Where did your family come to your country from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both my parents immigrated from Armenia in the early 20th century during the period of the Armenian Genocide.

My father’s family came to America from France in the 1650s to escape religious persecution.

My mother’s family came from England in the early 1900s to escape what they believed to be a rigid social class system.

It’s interesting but of little value. I could have easily pulled a different ticket in the lottery of life and ended up being a … 🤷‍♀️🤭😉

My parents were born and raised in Scandinavia. My dad was born in Swedish occupied Saepmie and my mother was born in Denmark.

My mother's family came from Scotland and England before the Revolution. My father's family came from England and Germany before the Revolution.

Mum from the Netherlands, dad from the Dutch East Indies.
Me born and raised in the Netherlands, then moved away for work, lived in several countries and am currently in Zambia (Southern Africa)

I was adopted at birth and had no idea of my roots or idea about my birth parents. I was told early on and I was fine with it. Happy to have 2 great parents. Adoptive parents.
When I grew up and had kids of my own they wanted to know more especially family history and possible inherited illnesses. But my adoptive parents told me little and it seemed they did not want to share any more than they already had.
I expected I knew who they/she were and possibly it was an extended family member or friend. My wife and I guessed at the possibilities.
When they passed away I finally took a DNA test and found out I was mostly of Irish, Scottish and Norwegian descent. I was raised in an Italian Spanish home. Where my love for cooking blossomed.
This cleared up any notion that I knew my birth parents. The state of Florida is not adoption friendly but I was able to get a basic report about them. Adoption records are closed to the adopted.

(3)Yugoslavia and (1)Germany to the US before my parents were born.

Living in the Netherlands:
Father Dutch, but probably from a clan with Jewish bloodlines from 17th C, watered down.

Mother Germany.
We were AFS- exchange parents for a NZ-girl in 1991. She visited us years later. Found out her familytree goes down to a farmers-clan around the Bodensee, Switzerland.
That is also our Mom's line.
It

Back
Top Bottom