When to make apple pie...today or tomorrow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef J

Assistant Cook
I'm making an apple pie for...you guessed it...Thanksgiving dinner. Can I make it today (Wednesday) and let it sit 'til tomorrow? Or will that turn the crust all soggy?

If your vote is that I can make it today, what's the best way to store it until tomorrow? Counter w/Saran? Frig w/foil?????

Thanks!

Well, I am making A LOT of my things today so I can actually see who shows up to eat with us this year - last year I was told there was 20 people - who knew???? LOL

It would depend on what I had going on tomorrow - however, if I was making an apple pie and cooking it today I would cook it, let it cool completely, then put it in my glass-covered cake display. If you don't have a glass covered cake container then I would cover it with foil probably - just make sure it cools completely or your crust will get soggy. People used to put their pies in a pie safe, which was usually ventilated by the design in the tin or even a chicken-type wire door.

Did that help at all?

Thanks KitchenElf.

I don't have a cake display...so foil it will be. Once the pie has completely cooled and I've covered it in foil, do I just leave it out on a counter or do I put it in the fridge?

Thanks!

I would leave it on the counter - unless someone else says otherwise - I usually leave all my pies/cakes out a couple days. Happy Thanksgiving Chef J - good to "see" you again.

The World's Foremost Expert on Apple Pie, aka BW, bakes them the day before, as she will do this afternoon. As a connoisuer (sp?) of that delectable item, I can state with confidence it tastes better, like pumpkin pie, the nesx day.

Another option for counter-top storage is to simply place a large pot over it. That will work as well or better than foil, as foil is a little difficult to seal well.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

(II'll be giving thanks when it's over: I don't care for turkey!) :D

If you paint the interior of your bottom crust with a well-beaten egg, using a pastry brush, before adding the filling, then bake as usual, you will never again have a soggy crust, no matter what. Wish I'd learned this about ninety-seven or so years ago! :idea: And I bet a person could paint the under side of the top crust in the same manner before putting it on the pie and that crust wouldn't get soggy, either . . . 8)

Sometimes I beat a little water in with the egg to make it spread more easily - kinda like thinning paint . . .

Inasmuch as it is now 8 p.m. here in the middle of Nowhere That Thinks It 's THE Where, good luck next year!! Or whenever . . .

If you paint the interior of your bottom crust with a well-beaten egg, using a pastry brush, before adding the filling, then bake as usual, you will never again have a soggy crust, no matter what. Wish I'd learned this about ninety-seven or so years ago! :idea: And I bet a person could paint the under side of the top crust in the same manner before putting it on the pie and that crust wouldn't get soggy, either . . . 8)

Sometimes I beat a little water in with the egg to make it spread more easily - kinda like thinning paint . . .

Inasmuch as it is now 8 p.m. here in the middle of Nowhere That Thinks It 's THE Where, good luck next year!! Or whenever . . .

Back
Top Bottom