What's Your Favorite Nostalgic Recipe/Foods You Grew Up With

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi middie!

I poked around & found a recipe, I'm hoping might be close to the one your grandmother made. While I haven't tried it yet, it sure sounds tasty. See what you think.

Apple Pie a la Zing
4 cups pared, sliced apples
2 cups Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cups chopped walnuts, optional
Pastry for a 9" two crust pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine all ingredients, except pastry, in a medium mixing bowl; mix well. Pour into a pastry-lined pie plate. Cover with top crust. Seal edges and cut several slits in top crust. Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cover edges with foil if they begin to brown too quickly

Hi,

I have two: hamburg gravy and my mother's chicken fricasee. She didn't really enjoy cooking but did a good job on these two dishes,as I remember them

Mish.....

My mother grew up eating cream cheese on date nut bread! She grew up in Queens. For a while, Pepperidge Farm made date nut bread so we used to eat it at home. Boy that sounds good right now.

It's funny b/c it's nothing gourmet, but I used to love eating Cream of Rice cereal. To me, that's the epitome of comfort food. I also loved Fishamajig sandwiches from Friendly's.

Oh yeah......can't forget the phase I went through when I was five when all I wanted for lunch was ketchup and mustard sandwiches. no meat, no cheese......just the condiments.

Black and white cookies were big too! I recently found a recipe online for black and whites. Tastes just like from the bakery. I'd be happy to share it if anyone is interested.

My grandmother was a great cook........when I'm in NY in Nov, I'm gonna go through her recipe box that my dad has. She had a great recipe for rugalech. Once I get it, I'd be happy to share.

LOL. I was a silly kid. Speaking of silly kids........time to wake up my son from his nap.......if he sleeps much later (it's 4:45pm here), he won't go to sleep tonight!

choclatechef said:
My favorite is chitterlings! Does anybody want me to post the recipe?
Actually, I would love a recipe, not that I could find them in Upstate NY!
I've been waxing nostalgic about Southern food ever since my son was born. I've learned to make killer fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, collard greens, and biscuits and gravey. I have yet to master fried cornbread or good hush puppies. I'm not real good at those long cooked green beans either. Do you have any suggestions?

Uh oh. I should warn you that soul food is different from southern cooking. Be prepared for more spiciness/seasonings, more varieties of foods, and also different preparations.

If you like southern cooking rather than soul food, Paula Deen has a southern cooking site.

choclatechef said:
Check out www.chitterlings.com. It is a good soul food site! They have recipes for not only chitterlings, but everything else!

:LOL:
Thanks for the tip! This is the site I got my collard green and fried chix recipe from! It really is soul food I am identifying with.

I guess I just need to practice,practice, practice.

p.s. Have you seen the movie "Soul Food"?

Yes, I have seen the movie Soul Food.

I don't know how to teach someone to cook it without being in the kitchen with them as I was taught. There is a lot that I would forget to say, because I would be making assumptions that the cook I was teaching knew this or that was supposed to look/taste/smell a certain way, and that may not be true. That is what is so hard about learning another cuisine like soul food. There is so much that is "given" that may not be a "given" to another culture.

But hang in there, and keep trying.

Here is a recipe for chitterlings and hog maws I got off the site. My mother's recipe is on my little ancient laptop.

Mom would put a potato in to cook with the chitterlings to help "cut the smell". I don't think it made much difference! :LOL:

CHITTERLINGS AND HOG MAWS

2 POUNDS HOG MAWS (PIG STOMACH)
2 POUNDS CHITTERLINGS (PIG INTESTINES)
3 QUARTS WATER
1 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 TEASPOON RED PEPPER (FLAKES)
1 MEDIUM PEELED ONION (WHITE OR YELLOW)

THE HOG MAWS ARE THE THICKEST AND WILL THEREFORE TAKE THE LONGEST TO COOK. RINSE THEM THOROUGHLY AS YOU TRIM OFF THE EXCESS FAT. PUT THEM IN A 6 QUART POT ALONG WITH YOUR 3 QUARTS WATER, ONION, PEPPER, AND SALT. BRING THEM TO A BOIL, THEN REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM AND COOK FOR 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES.
WHILE MAWS ARE COOKING, RINSE CHITTERLINGS THOROUGHLY AND TRIM THE EXTRA FAT OFF THEM. LIKE MOST ORGAN MEATS, THEY HAVE A LOT OF FAT. ADD CHITTERLINGS TO POT AFTER MAWS HAVE COOKED FOR 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES. COOK ANOTHER 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL TENDER. ADD A LITTLE EXTRA WATER IF NECESSARY.
SLICE THE CHITTERLINGS INTO PIECES AS ABOVE, BUT THEM PUT THEM BACK IN THE POT WITH THE STOCK. YOU CAN GET RID OF THE ONION. COVER THE POT AND SIMMER THE CUT UP MIXTURE FOR ANOTHER 50 MINUTES.
IF YOU DON'T LIKE ONION OR DON'T HAVE ONION, YOU CAN ADD FOUR OR FIVE BAY LEAVES TO THE MIXTURE INSTEAD.. AGAIN, YOU THROW THE BAY LEAVES AWAY BEFORE COOKING DOWN THE CHITTERLINGS.
BY NOW THE HOG MAWS AND CHITTERLINGS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY DONE AND ALMOST FALLING APART. YOU CAN SERVE THEM WITH YOUR FAVORITE SIDE DISHES SUCH AS GREENS, MACCARONI AND CHEESE, OR RICE. I ACTUALLY PREFER TO EAT THEM BY THEMSELVES, WITH SEVERAL SPLASHES OF HOT SAUCE. HOWEVER, THEY ARE FATTENING AND IT'S TOUGH NOT TO EAT TOO MUCH. SO YOU PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE A SIDE DISH.
STORE THE LEFTOVERS IN THE REFRIGERATOR. LIKE SO MANY OTHER GREAT SOUL FOOD DISHES, CHITLINS TASTE EVEN BETTER AFTER THE FLAVOR HAS SOAKED IN FOR A FEW HOURS. THE LEFTOVERS WON'T LAST LONG.

Back
Top Bottom