When do you know that you're a good cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
How do you know when you’re a decent or good cook? Sure, there are the accolades from those that eat your food, and the admiration you get from guests, but we all know, that the worst critic is yourself. I always see the bad before I see the good.

When I was young and growing up, I ate fast food a lot and TV dinners. I STILL eat fast food and TV dinners on occasion when in a hurry. But, as I was learning to cook, I decided that I wasn’t very good until I could cook everything that I bought in TV dinners or fast food spots or dinners without a recipe.

Also, added to that was the challenge of having the ability to take any given written recipe and prepare it (at 18 years of age, the first “big” recipe I cooked was Coq au Vin…although I had to get a friend to buy the wine/burgundy and come to my apartment for dinner!). I finally worked my way up, and am now challenged by the 5 star restaurants. Man, the stuff they cook and the ingredients they get to use. And the improvisation they have on Iron Chef. Wow.

I may never get there….but it sure is fun trying!

Heck, not long ago we did a dinner party for some friends and it was “suthern food” and lots of gabbing. We had roast & gravy, mashed potatoes, carrot slices in butter, ginger and white wine, fresh green beans, and corn bread with garlic and herbed butter. Easy enough…..but I used Katie’s roast recipe that I learned here on DC, and wow, all they could do was talk about the roast and ask for seconds (and the recipe!). That roast really is “all that”.

So, when and how did you finally decide you were decent at cooking….maybe not 5 star, but good enough to wow your guests (and that really only takes one “signature” dish and meal to do so!)? And let’s not be over-inflated, I’ve got a LOT to learn, and I’m sure most agree that we will never learn it all…but the question is, when did you feel “confident” that you could serve others without buying from a deli? When do you feel proud of yourself (even if you are standing on the shoulders of giants)? How do you challenge yourself?

I think the first hint I had was when I made chop suey and I realized it was as good as my mom's. I was so excited that I think I even jumped up and down! Another thing that lets me know is when I bring something to a church supper and I hear people complimenting what I brought and going back for more (when they don't have a clue who made it). But my main gauge is how close my cooking comes to my mom's. :cool:

:)Barbara

How do you know when you’re a decent or good cook? Sure, there are the accolades from those that eat your food, and the admiration you get from guests, but we all know, that the worst critic is yourself. I always see the bad before I see the good.

My hint is when DH affectionately calls a new dish junk - as in, "That was some seriously good junk." It means I should add it to my repertoire. Also, he secretly says my lasagna is better than his mom's ;)

And when I take a dish to a neighborhood pot luck and it gets lots of compliments, I take that as a good sign, too :)

I know my cooking improved immensely when I took a class on cooking with fresh herbs and I discovered the difference between using fresh and dried herbs (for the most part - there are a few dried herbs I like to use).

As with all things, I think a lot of it is experience, and judging people's reactions.

If you attend church dinners, pot-luck's, etc., on a frequent basis, and people always compliment your food and/or ask for the recipe, then in my eyes, yes, you are a good cook.

Since I work in the industry, I have to go by a few different guidelines, i.e., did the customers actually order, eat, and enjoy the specials I created? Are they happy with their meals?

Another trick that I use is to have a few other cooks try the food I'm making. Many of these cooks have more experience than I do, and some of them can cook circles around me. If THEY like it, I know it's good.

For instance, last week, we ran Cajun BBQ'ed Shrimp with Dirty Rice as one of our two specials. Friday night, we sold AT LEAST 14 orders of the stuff, out of 40 or so people that came in. Not only that, but my Sous Chef, and a couple other cooks, could NOT stay out of the Dirty Rice I made.

Does anyone have (or had) specific goals or landmarks? When I was learning to smoke (use a smoker for BBQ), I started small and worked my way up. The ultimate goal was to do a brisket which is one of the hardest meats to smoke correctly. I finally did it. It turned out great, and I considered it a nice accomplishment.

Does anyone have (or had) specific goals or landmarks?

Rotisserie Pig and a Brisket.
When can I be a self proclaimed Pit Master?:chef:

Good cooks can make something out of nothing, know proper tecniques and wind up with clean plates after a meal.

Growing up I didn't have any family members that I could have used as examples of good cooks. My birth mother was an average cook and my maternal grandmother was mediocre at best, so I was on my own when it came to cooking. Fortunately, we did eat out enough that I learned what really good food could be.

I began cooking for my family when I was about 8- or 10-years old because I was the oldest and the task fell on my shoulders. I could've hated cooking but, instead, discovered I loved it.

Early in my first marriage, I had a Russian neighbor who was the most incredible cook. She became a dear, dear friend and we shared recipes and techniques. She was almost like a mother to me. Every time I prepare an untried recipe she gave me (she gave me 3-inch stacks regularly), we can always count on it being wonderful. Buck never questions a "Kittie" recipe, just looks forward to it.

Over the years I've become known as a good and skilled cook and often am asked for a recipe or for advice. That humbles me and also tells me I must've learned something along the way.

Even though when we were raising our 5 children it seemed like I was running a mess hall, everyone always cleaned their plates. Leftovers were essentially nonexistent in our house. Thankfully, all the children know their way around a kitchen quite well.

Whenever I bring dishes to potluck events or friend/family gatherings, they are gobbled up and, more often than not, I'm asked for the recipe.

So, I guess this answer is a bit Goodweed-like, but because my family and friends seem to love my cooking, I guess I would have to say their reactions tell me I've become a good cook.

Personally, I believe it's a feeling you get the very first time you step foot in the kitchen to do the cooking.

Either you feel it, or you don't. If you are uncomfortable in there, for whatever reason, you'll never be a good cook. It's more than being able to create sans recipe, which in and of itself is the sign of talent. But, if it's from your heart, and not out of obligation, (and you didn't poison anyone) it's going to be good. It's the spirit of the cook that comes through.

For instance, last week, we ran Cajun BBQ'ed Shrimp with Dirty Rice as one of our two specials. Friday night, we sold AT LEAST 14 orders of the stuff, out of 40 or so people that came in. Not only that, but my Sous Chef, and a couple other cooks, could NOT stay out of the Dirty Rice I made.
and you didn't save me ANY? ;)

I love Dirty Rice! :chef:

How do you know when you’re a decent or good cook?
Truly, Keltin, some people never know. My Aunt loved to cook, but her food was mostly pretty awful. She'd ask if we wanted to take home leftovers, and we had to say yes, but then later we'd throw it away. She thought it was good!

My dad used to say that you could give her and my mom identical bags of groceries and the same recipes, and any resemblance between what the two would get for results would be "purely coincidental!"

Mostly, tho, I think you just "know" when or if you get to the level where you just "know" that what you're turning out is really good. You have to trust your taste buds.

My all-time best compliment was when I heard my Mom telling one of her friends that I was a "much better" cook than she was. My mom BURNED!

Personally, I believe it's a feeling you get the very first time you step foot in the kitchen to do the cooking.

Either you feel it, or you don't. If you are uncomfortable in there, for whatever reason, you'll never be a good cook. It's more than being able to create sans recipe, which in and of itself is the sign of talent. But, if it's from your heart, and not out of obligation, (and you didn't poison anyone) it's going to be good. It's the spirit of the cook that comes through.

Excellent POV and very good point!

My dad used to say that you could give her and my mom identical bags of groceries and the same recipes, and any resemblance between what the two would get for results would be "purely coincidental!"

Odd, but this remark reminded me of a saying my Dad used to say. Not about cooking, but about the destructive and clumsy nature of my younger brother.

My Dad used to say that my brother “could tear up a steel ball”. Now that is determination right there! :LOL:

I had an interest in cooking at an early age but didn't learn to cook until later in life.

Dad was a chef for a company that ran in-plant cafeterias. He kept a 5x7 binder of recipes and would dictate new recipes to me after dinner and I'd type them up on an antique Remington portable typewriter (remember typewriters). That piqued my interest and I used to watch mom in the kitchen from time to time as she prepared dinner.

When I was married, I was not allowed in the kitchen as it was "her" kitchen and I was to stay out.

When I got divorced (in my late-40s), I had my first opportunity to cook on my own. I watched a lot of TV cooking shows, read some cookbooks, got recipes from my sister and the occasional date and ate a lot of bad meals.

A semi-validation came when the guy I shared a house with started suggesting we cook joint meals.

When some dates agreed to go out with me again after I had cooked for them, I figured I was doing OK.

hahahahaha - I have one definition for you - it's when your ex husband's wife calls you up and asks you to give her "cooking lessons/pointers" and you go over to their house and your ex-husband walks in the door and his eyes glaze over and he says "oh crap"......:LOL: :mrgreen:

When I was married, I was not allowed in the kitchen as it was "her" kitchen and I was to stay out.

Wow, that happened to me in my first marriage too. Except I did get to cook some things, but none of her signature dishes (but I wouldn't let her near my grills!). That’s why I never learned to make Lasagna (and still haven’t to this day). She swore she was the queen of Lasagna and Chili, so I never got to make those dishes, and a few others to boot. After we got divorced, the first thing I did was make a big pot of 5 Alarm Chili......still haven't made Lasagna though. I guess I need to do that one day.

And yeah, typewriters! Wow. I used to love my Brother Electric.....wish I still had it. Don’t forget the whiteout!

hahahahaha - I have one definition for you - it's when your ex husband's wife calls you up and asks you to give her "cooking lessons/pointers" and you go over to their house and your ex-husband walks in the door and his eyes glaze over and he says "oh crap"......:LOL: :mrgreen:

:shock:

Holy cow! Did that really happen and did you really do it? That is too funny! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure I will ever be a good cook and honestly, I don't aspire to that. But I am becoming a better cook. I know because my kids ask for seconds more often and leftovers sometimes get eaten now. Son Nick and his SO came through San Antonio last night late on their way home from the coast. I had made breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner much earlier but had saved some chops for them. When I offered to heat them up a plate, they declined instantly, saying they were full from lunch. Hunger finally got the better of them so they accepted a plate. Well, they ended up eating all 4 of the chops I had saved and asked if there were any more! I'm telling you, this never happens to me. I really have been an awful cook (but I did know it - I didn't like to eat my cooking either.) So that's how I know I'm becoming a better cook.
Terry

Hmm, well, I'd say it was when I started to notice that people jump to accept my invitations to come over for dinner, & they always ask me to bring a dish (or TWO!) to potlucks. I've even had my sil ask me to help her plan/prep a dinner that she was hosting, and I always thought she was a pretty good cook herself.

Last edited:
This is a hard question to answer because it's all about perception. One person may be considered a good cook among their own circle, but put them in another group and they turn into total a hack.

That being said, I don't think you can generalize as to who's a good cook or not, because context needs to be considered. It has to be done with a classification involved (like sports). Take high school football. Someone who may be an all-star at the 1A level might be a marginal player on the 3A level and 3rd string player on the 4A or 5A level. Heck, they may not even make the team. Can you still say that they are a good football player? You can in context, but overall that person probably isn't.

This is a hard question to answer because it's all about perception. One person may be considered a good cook among their own circle, but put them in another group and they turn into total a hack.

That being said, I don't think you can generalize as to who's a good cook or not, because context needs to be considered. It has to be done with a classification involved (like sports). Take high school football. Someone who may be an all-star at the 1A level might be a marginal player on the 3A level and 3rd string player on the 4A or 5A level. Heck, they may not even make the team. Can you still say that they are a good football player? You can in context, but overall that person probably isn't.

Very good point, iron chef. I've gotten huge pats on the back from the adults at the dinner table and at the same time big "eeeuuuww!"s from the kids :LOL:. I 've never been good at making "healthy" or "figure friendly" party appetizers, so my very fit friends take one bite of my offerings and make a face, while my plumper friends gobble them down and ask for recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom