What's your weather like right now? 2023 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Air quality was so bad today that we were in a "code red" - not as bad as some nearby areas in code purple. I did almost nothing out there today, as the air was burning my eyes, and we are told to breathe this as little as possible. I still went out briefly, to water those few things I don't have on drip irrigation, and to harvest some garlic chives, and the snow and sugar snap peas. The sun was almost invisible through the smoke - it looks overcast, but supposedly there are no clouds, just smoke.
Sun barely visible through the smoke, 6-7, 6:11 pm by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I hope nobody was hit bad by that storm that started way down south, and is now coming into my area.

That brief TS that came through, around 11 am, had no hail, and not very windy, and only .02", but farther west of here it was much worse, with 1" hail, and tornado warnings in some areas earlier, moving north and east, and I'm not in the track. However, I'm supposed to get more, eventually, and much windier, with this county in a tornado watch. The radar does look like more is coming, not fizzling out, like the first one. And the temp dropped about 5° since I looked a little bit ago, to 67° now.

Update: I just heard a couple cracks of thunder that sounded like they were right up the street. And I knew it - the kind of thing you hear an siren for a couple minutes tater. And that second one sounds like a fire truck siren. :(

It went through fast; still raining hard, but the thunder is farther away, and it is getting light again. I got .75" in just over 10 minutes, and it's over an inch now, in under 30 min. My second heaviest rain for the year, so far.

Actually, I only got 1.12", over 45 minutes - my second highest rainfall of the season (first was 1.45", which also isn't that much, compared to other times. I was lucky, though, as I saw on the news two confirmed tornadoes were in the area, though they didn't really damage any property, whereas the lightning and straight line winds did a lot more damage. I let all the plants dry out, and went out about 4:30, and started working on things. The ground was not muddy anywhere - it all soaked into the dry ground quickly.

It has been a beautiful, sunny week...so, time to cool things off:

Screenshot 2023-06-18 073146.jpg

We have overcast skies, mostly. The sun peeks through occasionally, but the one thing we can count on is heat. We are under a heat advisory, when the temperature and the humidity add up to triple digits. We got everything outside done before 11 a.m., and plan to stay inside with the cat until sundown.

Yesterday only got to 80°, but the humidity was low, and it was very windy. Got down to 61° overnight, so I got the house down to 66°, then closed it up - same thing I've been doing, and avoiding that AC coming on! Getting to 84° today, and warmer the next few days, but I've been lucky to only get to 90+ twice this year! I won't complain! I remember last June was a record year for 90 degree days in this area - it already felt like July.

We got lucky and the mild drought where we are gave us enough rain last week or so. But, not as much to the south or north of us. We had hoped the north would get some good rain to help fight those fires. We have the smoky air from that, but the air isn't terrible.

Kathleen, I hope you get a good quantity of rain soon.

@Kathleen You're even lower on your rainfall that we are, in this area! I just heard that we are still more than 5" short of the average, for this time of year, even with the last storm. It seems that wherever you are, it's either way too little, or way too much!

Our best hope for rain is Thursday. On other days, they have a small percentage for rain, but nothing definite. In the meantime, I am watering every other day in hopes of plants pulling through. :)

It is going to be about 12° below average here today (72°, then 70° tomorrow!), and rainy. Unfortunately, the rain came early, before I could harvest and clean the rest of my garlic. Fortunately, those two varieties can grow a couple more weeks, but it's still going to be wet, as we have most of the ten day forecast with rain - first time I've seen that this year! Maybe it will put a dent in that rainfall deficit we have.

Marlingardener, I used to freeze water bottles to put in their coops at night to chill the air a tiny weeny bit. During the day they fled to the trees.

It's 61° out there now...the first day of summer!! Normally I like cooler weather, but this is crazy. And now they are forecasting 67° for a high tomorrow. I will say it finally started raining a little harder the last couple of hours, so it's up to .12", after .04" over 6 hours.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all of you in that terrible heat down south. Stay safe!

First full day of summer, and a high of 68°! Crazy weather. Supposed to get hotter and more humid the rest of the week, and "possible" rain every day.

Back
Top Bottom