when you suddenly realize you're throwing a party...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i realized, after guests begun to arrive, that I am in the midst of having a party. I didn't know that i was having a party tonite, but apparantly i am...
how do YOU cope with this, when people just begin knocking on the door?
i automatically vacuum, spray bath and body works body spray throughout the house in profuse amounts, just so my guests think my home ALWAYS smells of lovely perfume-esque frangrances, then proceed to tidy up, and offer those who are of age some alcohol. under-21-ers get turned away at the door; i don't want- nor do i need- that kind of responsibility on my shoulders. 21-and-over is the rule around here.
i do not feed my guests.
otherwise they won't leave.
how do you deal with unexpected guests showing up in the masses?

oh,well, i guess i'm on my own with this one, lol.
oh, well.
i just gave my last guests a gentle 'good-bye' out the door.
i'm DRUNK... whew!

You seem to have solved your problem now and now you are drunk also. I think it's turning out to be a good day for you! :D

For future reference here is my advice ( you need help for this one ): Get somebody you know and trust to call you with telephone or cell phone. Pick up the phone and in a loud voice so that everybody can hear say something like "OH NO! ... Oh my GOD! Are they ok?" Carry on this kind of thing with moments of silence thrown in as if you were listening. Hang up and tell the guests that a friend has been run over by a car and that they have to go because you must get ready and visit them in hospital. Of course, you can really only use this the one time or they might start to suspect if all your friends and family get run over by cars every time they appear :D

Leaf Storm said:
You seem to have solved your problem now and now you are drunk also. I think it's turning out to be a good day for you! :D

LoL :LOL: She is always up at strange hours. I wasn't here, so I'm sorry I couldn't help you luvs!

That happens at my house at least a couple times per month. I never have to worry about under 21's. I love it when people stop by. I always feed them (I think that's part of the reason everyone lands at my house) I always have a vast array alcoholic beverages and a lot of juice and soda. There's always some kinda food I can throw together. Our house is the 'football' house, so I can expect a houseful every Sunday. Today's fare will be Hector's Exorcism Wings (beyond insanely hot) Hector's Chili, Corn bread, and a selection of chips and veggies and dips. Most of our friends bring alcohol, some call ahead and to let us know they'll bring the wings (we just need to do the sauce)
Oh and today there will be pumpkin bread, because my 6 yr old had to count the seeds in this pumpkin from his school field trip (173 seeds) So I cooked that up and it will be pumpkin bread in about 2 hours!

I've never actually had this problem before, but that would really suck if it did happen! I don't know how to handle it. On one hand, I wouldn't want to be rude but on the other hand...

It happens here with great regularity too. I am also the "football" house. However, you need to respect the no talking rule during plays. NO CHIT CHAT!

I throw a tray of appetizers in the oven, pour drinks, toss a couple bowls of chips out and make sure the kids have some play doh or something to do. Usually my kids will take care of any little ones that arrive.

I think it is the greatest compliment that everyone feels my house is "comfy" enough to do this on the spur of the moment.

Congratulations luvs, you are an acclaimed hostess if this happens to you.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the cleaning...FORGET IT! If you show up unexpectedly, you can just move the pile of laundry I am folding to find your own seat! You obviously know these people well, so forget the clean up!

spryte, LOL, glad to know I am not alone! But really, don't they feel more comfortable knowing you won't freak out if someone knocks something over?

I like it when my guests can find their own glass in the cupboard. They say you should treat company like family and family like company.

Apparently we are having a pre-teen party here of sorts. Daughter is on the phone right now collecting all her chums. They are meeting here before heading out to T&T. I am NOT feeding them, nor am I driving them all home. Thank God tomorrow is a school day.

How many "chums" are we talking? And you should maybe toss some bread or something at them to soak up all that sugar they will be ingesting...don't want to deal with any barf later either.

My kids have a PD day tomorrow, so they will be up nice and late scarfing crap.

good point, Alix. I believe we are having about half a dozen, but then I am always the last to know. Daughter and two of the cohorts have just finished eating tacos, so they're good to go.

They are all changing into their costumes now, apporx 3 hours in advance of actual T&T time. Ah, youth.

LOL! They will be raring to go when they finally get out there. I am just going to give my little monsters something to eat and give them the boot.

Hope y'all have a wonderful time tonight. Nobody eat too much crap...or if you do...make sure you have the Tums handy.

luvs_food that is a dilema. I do not like drop in guests. Either I do not answer the door or if I do I say "this is not a good time I am busy, perhaps next time you should phone first. Forgive me for being short, but I need to get back to what I was doing. I shall call you later when I am free." If they get mad, they created it. I do not drop in on my friends out of respect for them and their privacy, and I fell I should be treated the same.

THE DUCKS SENT THE HUSKIES PACKING 31-6

tweedee said:
norgeskog,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN! I'm with you on that idea all the way.

Thanks tweedee, it does work. I did not get too many stop ins, they usually called. Now I live in a security building and there is a buzzer downstairs that rings the inhouse phone, Sometimes I answer it, sometimes I look out my window to see a recognizable car, but here I have the option of telling them on the phone I am in the tub.

Hubby and I are not quite the party type of people other than maybe on new years eve.

We do enjoy going out on the town now and then and having a few drinks but we do all of our socializing in places like bars and grills and that way our home isn't in anyway invaded by unwanted or uninvited guests.

Nowabout you luvs_food,

I hope you're not like me and suffer from a hangover after a night of getting good and drunk. I always have a lot of fun while I'm getting drunk and I am a very happy and funny person in the process of it all but the next morning when I wake it's like ooooooooooooooooh god, help me. And then I turn right around the next day and do the same thing all over again.

I think that is called a slow learner. :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom