What's your pleasure? 6/18/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I'll be breaking in the new weber with Cuban style pork ribs. Assorted sweet peppers and Spanish style rice to go with.

Craig

Cuban Style refers to the marinade/rub paste. I juiced enough Seville oranges to yield about 3 cups of juice. I made a paste of 10 -15 good size garlic cloves, salt and cumin. Trimmed a slab of spare ribs to get a St. Louis cut and removed membrane. The trimmings will be used for green chili stew. Used a hand held, fixed blade mandolin to thinly slice 1/2 of a large Vidallia onion. Rubbed some of the paste on the under side of the slab, sprinkled some adobo, cumin and onions on then folded the slab in half with the rub , onion and spice in the center. Placed the folded slab in a 2 gallon plastic bag, rubbed paste on one side, spread onions on and seasoned with adobo and cumin. Flipped the bag and repeated on other side. The slab was nicely snug and settled length-wise in the bottom of the bag. Then the juice is poured over and around the ribs, the air is squeezed out and the bag is sealed. Marinate in the fridge for 6-8 hours, turning over each hour. Remove from marinade (reserving marinade) pat dry and let come to room temp. Set grill up for indirect grilling with drip pan. Cook indirectly until done. The reserved marinade is brought to a boil in a sauce pan, then reduced to a simmer until thickened like a syrup. Use as a glaze during the last hour of cooking. These ribs are not smoked.

The rub and marinade are the same as I use for Cuban pork roast. Call this an experiment. New grill, new rib recipe.;)

Craig

Last edited:
I think I am the only person in America that is cooking inside tonight!

Well your eyes have a mist from the smoke of a distant fire
Sanford-Townsend Band

Salad
Eggplant parmesan

I made a chunky chicken salad with honey, Dijon and mayo for the dressing and then mixed in dried apricots, celery and almonds. That's dinner, over lettuce cups.

I think I am the only person in America that is cooking inside tonight!

Well your eyes have a mist from the smoke of a distant fire
Sanford-Townsend Band

Salad
Eggplant parmesan

Nope...you're not the only one! I'm cooking inside too. I've got a chuck roast in the pressure cooker and some potatoes boiling on the stove for mashed potatoes. We'll be having gravy and steamed peas to go along with it.

I'm thinking chicken and shrimp chimichitos. I just need to get to the store for some cilantro. I better double check if I need more 10" tortillas, too.

Cuban Style refers to the marinade/rub paste. I juiced enough Seville oranges to yield about 3 cups of juice. I made a paste of 10 -15 good size garlic cloves, salt and cumin. Trimmed a slab of spare ribs to get a St. Louis cut and removed membrane. The trimmings will be used for green chili stew. Used a hand held, fixed blade mandolin to thinly slice 1/2 of a large Vidallia onion. Rubbed some of the paste on the under side of the slab, sprinkled some adobo, cumin and onions on then folded the slab in half with the rub , onion and spice in the center. Placed the folded slab in a 2 gallon plastic bag, rubbed paste on one side, spread onions on and seasoned with adobo and cumin. Flipped the bag and repeated on other side. The slab was nicely snug and settled length-wise in the bottom of the bag. Then the juice is poured over and around the ribs, the air is squeezed out and the bag is sealed. Marinate in the fridge for 6-8 hours, turning over each hour. Remove from marinade (reserving marinade) pat dry and let come to room temp. Set grill up for indirect grilling with drip pan. Cook indirectly until done. The reserved marinade is brought to a boil in a sauce pan, then reduced to a simmer until thickened like a syrup. Use as a glaze during the last hour of cooking. These ribs are not smoked.

The rub and marinade are the same as I use for Cuban pork roast. Call this an experiment. New grill, new rib recipe.;)

Craig

Thanks, Craig. Sounds good. I make a Cuban pork roast too but never thought to use the marinade for ribs.

I made potatoes au gratin with onions, broccoli, grated ham and cheddar cheese. Yummy!

I also have a pot of flavored potato water, salted with beef bullion, and a tbsp. of dried thyme to freeze or use.

Pasta here. I had a lot of spaghetti left over from earlier this week. I added more sauce to the noodles then layered it with my usual lasagna cheese layer in the middle and topped with more mozzarella. Have it baking now. Will serve with salads and garlic bread. This is an experimental recipe but I really don't expect it to bomb since it incorporates my usual stuff just in different applications.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom