Who are professional chefs here? Who are just cooking junkies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not that one, another Le Corden Bleu.

Viola! We have one of those here in Las Vegas ... in the Summerlin area.

I guess there are several Le Corden Bleu school across the USA.

I have been to the school here in Vegas a time or two to eat in the restaurant ... all students 'intern' in the restuarant.

I'm just a junkie.
My wife has fibromyalgia, and my true cooking passion ignited when we were
trying a special restricted diet for her.. it made thinking up tasty stuff a challenge,
and I got hooked.

Contemplating a career change at the tender age of 48 and going to the local community college for culinary school.... but I think I won't like the realities of
professional cooking. Decisions, decisions.

Viola! We have one of those here in Las Vegas ... in the Summerlin area.

I guess there are several Le Corden Bleu school across the USA.

I have been to the school here in Vegas a time or two to eat in the restaurant ... all students 'intern' in the restuarant.

neat! we're supposed to open a 'restaurant' soon.

I'm not a profesional chef, but am chef of my own kitchen (in my house I'm Chief of the Kitchen, which, if I recall, is what chef means). I am passionate about creativity and cooking gives me an outlet for that creative fire, as does writing. I love good food, and am passionate about doing things the best way that I can, and not cutting corners if at all possible. I have a scientific/engineering background, and an artistic side as well. I am intensely curious about everything, and need to know what makes things work, and how to get the results I want for the resources available to me. I write novels, cookbooks, poems, and cook most anything under the sun, depending of course on the availability of time and money.

I thoroughly enjoy taking bad advice from the TV-Network, or some cookbooks, and teaching people why it's bad advise, and what truly works, based on personal obervation and scientific principles. I love learning and teaching others about anything that I can. I hate being laughed at or ridiculed and have gained respect in my community through my cooking skills. I am no stranger to research and experimentation, and use both in my cooking. After so many years of doing this, I have a strong intuitive sense of what will and won't work in the cullinary arts.

I love to share what I know, and learn new techniques from others. I love playing with flavors and textures in food. I enjoy re-creating amazing dishes that I've tasted from other places, without using a recipe.

Nope, I'm not a pro, but a talented home cook.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Not a pro here but...I remember when my son was a baby and my DH was on his way home, I would put him in his high chair and pretend to do a cooking show for him. Even at that young age he knew how hysterical that really was, lol.

just love the whole process of food. finding a recipe, buying the food and preparing it. always trying new things usually on guests. lol. when i was younger i cooking for two meat and potatoes men. that was very boring. now i cook what i want, money allowing.

I worked as a buss boy twice and a kitchen gofer - does that count? :ROFLMAO:

I just graduated a culinary arts program a couple weeks ago :) At age 35, and working in the automotive industry for 17 years - I saw my department go from 19 people to 4 in the span of about 6 months. I knew I needed a "plan B". I thought to myself, 'what do I love to do'. The answer was simple. Cook :) I went to a part time 11 month course. They offer an advanced program as well, but I'm not into cooking fancy stuff, so I can't justify the extra $7,500(same price as the course I just finished) to learn stuff I will probably never want to use. I don't have much of a desire to work the 6000 hours under a certified chef in order to write my red seal chef exam. I'm in the plans of buying a restaurant right now. Going to be a burger/hot dog/chicken wing place. I'm fine with that. I'm happiest to cook foods that I actually like to eat :)

Just a junkie. If I were 30 years younger...

Hondo, I don't know how many years you would have left after those 30, but I graduated from culinary school at 46, apprenticed with a very busy catering company, became a chef and opened my own catering business. Due to many health constraints I do it part time and mostly consult like Chef June. I am still actively working as a cake decorator however.

I am contemplating becoming a chocolatier in the fall if all things work out.

Don't let age stop you!

More than you know Arky.

I will second that Arky! My hubby started out helping me with my catering business doing jobs like dishes, peeling vegetables, etc. and just from being there and picking things up he now cooks often on his job as a group home worker - making things like salmon, potatoes au gratin, rice pilaf, roast chicken. Everyone loves his cooking and he rarely calls me any more for advice :LOL:

I, too, am interested in knowing who are pros and who are "just" foodies. I got interested in this site, and a predicessor of it, because I'd be walking through the grocery store AND would find confused people who weren't used to cooking puzzling over food products. I'd impose enough to say stuff like (a very, very young couple) who were debating a pork loin roast or tenderloins. For what they wanted to do, I steered them to tenderloins. Then one time I was shopping with a "I hate to cook" friend, and was explaining different lettuce to her (unlike now, there were fewer, and she's a real veggie lover). This was my favorite foodie moment. I was explaining various types of lettuce, how long they last, etc, and the produce manager for the store walked up and said, "I wish this store would hire you!" In fact, this dear friend of mine remembers the lessons I taught her that day.

I love this site because I can share simple stuff, plus benefit from people more experienced than I am, AND get some hints from real pros.

Professinal, just not yet a Chef

Figure this is a good place for a first post.

I am a professional cook, and am going to school for Hotel Restaurant Management. Eventually my goal is to apprentice, and become an official Chef, with my own place. I love cooking, and my wife and I are constantly having friends over for dinner parties.

I just graduated a culinary arts program a couple weeks ago :) At age 35, and working in the automotive industry for 17 years - I saw my department go from 19 people to 4 in the span of about 6 months. I knew I needed a "plan B". I thought to myself, 'what do I love to do'. The answer was simple. Cook :) I went to a part time 11 month course. They offer an advanced program as well, but I'm not into cooking fancy stuff, so I can't justify the extra $7,500(same price as the course I just finished) to learn stuff I will probably never want to use. I don't have much of a desire to work the 6000 hours under a certified chef in order to write my red seal chef exam. I'm in the plans of buying a restaurant right now. Going to be a burger/hot dog/chicken wing place. I'm fine with that. I'm happiest to cook foods that I actually like to eat :)

Truth to tell, Adam, if you have the right location, a great product and a good personality, with this kind of business you will always be in demand. People cut back on HOW MUCH they spend when they eat out, but they still do eat out. And if you are located near a college campus, your business could be a veritable gold mine.

Best of luck to you! :chef:

I'm just a junkie foodie, I try like hell, but I can't beat my real pro DW :-p I'm the sous chef in her kitchen, but every now and then she'll let me take the reigns in the kitchen, but she has to walk away ... I wont let her participate :LOL:

Truth to tell, Adam, if you have the right location, a great product and a good personality, with this kind of business you will always be in demand. People cut back on HOW MUCH they spend when they eat out, but they still do eat out. And if you are located near a college campus, your business could be a veritable gold mine.

Best of luck to you! :chef:

Thanks, ChefJune :) We are actually in a great spot. It's a smaller town, and we're right in the middle of downtown. The place has the biggest patio in the downtown area. A couple years ago an ice cream place in town closed down - owners retired. While it was open it was lined up out the door. Our idea is to have burgers etc, on one side of the menu and then all ice cream choices on the back - banana splits, huge sundaes etc. I think we're on the right track and something the town really needs. So, here's hoping! Thanks for your vote of confidence :)

Back
Top Bottom