Whats your menu for Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks ish, i just searched and found out it's aka the oyster plant, because it has a slight delicate taste of oysters, or as you've said, the sea.

buckytom said:
psst, ic, that's amuse bouche, spelled with an "h".

are you going to serve them on little spoons, as i understand is the custom, so it is a single bite of amusement?

your menu looks fantastic. i wish i was there. you really are an iron chef!

oh, btw, what is salsify?

Yeah I saw that...but this was only what I had on my notes so it's not the one being printed (I hope). The won ton is going to be deep fried with an indentation in it, so it resembles a "bowl" sorta. Then it will fit in a Chinese soup spoon which will be the base. The description ended up calling it a "tuile", which is like a thin and crispy medium used to serve food on or in. Can be made out of parmesan, cookie, or whatever.

Salsify is often called Oyster root, because the taste resembles that of oysters. It's long and skinny, and you can treat it as you would a parsnip or potato, although it's not as starchy as a potato.

Corazon
I always have currants in my freezer from the autum pickings - red, white and black currants. They come in extra handy for sauces, flavourings etc.

When I make redcurrant sauce (rather than just buy it in ready-made jars from the supermarket)

I tbsp balsamic vinegar
Scant full glass of full bodied red wine
1 oz butter
3/4 oz redcurrants

Deglaze the roasting pan (duck, goose et al) with balsamic vinegar and red wine. Add the butter and redcurrants and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes.

thanks ic, man, i keep reading your menu to try to wrap my mind around some of your dishes. they are awesome, and i am convinced that i will have to track you down one day to dine in your place. i would happily pay a buck 10 for what you're offering.
i really miss my old days of restaurant hopping. :neutral:

great idea of using a chinese soup spoon, btw.

how many wine pairings will there be? one for each course?

buckytom said:
thanks ic, man, i keep reading your menu to try to wrap my mind around some of your dishes. they are awesome, and i am convinced that i will have to track you down one day to dine in your place. i would happily pay a buck 10 for what you're offering.
i really miss my old days of restaurant hopping. :neutral:

great idea of using a chinese soup spoon, btw.

how many wine pairings will there be? one for each course?

No, it comes with four glasses of wine. We've found that by giving one glass per course, we get a lot more that is thrown away, even though the pours are less than a normal glass (4 oz instead of 6 oz)

I'm so excited! My daughter and her husband are coming for Christmas! Christmas Eve we're having pork enchiladas, tacos, tamales, chips/salsa. Christmas Day we're having prime rib. We haven't settled on all the side dishes yet.

Due to my healthy living regime, Col (the dh) has decided that we are going to a restaurant for Christmas day, so I can have a one day blow out, and not nibble on food preparations and leftovers for weeks. Does this man know me well or what?????

Christmas Eve (today) we are having Portuguese Bacalau. Very yummy!!
Tomorrow I am making Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding....

Guess I will be living at the gym in the new year.

I'm making glazed ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, and green bean casserole.
the bf's mom is bringing over turkey, stuffing, and cranberry relish for those who don't like ham.
dessert we have a choice of 3 pies... apple, cherry, or sweet potato.

Back
Top Bottom