What's your favorite Gnocchi sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I have never fixed gnocchi before, so when I was looking up recipes I realized how many sauces there are for it. I found a tomato panchetta sauce that looked good.

What is your favorite gnocchi sauce :?:

This sugo Genovese is good with potato gnochi or semolina gnochi, and can be used
over a risotto bianco.

1/4 pound of minced veal

I carrot

1 onion

celery

1 tablespoon of soaked dried porcini

2 or 3 tomatoes (fresh or tinned)

1 small glass of marsala

cup of stock

cut the vegetables up fine (mirepoix) and fry the veal brown in some butter, then add
the vegetables and brown, a little flour- then add the tomatoes and break up and the
mushrooms.

Add the stock and the wine. Use the mushroom soaking liquid to stop it from drying
out.

Simmer for at least 30 mins.

from Elizabeth David

A simpler sauce:

Some sweet piseli (if frozen, cook seperately with a good pinch of sugar), some sliced
musroom sautued in butter-add the piselli and some sliced proscuito, and a little
cream. Garlic could be added if you like.

All of these sauces sound wonderful. Darkstreams sauce is one I'd like to try. I would suggest straining the mushroom liquid before adding it to the sauce.

:P

Is abjcooking’s reference to cheese or potato gnocchi? As a stand-alone dish, I would serve the former as gnocchi malloreddus (with an herbed tomato sauce); the latter, gnocchi di patate, with a ground beef or veal sauce. But either type of gnocchi would be delectable when served simply drizzled with e.v. olive oil and grated pecorino or Parmesan Reggiano plus some basil sprigs.

Incidentally, I have prepared a hybrid dish known as gnochetti alla Piemontese – baked potato dumplings prepared with the exquisite flavour of Fontina cheese. Also, another classic & very addictive Roman version called gnocchi alla Romana, in which cooked semolina is enriched with butter, cheese, and eggs, cut into diamonds or rounds, baked briefly in a hot oven, then sprinkled with Parmesan and browned under the broiler. Ideally enhanced by a good Chianti!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom