Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several ... Alton Brown, Bobby Flay, Emeril, Paula Deen, Rachael Ray, & Tyler Florence.

But my favorite ...

:chef: ALTON BROWN :chef:

I just love Nigella Lawson and Kylie Kwong's cookery shows.....apart from that Tarla Dalal gives awesome nonveg india recipes.......

Gordon Ramsay. I would love to see him on ICA! Fantastic cook books and Web recipes.

Vince

Rick Bayless hands down is my favorite. Bobby Flay is a contender. I think Guy is fun, and I would love to hang out with him. Ramsay also amazing not a hells kitchen fan, but I love watching him on kitchen nightmares, and his new book is pretty good.

Bobby Flay, Tylers Ultimate, Alton Brown
All great chefs, and in fact, I like em all but some of the recipes I don't particularly care for.

I love Alton Brown's scientific explanations and how he takes an entire show to break down a particular facet of cooking. I really learn a lot from him and can adapt it to other recipies.

In the subject at hand - for the current television chef, I would have to say Emeril. He's knowledgable, entertaining and I've not made a recipe of his yet that hasn't been absolutely foolproof and delicious :eek:)

LOL - the nice thing about PBS TV Chefs - they get recycled! I hadn't seen Nick Stalone on a cooking show in 5 or more years (he shows up on those home shopping network shows from time to time in the middle of the night or on weekends) and this morning there he was making an abominal dish from some lovely fresh tuna (I actually like his recipes - but he drives me nuts with his "follow the fingers walking" stichk!)

Maybe next week Biba will be a current television chef, too?

I love Alton Brown's scientific explanations and how he takes an entire show to break down a particular facet of cooking. I really learn a lot from him and can adapt it to other recipies.

Look for 3 books:

On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen - Harold McGee
The Curious Cook - Harold McGee
Cookwise - The Secrets of Cooking Revealed - Shirley O. Corriher

Those will give you about 90% of the "science" behind Alton's shows - plus a lot more info.

LOL - the nice thing about PBS TV Chefs - they get recycled! I hadn't seen Nick Stalone on a cooking show in 5 or more years (he shows up on those home shopping network shows from time to time in the middle of the night or on weekends) and this morning there he was making an abominal dish from some lovely fresh tuna (I actually like his recipes - but he drives me nuts with his "follow the fingers walking" stichk!)

Maybe next week Biba will be a current television chef, too?
You a Biba fan Michael? she use to have a show on PBS..Her restaurant is very nice and her favorite drink, wonderful
kades

You a Biba fan Michael?

YEP! I love her approach ... she is so much like grandma and my mom's older sister - she teaches without being "teachy". Lidia makes me want to hide my knuckles from Sister Mary-Elizabeth-Lidia and her knuckle-busting ruler!

for on the edge creativity, Mario Batali; for good solid chefing, Tyler Florence.

I also respect Flay, Simon, Cora, Morimoto, and Burrel. They've all come up thru the restaurant world and know their business.

There are lots of great chefs out there, many without the in your face personality TV demands. One great one here in my region is Chef David Banks of Harry's Savoy and Seafood Grills, Wilmington DE.

Look for 3 books:

On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen - Harold McGee
The Curious Cook - Harold McGee
Cookwise - The Secrets of Cooking Revealed - Shirley O. Corriher

Those will give you about 90% of the "science" behind Alton's shows - plus a lot more info.

Ahh, perfect. I will have to pick those up. My whole career is science-based but cooking frequently escapes me. Spaghetti and meatballs are way more difficult than combining ADP and inorganic phosphate to make ATP. :rolleyes:

I think after a while they all get On your last nerve, I can't that bleach head guy. he is so full of himself. I like bobby and tyler.

I don't know if I can separate personality and ability. It would make a big difference for me who cooks my food RR or Giada, even if it waws the same recipe, the same everything. I doubt i would want to eat anything RR cooks, I just dislike her too much.

In all the truth this paot should have beeen made as a poll. Would have been much easier to answer.

While I like many of Ina Garten's recipes, her television show & personality trigger my gag reflex. WAY over the top PHONY. All those dinner parties - especially the "surprise" ones - make me nuts. She's no actor, & neither are her vendors or guests. I wish she'd just stick to cooking & cut all that garbage out.

Yeah, for the first time I not only do not want to fight with you, Breezy (not that I ever did), but i want to hug you because you are SOOOO right about this show and the Ina. I can't stand her, she so fake.

i saw on 'Chefography' that she wanted a show 'bout more than solely cooking. i'm not a fan, myself. not rippping on her, i just prefer other shows.

I really and I mean really love Bobby Flay. In my opinion he's an amazing chef, not at all a fan of his personality esp. on iron chef. But I frequently go online and check out his menus at Mesa or Bar America to see what's new. I make some of those dishes here at home and I am telling you..the man is a genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom