What's Your Favorite Fresh Salmon Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*face-palm* Poke. Of course. Mahalo, KG.

DCS: The scallop recipe sounds good, unfortunately I'm horribly allergic to the little buggers. All other shellfish? No problem.

'puree' some raw shrimp, add egg binder, form into rounds . . .
instant pseudo scallop.

have you encountered chervil? it's an old time (flake) herb that does salmon especially well. fresh never frozen salmon filet - patted dry, squirt of lemon juice, salted wait, wait olive oil coating, into veddy hot pan is a treat to enjoy for it's own flavor - I dislike "over seasoning" - salmon stands on its own.

but any (pre-done) compote of mushroom /onion /leeks /scallions/ green-yellow-red (bell) pepper /tomato /capers /celery . . . makes for a splendid 'topping.'

pan sear to loosen the skin, top with compote and finish in the oven.

*face-palm* Poke. Of course. Mahalo, KG.

DCS: The scallop recipe sounds good, unfortunately I'm horribly allergic to the little buggers. All other shellfish? No problem.

You can get all of the great "from Hawaii" products that I can't get anymore.
Yeah, I can order dry goods online, but I soooooooooooo want some Kamaboko (steamed Fish Cake) but the cost for shipping it more than the product :mad: but I'll keep looking. I saw this place in Vegas, Leilani's Attic, has a special going on right now, free shipping on select items, but they don't offer it.

So, the poke salmon pretty much has no change it texture or flavour. There are complimentary flavours added on.

Thanks for the link to your recipe. I can't find the Noh Brand Poke Mix at Amazon.ca. I did find it on Amazon.com. Wow, that's expensive! I think I'll give poke a try at a resto, one that comes with good recommendations.
When I make poke, I use ingredients that are easier to get here -- furitake for a bit of seasoning, and the veg from seaweed salad that I can get at Costco here in BC. You can probably find those ingredients in Quebec, too? I love seaweed salad, and use the furitake on rice, veg, fish, lots of things. Worth a try.

The best salmon we ever had was at a restaurant in Seattle-- King Salmon fillet (its a white fish after cooking, not pink or red) cooked over a blazing Alder wood fire. Where do you get Alder wood? Its widely used in kitchen cabinets and wood trim. We get free buckets of it in the scrap pile at local cabinet makers.
BTW: Imparting a different flavor than other woods used for smoking, we use it f or everything on the grill.

King Salmon is called Chinook here in BC. It's the largest salmon and yes, not highly coloured. There are 5 salmon species here, and I love them all.

Sockeye is currently in season here, they're selling whole sockeye off the boat down the street from me.

Grilling on a cedar plank is a very popular way to cook salmon here, both whole and filets. So. easy, and so much flavour. A little s&p, a squirt of lemon, that's all it needs. Skin side down, you don't have to flip it. Can also cook on a cedar plank in the oven.

But please, do not overcook your salmon. It should be translucent in the centre. If you see the white albumin squeezing out the sides, it's too hot and you're overcooking it.

I don't like to do much to salmon. Lemon, a drizzle with butter, soy, minced ginger/garlic/mirin, maybe glaze with dijon, or a sprinkle of aleppo pepper when serving. In my mind, properly cooked salmon is lovely on its own.

I've grown up eating wild salmon, I love it. My cousins were commercial salmon and halibut fishermen so we always had a lot of fish in the freezer. But please, just don't overcook it.

Here's a tip - if you're trimming/filleting a whole salmon, save the bits to make salmon burgers! and don't discard the cheek & belly meat, the best part!

I think Sockeye might be my favorite cold smoked salmon.

Even better than cold smoked Atlantic salmon? I'm asking because, I had some Pacific cold smoked salmon once that didn't have much flavour. I didn't notice which species of salmon it was and I have been wary of Pacific salmon ever since.

But please, do not overcook your salmon. It should be translucent in the centre. If you see the white albumin squeezing out the sides, it's too hot and you're overcooking it.

Here's a tip - if you're trimming/filleting a whole salmon, save the bits to make salmon burgers! and don't discard the cheek & belly meat, the best part!

Once, at a BBQ, had skewers of salmon cubes. Everything was absolutely delish until I hit the centre of the cubes which were what you (summer) would call perfect.
I gagged them down but had a hard time keeping them there. LOL, my son saw my discomfort and had a hard time not breaking into a belly laugh.

Don't get me wrong, I love salmon and I don't want it dried and tough, but I do want it cooked thru! I also love smoked salmon but it must be sliced super razor thin or else the gag reflex comes into play.
:rolleyes: Have no idea why...

Again - fresh salmon to make burgers absolutely ROCKS! but it had better be cooked all the way thru! :LOL:

Growing up in landlocked Ontario - anything salmon was usually from a can. I liked tuna salad, but not salmon... (both being from cans... go figure) (and this from an offspring of a Maritimer)

nor will I eat the recently popular tuna steaks. I once told a friend and afficionado of tuna steaks, "If you invite me for supper with tuna, it had better come out of a can!"

oh yeah, almost forgot..

I have about 11 recipes for salmon that are my favourites, including just a simple poached and pan fried.

and then another 12 or 14? recipes not even tried but in my binder... I actually threw out about 4 recipes while going thru them today, as ones I had lost interest in and I knew I would never get to.

Even better than cold smoked Atlantic salmon? I'm asking because, I had some Pacific cold smoked salmon once that didn't have much flavour. I didn't notice which species of salmon it was and I have been wary of Pacific salmon ever since.
Wild Pacific salmon is very different from Atlantic salmon, which is farmed. I believe the wild Atlantic fishery in the US and Canada is still closed to commercial fishery, and the Atlantic salmon you see in the stores is cultured and raised within cages of some kind.

Wild salmon's texture is firmer, leaner and has a stronger flavour. I've had Atlantic salmon at restaurants, and find it bland and quite mushy. It's also thicker, I guess because the fish don't exercise and are fed. I'm sure there are very good Atlantic salmon out there, but it's not typically found around here, and it's a different species than Pacific salmon.

It makes sense, really, that Pacific salmon is firmer, more muscular and more flavourful than farmed Atlantic salmon.

Wild Pacific salmon is very different from Atlantic salmon, which is farmed. I believe the wild Atlantic fishery in the US and Canada is still closed to commercial fishery, and the Atlantic salmon you see in the stores is cultured and raised within cages of some kind.

Wild salmon's texture is firmer, leaner and has a stronger flavour. I've had Atlantic salmon at restaurants, and find it bland and quite mushy. It's also thicker, I guess because the fish don't exercise and are fed. I'm sure there are very good Atlantic salmon out there, but it's not typically found around here, and it's a different species than Pacific salmon.

It makes sense, really, that Pacific salmon is firmer, more muscular and more flavourful than farmed Atlantic salmon.

But, my issue with the smoked Pacific salmon that I had was that it was bland. It had almost no flavour. Maybe it was farmed. I don't know. But, I do now have a source for wild, sustainably caught salmon from British Columbia. I'm just afraid to try it until I know which species are flavourful and which are blander / milder.

Once, at a BBQ, had skewers of salmon cubes. Everything was absolutely delish until I hit the centre of the cubes which were what you (summer) would call perfect.
I gagged them down but had a hard time keeping them there. LOL, my son saw my discomfort and had a hard time not breaking into a belly laugh. ...
I guess you're not a sushi fan! or poke, for that matter., I'm like that with eggs, a runny yoke makes me want to gag.

The restaurants around here ask if you want your salmon cooked rare, medium, or well-done. I haven't noticed that in other parts of the country.

Even better.

Not kicking Atlantic salmon off my... bagel... mind you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom