What's Your Favorite Mother Sauce, Besides Bechamel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a slurry when I've decided at the nth hour to make a gravy. Roux is made when I have the time and forethought.

I do want to make a Sauce Raifort - bechamel simmered with white wine, freshly grated horseradish, heavy cream and cayenne - for a steak sauce. I just bought the fresh horseradish last week; I'll try to make it Tuesday.

I finally made the Sauce Raifort last night and served it with seared beef tenderloin, twice-baked potatoes and steamed green beans. Next time, I will use more horseradish.

Attachments

• steak-with-sauce-Raifort.jpg
    steak-with-sauce-Raifort.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 251
  • 0208131843.jpg
    0208131843.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 205
When I make roux, I usually make a big batch. So I almost always have some in the fridge. One of these days I will try using a slurry.

I find making and using a slurry the easiest. I get no lumps if I pour it in slowly while continously stirring. It's not the best for all things the more I think about it.

PS. TaxL, Thanks for letting me borrow the Julia Child video you were so kind enough to search out. It's useful. She used a "new" patented non-stick pan at one point in the show. heheh. My-my, she used alot of pots. It took me years to learn some of the basic techniques she did, like make sure the meat and veggies are dry before sauteeing so they brown not steam. She is Still refreshing to watch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom