Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basing your opinion of a chef's ability on whether or not he has a TV show or is willing to compete on a contrived competition show is not the most logical approach.

All I can say is that I've never seen Gordon Ramsay cook. I don't have any of those fancy cable or satellite channels. Right now I'm living in temporary quarters, I can't get any of that stuff. I guess I've lived a deprived life too since I never saw any of his cooking programs. All I've seen is the reality shows. All I've ever seen him do is curse a blue streak.

I'd like to see the camera focus in on Ramsay, alone on the stage at a cooking show setup, and have him entertain me with an interesting recipe I can cook at home and demonstrating the cooking technique.

Until then all I have is the reality shows. I'm not arguing he isn't or is good. Just haven't seen it.

As far as the cooking competition shows, they're about reality and competition, not cooking. Cooking on those shows is just a stage prop. I won't say I haven't watched them, but they've taught me basically nothing about cooking. Hell's Kitchen (I think that was the one) was somewhat interesting in giving a behind the scene look at restaurants, but I'll never be a professional chef or restaurant owner so that was just entertainment for me, not cooking.

I hope I'll see Ramsay demonstrate a recipe some day. Until then I'll reserve my judgement about whether he's a good TV chef.

Basing your opinion of a chef's ability on whether or not he has a TV show or is willing to compete on a contrived competition show is not the most logical approach.
then what is? I never sd anything about having a tv show as proof, I was just merely replying to gourmet greg saying he's never Gordon on any tv shows... and how is top chef or iron chef contrived? it may not be to you but it's a pretty fair measure of one's ability.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I've never seen Gordon Ramsay cook. I don't have any of those fancy cable or satellite channels. Right now I'm living in temporary quarters, I can't get any of that stuff. I guess I've lived a deprived life too since I never saw any of his cooking programs. All I've seen is the reality shows. All I've ever seen him do is curse a blue streak.

I'd like to see the camera focus in on Ramsay, alone on the stage at a cooking show setup, and have him entertain me with an interesting recipe I can cook at home and demonstrating the cooking technique.

Until then all I have is the reality shows. I'm not arguing he isn't or is good. Just haven't seen it.

As far as the cooking competition shows, they're about reality and competition, not cooking. Cooking on those shows is just a stage prop. I won't say I haven't watched them, but they've taught me basically nothing about cooking. Hell's Kitchen (I think that was the one) was somewhat interesting in giving a behind the scene look at restaurants, but I'll never be a professional chef or restaurant owner so that was just entertainment for me, not cooking.

I hope I'll see Ramsay demonstrate a recipe some day. Until then I'll reserve my judgement about whether he's a good TV chef.
Gordon is not just a tv chef, he is an accomplished chef with highly respected restaurants in the us and europe like Puck and charlie trotter. Ok so you don't have cable or directv..do you have internet? try you tube and watch a little of his show the F word and I think you'll get a glimse of more than a foul mouth which I judge him 1st too with Hells kitchen.

Last edited:
Lots of TV chefs own restaurants and I'm sure they're good chefs, including Gordon Ramsay, including Rick Bayless, including Ming Tsai, and all of them.

Perhaps I have the topic wrong. I've been thinking along the lines of which TV chefs do the best for me as far as their TV shows teaching me real recipes and cooking techniques. I think I'm at odds with many of the other forum members in this topic.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I mind the blue language so much (although I try to avoid that in my own talk). It's just that watching one of Ramsay's reality shows the censors bleep out so much of the talk that I can't understand WTH they're saying a lot of the time. I'd probably be more entertained if they left in the curses.

To me the best TV chef is the one that teaches me the most about cooking.

I don't like Gordon Ramsey, either. I find him boorish and cruel. I don't care if he cooks well, he's already lost my interest in anything he does by his obnoxious behavior.

then what is? I never sd anything about having a tv show as proof, I was just merely replying to gourmet greg saying he's never Gordon on any tv shows... and how is top chef or iron chef contrived? it may not be to you but it's a pretty fair measure of one's ability.

I wasn't responding to your post.

The only way to know how good a chef is is to eat his food.

n
He's the real deal, although I hated him in the beginning seeing him shout and belittle on Hell's kitchen.

HK is the only show of his I don't like. I think he's a wonderful chef, and entrepeneur (before he became a TV chef) and I like the way he thinks about food. I suspect is "anger" is more theater than reality.

Not all great chefs and cooks are on TV. Mark Bittman doesn't have the personality for it neither does Kenji Alt, but their food is terrific.

Last edited by a moderator:
First choice for sure, Jacques Pepien followed by Lydia Bastianich and Daisy Martinez. They are, to me, COOKING, FEEDING chefs. Not just food show personalities. But I would love to hang with Bourdain and Batali.

I do think that when chefs open up resturants at multiple locations around the country that things must get diluted and lost in the translation between the name on the door and the person doing the actual cooking. But then again, I have never had the opportunity to eat at any of them.:(

I honestly do not know who I would choose. I'd want someone who was willing to experiment with food and would be willing to go out of their comfort zone to cook for me. I find that most TV chefs have a niche, which I would find limiting. I tend to go through phases. One summer, I went through a lemon phase where everything I made had lemon in it. Now days, I am in a seasonal phase where I want foods that are local and seasonal, if possible.

I think I would choose either Harold Dieterle (the winner of the first Top Chef challenge) or Alton Brown. Not because of looks or any other reason than I think both would say, "Let's try it" when I say something absurd like, "What is it and can we make it into a mousse?" I also think they could roll with the "I just want beans and weinies with cornbread tonight" without getting huffy or telling me that it is hardly French/proper, etc. Nor do I think either would be tearful or offended if I said, "Seriously, dude. It needs more wasabi." You know? :)

The problem with the question asked in this topic is that there's no single way to define "best" that everybody would agree upon. "Best" means different things to different people because they are looking for different qualities in TV chefs. In some ways this is similar to trying to define the "best" food or "best cuisine." All of these bests depend on personal preferences.

I'm interested in learning recipes and cooking techniques from TV chefs so the best TV chef is the one that teaches me the most about recipes, cooking and cuisine that interests me.

Actually, I think the OP was pretty clear. "Put it this way, who would you want to cook for you if you were having an important Anniversary dinner ? Just cook for you behind closed doors." That is what I answered.

In order to judge between chefs to determine which is the overall most skilled rather than which someone would prefer, one would need basis for comparison.

Pepin is prob the best cook, but for my dinner, it would be the guy who used to do "The Surreal Gormet". I can't remember his name, but I would laugh through the whole meal!

If you want to be inspired get "Julia and Jacques: Cooking at Home" (the book). You can get inspired anytime you want and no TV set necessary. It's one of my favorite cookbooks, and a few more favorite cookbooks by Julia inspire me too.

on your recommendation, greg, i sent away for the julia and jacques book today.
you say it is one of your favorite cookbooks. hopefully it will be one of my favorites, too. actually chances are good since i have not bought a cookbook in many, many years. i am a big fan of both julia and jacques, and for $7.00 i don't think i can go wrong with this collaboration....:chef::)

Vitauta I'm pleased that you'd value my recommendation, and from reading this forum I think most of the members would enjoy J&J Cooking at Home. It's an interesting book in that Julia and Jacques don't always agree or at least have different perspectives, so it's an interesting look into the minds of two leading chefs.

Your $7 deal sounds like an Amazon used book special to me and a very good deal if hardcover. I'm pretty sure mine came from Amazon in "like new" condition although I'm pretty sure I paid significantly more. I've often found very good deals on "like new" cookbooks. Apparently a lot of people buy cookbooks and never open them. Or like me they keep treasured cookbooks out of the kitchen and work from notes instead of the books themselves.

If you like this cookbook you should get Julia's French cooking book next. I think the message of both J&J and her French cookbook is cooking ordinary foods and simple ingredients and then dressing them up with cooking techniques such as saucery. It's amazing what you can do with a chicken, some cream and stock, and a few spices.

Please let me know how you like this cookbook. I'll be pleased if you become as fond of it as I have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom