. :ermm:

Definitely NOT a sushi fan! or poke! or ceviche! Like runny yolks though. lol::LOL:

Funny, don't ever remember having salmon in a restaurant. Just not something I would order. Keep in mind I also can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant with enough quality to even serve salmon. :ermm:
Just the word 'runny yolk' puts me off, yet I can eat century egg, which puts off a lot of people. We each have such different tastes.

There are definitely regional differences in restaurants and experiences. I was at a national conference in Victoria BC, and, of course, salmon and other seafood was on the (excellent) buffet at a high-end hotel. Some of the people at my table were from Ontario & the Prairies, and more than one person had no idea what to do with the mussels, clams, oysters, and said they rarely ate fish.

On the other hand, I've been to conferences in Halifax where lobster was freely served, which is unusual here. We get a lot of crab, which is a lot more work to eat lol.

Virtually every restaurant here serves salmon, and specifies if it's wild caught or farmed. You can usually ask for an upgrade to wild, though wild salmon is typically served.

Last edited:
Dad was from the Maritimes. We often spent summers there. So fish and shellfish were not strangers to us in mid Ontario.

He used to have huge wood barrels of oysters shipped in for their annual anniversary every year (oct).

LOL, LVDeb, good one!

Actually after all this talk about salmon, got me a piece yesterday and threw it on the grill in foil. A rub of oil, sprinkle with S&P and a tiny bit of sugar....

DELISH!!!!!!

I love salmon. It's one of my favorite fishes to eat both raw and cooked. One dish I make frequently is a riff on Roy Yamaguchi's Hibachi Salmon with Ponzu. I use the same marinade (equal parts soy sauce/sugar) but I let my salmon marinate for at least 24 hours, and sometimes up to 48. The fish does not break down, and you get a better glaze when you cook it.

The sauce is a homemade spicy ponzu with crispy fried garlic added in for flavor and texture. I like to cook this under the broiler to caramelize the surface, but still keeping the interior of the salmon cooked no more than medium. To me it's more consistent than grilling or pan searing.

Attachments

• Salmon.jpg
    Salmon.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My go-to salmon recipe -- and living in a fishing town, I eat a lot of it -- is the same one I used for the sablefish in the Sturgeon thread.

Pinbone the filet, marinate in white miso, mirin, sake (or xiaoxiing wine) and soy, then broil in the toaster oven fo 5 - 8 minutes, depending on thickness. Fast and prefect! (Pacific salmon, any variety).

https://www.seriouseats.com/miso-glazed-salmon-in-the-toaster-oven-recipe

Last edited:
My go-to salmon recipe -- and living in a fishing town, I eat a lot of it -- is the same one I used for the sablefish in the Sturgeon thread.

Pinbone the filet, marinate in white miso, mirin, sake (or xiaoxiing wine) and soy, then broil in the toaster oven fo 5 - 8 minutes, depending on thickness. Fast and prefect! (Pacific salmon, any variety).

https://www.seriouseats.com/miso-glazed-salmon-in-the-toaster-oven-recipe

Summer, have you ever tried Misoyaki Sablefish/Butterfish or Salmon? Similar technique like what you mentioned, except you marinate a lot longer. 48 hours is best, and the finished product will be a little sweeter.

A classic recipe with the technique is below. You don't need to make the butter sauce, the fish is good just on it's own. I learned how to make this as a line cook working at Roy's in Hawaii a long time ago, and I still use this recipe to this day.

https://www.today.com/recipes/hawai...erfish-kim-chee-lime-butter-sauce-wbrp9361150

Summer, have you ever tried Misoyaki Sablefish/Butterfish or Salmon? Similar technique like what you mentioned, except you marinate a lot longer. 48 hours is best, and the finished product will be a little sweeter.

A classic recipe with the technique is below. You don't need to make the butter sauce, the fish is good just on it's own. I learned how to make this as a line cook working at Roy's in Hawaii a long time ago, and I still use this recipe to this day.

https://www.today.com/recipes/hawai...erfish-kim-chee-lime-butter-sauce-wbrp9361150

I had a recipe for Butterfish somewhere, but can't find it now.
GREAT!
Now I need to make it :LOL:
IC, you worked at Roy's in Kahala? One of our favs, for sure!!

I love salmon. It's one of my favorite fishes to eat both raw and cooked. One dish I make frequently is a riff on Roy Yamaguchi's Hibachi Salmon with Ponzu. I use the same marinade (equal parts soy sauce/sugar) but I let my salmon marinate for at least 24 hours, and sometimes up to 48. The fish does not break down, and you get a better glaze when you cook it.

The sauce is a homemade spicy ponzu with crispy fried garlic added in for flavor and texture. I like to cook this under the broiler to caramelize the surface, but still keeping the interior of the salmon cooked no more than medium. To me it's more consistent than grilling or pan searing.

I use ponzu with ling cod, hake and other white fish, but rarely with salmon. I don't use spices/garlic with salmon, either.

With salmon, I like to keep it simple. And yes, rare to medium is fine with me!

I think Sockeye might be my favorite cold smoked salmon.

We have started buying some cold smoked, wild caught, Pacific sockeye. Yes, that is delicious salmon.

I could buy some land based farmed salmon that is cold smoked, but I would have to taste some first. Closed system, land based fish farming is prone to having geosmin in the water. Geosmin is the chemical responsible for the "earthy" scent of petrichor (the smell of a light rain on soil) and the earthy taste of beets. I do not want it in fish. I read that it is the reason that some people don't like freshwater fish. Well, I'm one of the people who don't like freshwater fish, even though I haven't noticed geosmin in it. If I ever try some freshwater fish again, I will try to notice if I can detect it.

Back
Top Bottom