What's Your Favorite Fresh Salmon Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LVDeb

Cook
Got a big o'l slab of salmon in the freezer. Usually I glaze it with maple syrup, bake it and serve w/wild rice.

What's your favorite? I'm up for trying something new.

I don't like and don't eat cooked salmon. I like to make gravad laks. It's very easy and oh so good. I either buy commercially frozen salmon or freeze it for a minimum of a week at -18°C (0°F). That way I am assured that any parasites are dead. So, your salmon would work for gravad laks. It can be done in a few hours, I'm told. I use a more conventional recipe that takes a couple of days. Use it any way you would use cold smoked salmon.

Last edited:
Just looked it up and that sounds really good. A couple days doesn't bother me at all. Would you share your recipe?

I assume it still has the skin? Make a tray of foil, punch holes in it, put a layer of which ever wood chips you prefer. Season your salmon and lay it skin side directly onto the wood chips. Plop the whole works on the bb, when done you can lift the salmon off beautifully and leave the skin on the wood chips.

I have the recipe written out somewhere, I'll look for it tomorrow. It's wonderful.

Just looked it up and that sounds really good. A couple days doesn't bother me at all. Would you share your recipe?

This is what I used last time I made gravad laks:

~ 1/2 lb of frozen salmon (2 pieces) but thawed is fine too. You just don't have to wait until it thaws.
~3 Tblsps dill, chopped to ~ 2-3 cm. My dill was actually still frozen.
1/2 Tlbsp brandy*
1 Tblsp salt
1/2 Tblsp sugar

Mix the salt and sugar together.
Rub it on all the non skin parts of the salmon
Sprinkle the brandy on the the salmon
Put one piece of salmon into a deep dish or other porcelain or Pyrex or similar container. Put it skin side down, if there is skin on your salmon.
Sprinkle the dill over the salmon on the plate.
Put the other piece of salmon on top, skin side up, if there is skin.
Cover with plastic wrap
Put a weight on top of the fish.
Put it in the fridge.
Turn the fish over every 12 hours or so and baste with the brine.
Repeat for 3-4 days. Could be as short as two days without skin.
Wipe / brush all the salt, sugar, and dill off the salmon and discard. Pat the salmon dry.
Using a very sharp knife, slice the salmon from the flesh side, at an angle so you get large, thin slices. You don't want to cut through the skin. You should be try to leave the skin nearly clean on the inside. I'm not very good at getting large slices yet. Discard the skin. I don't think it would be good for fish stock after soaking in that brine.

I have had to leave it go an extra day or two when I didn't have time to deal with it. I did flip it over every 12 hours. One time I forgot it and it went 24 hours between turns, once. That wasn't a problem either.

The exact amount of the salt sugar combo isn't important. You will wipe it off when it's done. You want enough to have a layer everywhere, but it doesn't need to be thick. The exact amount of brandy isn't important, you just want it moist, not swimming in liquid when you first put it in the fridge. It will make a brine as the salt and sugar draw some liquid out of the salmon. I have read that people who don't want to use alcohol with this use lemon juice, but less than the amount of booze that would be used. I haven't tried that.

*akvavit is more traditional, vodka would work too

I can see I'm going to have to get more salmon.

Thank you both, these look great.

No cooked salmon here either, cured is the way to go.

I assume it still has the skin? Make a tray of foil, punch holes in it, put a layer of which ever wood chips you prefer. Season your salmon and lay it skin side directly onto the wood chips. Plop the whole works on the bb, when done you can lift the salmon off beautifully and leave the skin on the wood chips.

I have the recipe written out somewhere, I'll look for it tomorrow. It's wonderful.

+1. This is great.

Ever since i saw this method on Cooks Country I have not cooked it any other way.
i do a small modification by starting the foil with the chips on the grill before i add the salmon. I put the salmon on top when I see wisps of smoke.
I also dry brine the salmon for about an hour with Paul Prudhomme's Salmon seasoning and a teaspooon of brown sugar. Smoke roast till 130-135 internal.

Last edited:
Speaking of raw Salmon

IMG_1188.jpg

Shoyu Salmon Poke

lomi salmon 1.jpg

Lomi Lomi Salmon

:yum:

It´s been a while since I´ve made this recipe, but it´s a cured fresh salmon (like gravadlax) with a twist.
Take the piece of salmon and rub it with:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sea salt
1/2 cup tequila
1/2 cup dill
4 tbsps cracked black pepper
2 tbsps crushed coriander seeds
Wrap the salmon in plastic wrap, with all the goodies inside, and leave in the fridge.
Every 12 hours, take it out, massage it again with the marinade and put it back.
I normally do this for 72 hours.
Slice and enjoy.

Kgirl, how would you compare the texture and flavour of poke salmon with cold smoked or gravad salmon?

Wow taxy, I had to really think about that.
I'd say that the taste & texture are so different.
Salmon Poke is a simply dressed salad if you will, in soy sauce and some aromatics. Super easy.

I've made my own cold smoked salmon, which DH loved... hmmm ... I haven't made that in a while, actually any of these for that matter.

Here's the recipe for the Salmon Poke

I'm thinking that Tamari could be used rather than Soy Sauce, I think.

So, the poke salmon pretty much has no change it texture or flavour. There are complimentary flavours added on.

Thanks for the link to your recipe. I can't find the Noh Brand Poke Mix at Amazon.ca. I did find it on Amazon.com. Wow, that's expensive! I think I'll give poke a try at a resto, one that comes with good recommendations.

So, the poke salmon pretty much has no change it texture or flavour. There are complimentary flavours added on.

Thanks for the link to your recipe. I can't find the Noh Brand Poke Mix at Amazon.ca. I did find it on Amazon.com. Wow, that's expensive! I think I'll give poke a try at a resto, one that comes with good recommendations.

I hadn't look at that Poke mix online in a while... I just pulled it up on the .com, a three pack for $14.50USD isn't bad, that's a little less than $5 per and I can make one pack go many 3-4 rounds, you don't need much. How much was it for a Canadian customer?
And as a side note, Poke doesn't have to always have the seaweed in it and any sort of sea salt would do fine... try a small batch at home and see what you think. I serve it over a bowl of hot steamed rice, and in addition, in Hawaii I'm seeing more and more Brown Rice being used, so there you go.

There are just a few ingredients in the poke mix. If you have access to nori (Japanese seaweed), I imagine it's pretty easy to find a recipe for the proportion of ingredients to use. Or just add to your taste each time you use it.
noh_hawaiian_poke_mix_0.4oz_2_back_800x.jpg

I hadn't look at that Poke mix online in a while... I just pulled it up on the .com, a three pack for $14.50USD isn't bad, that's a little less than $5 per and I can make one pack go many 3-4 rounds, you don't need much. How much was it for a Canadian customer?
It isn't a matter of how much it is - but where it is! LOL not on Amazon.ca at any rate.

taxy, maybe try the Asian market near there?

If I come across and it isn't too expensive, I will pick some up and give it a go. I'm only mildly curious about it.

Back
Top Bottom