Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Gordon Ramsay!

Years ago I didn't watch him much as I had heard bad things about him, but he really is quite a nice and intelligent man :)

I have to agree Kylie. He could act a bit more human at times, but I do like him.

And farewell to Paula Deen .. she's history now. I won't miss her.

I have to agree Kylie. He could act a bit more human at times, but I do like him.

And farewell to Paula Deen .. she's history now. I won't miss her.

Ditto here. My girlfriend in Atlanta called me tonight and she feels the same way. I have been ranting about her for two years. And she finally 'got it.' Paula grew up with her Aunty T. Well I was good friends with Trina. We talked so many times on the phone. And when I had my heart surgery, she sent me some lovely gifts. She told me more than once that Paula's "southern accent" was put on. She does have a southern accent, but it is a gentle one just like Trina's. And when Trina tried to call Paula to wish her a Happy Birthday, she wouldn't take the call. Fame and fortune went to her head. :angel:

Poor Paula!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Now the Food Network will be doing the back peddle two step to disassociate themselves from her. I hope she gets the Jeff Smith treatment. So much for their genuine, down to earth hosts.

Poor Paula!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Now the Food Network will be doing the back peddle two step to disassociate themselves from her. I hope she gets the Jeff Smith treatment. So much for their genuine, down to earth hosts.

Craig, did you notice once the truth came out about her lying about her diabetes, the FN had taken her off the air and only reruns were shown. She didn't come forward about her developing diabetes until she had signed a lucrative contract for being the spokesperson for the pharmaceutical company for the new drug for diabetes.

There is always someone in the background that knows the truth and will sell it for a price. :angel:

I never liked Paula Deen but what the food network has done is reprehensible.

I agree. And I didn't mind Paula, she showed that a single mom starting with almost nothing could become a successful entrepreneur.

I am on the fence about this whole drama that has erupted on national television. We all know that the media sells…..and people love a good story even if it is blown out of proportion. And now with social media…it is 100 times worse.
I don’t condone what she has said….but it sounds as if these things were said a LONG time ago even before she was famous.….regardless…. it was wrong of her. I try and treat everyone equally regardless of religion, color, and/or sexual orientation however everyone makes mistakes……you forgive and you move on.
I’ll bet each and every one of us has said unkind things in the past that we regret saying or doing. We are human… lets not forget that.

I’m not saying I don’t believe that she said the things she said…..I just think the media and Food Network has blown it way out of proportion and were looking for a way to get rid of her and this just fell into their laps.
Even though I don’t watch her show ….primarily because her recipes are fattening and I try to eat healthy but some of the comments I have seen on Facebook and other media people are being really cruel to her. She is being crucified and I think it is uncalled for. I find it very hard to believe she is as bad a person as she is being made out to be. JMHO

I'm not a Paula Deen fan by any means, but I think there's more to the story than what we are seeing on the news right now. I wouldn't be surprised if a video or audio tape surfaces in the coming days. I'm reserving judgment until more of the facts are out in the open.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one around who's feeling sorry for Paula at this point. Most of us have said things we regret saying and this looks like a feeding frenzy to me right now. Sheesh, she's practically begging for forgiveness which is sure more than we've seen from other public figures who have said much worse and kept their jobs without a problem. I think she deserves a break, but that's just me.

I've always known the degree of Paula's accent was a put on. Due to my profession, I am very voice oriented and all it took was watching several of her shows. She slips, will say a word(s) one way one time, then a different pronounciation another time. Once I caught on, it became a game to catch her when we used to watch her shows regularly. Because I am a southerner and do have an accent, and have been made fun of and/or put on the spot and made uncomfortable because of it, I am very sensitive about people that exaggerate southern accents. That was the first nail in her cofffin from my point of view. The second was that a large portion of her recipes that we tried were just not good and a couple were just downright gross.

Frankly, I think there's a lot more that hasn't come out. Given the social situation when she was growing up and a young adult and where she is from, there weren't a whole lot of tolerant, unbiased, un-bigoted people around. I'll be honest, until I was in my mid-teens and moved to a large city, it didn't even take both hands to count on my fingers the number of black people I had met. Those that I had met were upper middle class wealthy or more and educated and had moved into the town I lived in for professional/work related reasons. They didn't come from there. There was a black section of the town I lived in and the blacks pretty much stayed there. There weren't any black kids at my schools. BTW, I'm in my early 50s, compared to Paula's mid 60s. Opinions on black people weren't high to say the very least among the vast majority of adults I knew. These were people that professed themselves to be good church-going, God-fearing Christians. Guess I was pretty lucky in that my parents were apparently fairly neutral about blacks. Don't remember hearing them say anything bad about blacks but nothing good either. Though, to give them credit, they were courteous and friendly toward the mixed racial couple (white woman/black man, 2 very young girls) that tried to join our church (they made about 2 services and that was it). The other blacks that I had met were 2 girls my age, about 10-11 then, and their parents when the girls joined the county swim team I was on. My parents would at least socialize with them at team-related events where I noticed a lot of other parents and a good many of the other kids didn't. The girls were only on the swim team for one season and never came back after the "Country Club" end of season party where the family was pretty much ignored. So guess I lucked out in that my parents were at least neutral toward blacks but the majority of my friend's parents weren't. I, of course, have no way of knowing how Paula was brought up and what her family was like privately. I only know what the social mores and outlook was like where I was brought up and I'm not from as far south as she is. So, I'm speaking from my own experience when I say I think there's a lot more that hasn't come out yet.

One last thing, anybody who thinks there still isn't severe discrimination and bigotry going on is wrong, especially in the deep south. Part of my family lives in the central portion of Mississippi in a tiny little town. The white kids get sent to private schools out of town, the black kids go to public. White adults get addressed by black adults as Miss (first name here) or Mr. (first name here). The races certainly don't live intermixed. You either have white or black neighbors depending on what matches the color of your own skin. Basically, if you took away all the modern conveniences, you could be living 100+ years ago. It's actually kind of creepy for me when I visit.

I guess I'm the only one around who's feeling sorry for Paula at this point. Most of us have said things we regret saying and this looks like a feeding frenzy to me right now. Sheesh, she's practically begging for forgiveness which is sure more than we've seen from other public figures who have said much worse and kept their jobs without a problem. I think she deserves a break, but that's just me.

Kayelle, you're not the only one, see the above posts. And I agree, it's definitely a feeding frenzy.

Paula's a tough old bird, she'll be fine. She might even write a book about it....

Medtran, some good insight. Thanks.

Last edited:
NO your feelings are the same as mine. People often say things then realize oh boy did I goof and often ask for forgivness. Why can't we be big enough to do just that forgive, forget and move on. I admire her for the life she has given her boys .Mistiake yes forgiveness yes, Food network you've goofed can you say your sorry?
kades

No one makes it to 66 years old without saying or doing some things that they regret and that would not stand up to the scrutiny of a television interviewer or a skilled attorney.

Paula will be ripped to shreds on the news and various talk shows.

In a few months the redemption tour of all the talk shows will begin.

We may even get a book or a made for television movie out of this.

I don't condone what was said or done but, this whole process sickens me.

I agree that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't regret having said something in their lifetime.

I find it interesting that the contract was up for renewal and had not yet been taken care of. Was there hesitation from her side or FN side?

If this were something she had done prior to her FN days then it's ancient history. But this happened while she was employed by FN. And not only once.

When someone is in the spotlight and representing a company (ie Food Network) they are a reflection of that company. For that reason I can understand why FN would have concern. If FN were my company I would not want someone with that attitude out there representing my image.

Also .. give me a break .. she's not a goofy teenager who doesn't know better.

I think she finally got caught doing what was normal for her in that environment and forgot to think twice before opening her mouth.

No need to beg forgiveness .. acknowledge the wrong, say you are sorry and don't do it again. Just remember when you are a celebrity you must be more careful because it will eventually catch up.

And you are all correct ... she is a tough bird ... there will be a book, a movie and who knows, maybe someone else will pick her up and she will be back on the air again.

First of all, what she said is probably the one epithet that will always generate the biggest reaction by the public. There is no recovering from that. You will be crucified.

Second, though she claims to not be prejudiced, you just don't have that word in your vocabulary if you are not.

Third, not much surprises me anymore. If FN was looking for an excuse, this was tailor made.

I never cared for her show, too sugary sweet and affected. Sis likes her recipes and has eaten in her restaurant. To each his own.

Not sure we'll hear anymore but she's probably done as a TV Chef. According to one report on TV today, she has a $60 million 'empire' so she'll be able to put food on the table.

All of this fuss came about because there is a lawsuit filed against her for hostile working conditions and sexual harassment filed by employees in the restaurant that she and her brother Bubba own jointly. According to the complaint, the remarks regarding blacks were a normal part of her daily conversations.

FN had put a hold on her filming new shows since the debacle of the diabetes came out and made news. She withheld the information regarding her being diagnosed with diabetes for two years so she could sing a lucrative contract with the pharmaceutical company that was putting a new drug on the market. She was to be their spokesperson. During those two years she was still pushing those recipes and foods that would be devastating for diabetics to eat. It wasn't until after the news was made public that she was a diabetic did she start creating healthy recipes. Too little too late. And now this scandal on top of that. FN has to protect their brand. The fact that her contract was cancelled just two weeks before it expired tells me that they were not going to renew it anyway. Contract negotiations usually start months before the present one is due to expire. Not after.

I never liked Paula Deen but what the food network has done is reprehensible.

My guess is they did not plan to renew her contract. Only a month until she was up and they had not signed a deal??????

This lawsuit has been in the works for quite some time. Its not new news to FN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom