Which Cheese Melts the Creamiest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are five mother sauces, Bechemel, Veloute', Espagnagnole(Brown Sauce) , Hollandaise and tomato sauce, though some would replace the Tomato Sauce with Vinaigrette.

Bechemel: Traditionally, Bechemel sauce was made with a thick veal stock. Today, it's usually made with a white roux and milk or cream, with a bit of salt and nutmeg.

From it, small, or derivative sauces are made, such as Alfredo - Bechemel with Parmesano Regiano (though many make this sauce simply with heavy cream and Parmesan Regiano), Mornay - Bechemel with Guyere, and others. The following URL shows a few of the many derivative sauces made from Bechemel: RecipeSource: Bechamel Sauce

Veloute is also made with a white roux, though I cook to the blonde stage (very lightly browned), then combined with veal, poultry, or pork stock or broth (in the U.S., this is simply known as a flour based gravy). Here is a site that gives a little more information: What is Velouté Sauce?

And so it is with the other mother sauces. They are not usually used by themselves, but are the mothers, from which other sauces, called daughter, small, or derivative, sauces are made. A few exceptions would be sausage gravy, which if you think about it, is a sausage grease Bechemel to which browned sausage is added. Creamed chipped beef is Bechemel with dried chip beef is re-hydrated and served in. Chicken Ala King is Bechemel with veggies and cooked chicken meat added. And so it is with creamed veggies.

Another cheese sauce that can be made with Bechemel is Cheddar Sauce, usually made by adding a bit of yellow, prepared mustard, and grated sharp cheddar cheese, with the Bechemel removed from the heat.

The technique is very simple. Simply combine equal parts fat and flour over medium heat and stir until combined. Add a bit of salt, and nutmeg and stir while slowly adding milk or cream. The sauce with at first begin to clump, and then turn into a thick paste. As more milk or cream is whisked in, it will start to loosen up and become very creamy smooth. Continue adding liquid until a velvet-smooth sauce is formed. Remove from the heat and add whatever cheese or other ingredients is required to make the kind of sauce you want. The cheese should be grated and at room temperature so that it will complete melt and combine with the Bechemel sauce. The strength of the cheese flavor depends on how much, and how strong the cheese is.

Veloute can be made from the broth from split-pea soup, before the soup is cooked down to the thickened stage. This will temper the strong flavor of the pea broth when the Veloute is added back into the soup. This is called binding the soup, and will keep pea solids from sinking to the bottom of the pot, or suspend the solids. It isn't required for pea soup, and many opt to thicken the soup by simply boiling it down until the split-peas dissolve and naturally suspend themselves. Which version you like best is completely up to you.

So, as you can see, Bechemel is much more than simply a "white sauce". It is the mother from which a myriad of small sauces are built.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

T

Last edited:
Last year sometime... I made some 'velveeta'.

It was water, milk and plain unflavored gelatin, whirred in a blender until dissolved, add cheese (cheddar). The cheese should not be melted, or hot, but just a little cooler than room temperature. Run the blender until it was creamy, shiny and not grainy.
I packed it in plastic wrap, in the form of a square log--some cardboard container.
It melted beautifully. The only drawback was that it went bad--moldy--more quickly than cheese, or store bought velveeta.

So, I guess if you want to make some mexican tortilla dipping sauce with velveeta and tomato/peppers canned.......this would be an option.

Here is the original recipe:
Line a 8x4x2 loaf pan with plastic wrap
Put 1/2 cup water, 3 tbls. milk, and 1/2 tsp. gelatin into blender
Blend until gelatin has dissolved
Add 1/2 lb. grated Cheddar cheese
Blend until blended
Pour into loaf pan
Repeat same procedure two more times
Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight before unmolding
Makes 2 pounds.

Keep in refrigerator.

There's a lot of debate about replacing tomato with mayonnaise, too

Grant you it can take skill to make a good homemade mayonaise, but it doesn't come up to the skill required for making the other sauces. You can use a FP or mixer to make mayo. You can't do that when making the others on the stove. I will stay with the original ones. :)

All of this is good stuff, but the Opsimply wants to know which cheese will melts the best, so that it can be incorporated into a smoot sauce. To that end, bechemel, and the small sauce - Mornay were offered as bases for the sauce.

A great sauce can also be made simply using heavy cream and a well flavored cheese, following the same direction. Get the cream hot, but no more than about 190 dgrees, remove from the heat, and stir in grated cheese until it is smoothly combined to make a sauce.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Some awesome discussions here. But I think all she wanted was to melt some cheese over potatoes. Not any kind of sauce or anything like that. Simple.

CharlieD said:
Some awesome discussions here. But I think all she wanted was to melt some cheese over potatoes. Not any kind of sauce or anything like that. Simple.

:ROFLMAO: I couldn't have said it better, Charlie!

This whole thread has been hilariously educational!

for his italian style mac 'n cheese, fabio goes with a blend of cheddar, fontina, bleu cheese and parmesan. yahoo is featuring fabio's recipe along with a demo vid today. he, uh, it, looks definitely melty....

All I can say right now is WoW!! And of coarse thanks. I'm almost speechless... You guys are intense. Thank you all for your input.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Heck, we could talk about food all day...wait! We do that already!:LOL:

Oh wait, it's coming to me.....ah! Discuss, umm, shoot, I lost it.

Swiss Gruyère ( Fondue )

Throughout Switzerland, Swiss gruyère is used in the making of Cheese Fondue with Kirsch, a clear Cherry Brandy. It melts very creamy.

Why do you ask ?

Margi Cintrano.

My answer is Mexican Chihuahua Cheese. *it is from cows milk*

Chihuahua is a Queso Blanco, a white cheese that is the number one Mexican melting cheese.

Chihuahua has a creamy texture and is mild in taste and the ideal cheese for your quesadillas and nachos.

I have won a few cookoff competitions using this cheese. So mild, yet rich and tasty. Melts like butter almost.

Chihuahua has a creamy texture and is mild in taste .

The little dogs are the creamiest!

chihuahua.jpg

The easiest way to remember the 5 mother sauces is this anagram:

B
E
T
H
V

Béchamel, Espagnole, Tomato, Hollandaise, and Velouté.

Hope that helps some of you! x3

Back
Top Bottom