Which all-clad set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

setti

Assistant Cook
My fiance and I have decided to splurge for our wedding preset to each other and buy a set of all clad pans. I enjoy cooking quite a bit, although I am not a professional chef by any means.

The local store as a 9 piece set of the stainless steel for $480 usd.

My finance would rather get the more expensive set of the copper core set which is a crazy $1200 usd.

Neither set comes with a chef's pan, which I would really like. So i would have to purchase that separately. Any thoughts on these two sets? Would I really notice that much a different with the more expensive set?

Personally, I would not buy a set. I would choose individual pieces that I know I would use. It would always be possible to add to what you have bought. In my case, there are some pieces in a set that I wouldn't use. I really an unsure as to what kind, copper core or stainless to buy.

Hello Setti...Welcome to DC....

I'm not a fan of "sets" either....A 9 piece set sometime counts a lid as one piece...
Buy the exact pieces you want...Shop around locally, and on the internet.....deals can be had on All Clad..One site sells "seconds"...a slight scratch or abrasion here or there...You'll never notice, and it does not effect the way the piece performs...
Personally...for me...I would not spend the money for the Copper Core....
Bottom line...Never pay MSRP for All Clad....

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

I agree on not buying a set. I would recommend getting the MC2 line. It is steel lined aluminum. Not that it matters but it seems to be what they use on Iron Chef America.

Chad

Go to this website and shop for individual pieces that you would actually envision yourself using regularly. Sets will almost always pieces you really won't make good use of.

I don't think you would notice any difference in cooking performance between the two All-Clads. The copper core set is prettier and cannot be put in the dishwasher. The SS version can go in the DW.

Count me as a "no set" person, too. You've already voiced a desire for a specific pan. That is a further endorsement of shopping for cookware one-piece-at-a-time. I've been cooking for over 50 years and have never purchased a set of cookware. I usually buy the piece for my targeted task.

Thank you for all the input. I'll definitely look into buying individual pieces. Aside from that there is little difference in between the two types?

Comparing the All-Clad stainless line to the copper core line, you already know there is a major price difference. The copper core is 2.5 time more expensive! You could buy a lot more stuff for that price difference!

Visually, the copper core line has a copper accent through the stainless exterior to give it a distinctive look.

Practically, if you have an induction cooktop, you have to go with the stainless line as the copper core won't work with the induction cooktop.

The stainless line has an aluminum core while the copper core line has an aluminum core split with a layer of copper in the middle. I doubt even an advanced home cook would detect any difference in cooking performance between the two.

Also, the copper will tarnish and have to be polished.

Check Ebay, too. I have an All-Clad Stainless 8-Quart Stock Pot and an All-Clad Copper-Core 12" Fry Pan that I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago. Both were brand new, in the box, unused, with full warranty, and I paid $100 each.

Given the condition of the economy and the number of shops closing, there should be a lot of deals available these days. Just be careful about the dealers you buy from.

Go to this website and shop for individual pieces that you would actually envision yourself using regularly. Sets will almost always pieces you really won't make good use of.

I don't think you would notice any difference in cooking performance between the two All-Clads. The copper core set is prettier and cannot be put in the dishwasher. The SS version can go in the DW.

Andy took the words right out of my mouth!

I would not recomend any cookware that can't go in the dishwasher. Life is too short for that! :mrgreen:

Yea I am worried about the whole induction stove thing. 20 years from now that may be the only thing you can get. And i want to get pans that will last me 40+ years.

Back
Top Bottom