Who's Eating June 3rd 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjmmytunes

Head Chef
I am, for one.

Got some ribeyes Thursday and fixed 2 in the broiler for our lunch today. I cut them in half and pound them before I season them. 1 has lemon pepper seasoning on it - that is Mom's. The rest have seasoning salt on them. They are mine. I am eating 1 now with 1/2 of a baked potato. Mom is having hers with a whole baked potato. Don't know what will be for supper tonight - probably leftovers.

About anything I make these days is a new recipe.

My sister and her husband are coming over for dinner. The apple cake is cooling on the rack and the spinach salad and dressing are made. Yet to make is the Mexican Casserole. It has lots of spices, something called meatless crumbles, tortilla chips, pinto beans, tomatoes, green onions, olives and fake monterey jack cheese. This morning I made some Texturized Vegetable Protein stuff that made a lot and some was used for some impromptu burritos for lunch. I will use the TVP stuff for the meatless crumbles and will give the home made vegan Monterey Jack cheese a try.

Oh I forgot. This dish is to be topped with a fake sour cream. I may serve it on top of each serving but I won't call it sour cream so as not to disappoint anyone. I guess I really got my hopes up with making these real food substitutes because the tofu based cheesecakes turned SO WELL. My subsequent attempts at sour cream, yogurt, cheeses...have not tasted so fantastic.

Last edited:
I gotta hand it to you, learning to cook a whole new way Beth!! It's clear that low carb cooking is a cinch compared to the many challenges of Vegan. You go girl!!

Tonight we're having four of the beautiful loin lamb chops we recently scored at Costco. I like to just pan fry them on all sides with Herbs de Provence, Penzey's roasted garlic granules and salt, to med. rare. I'll make Ratatouille to go with them.

I gotta hand it to you, learning to cook a whole new way Beth!! It's clear that low carb cooking is a cinch compared to the many challenges of Vegan. You go girl!!

Tonight we're having four of the beautiful loin lamb chops we recently scored at Costco. I like to just pan fry them on all sides with Herbs de Provence, Penzey's roasted garlic granules and salt, to med. rare. I'll make Ratatouille to go with them.

It is quite the challenge, but I am loving it. Here is a photo of the casserole with fake monty jack, before it went into the oven.

Attachments

• DSCN5808.jpg
    DSCN5808.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 163
I made deconstructed Thai egg foo yung. After I carefully pointed out to DH that I was going to make some more pancakes with the egg batter, and to help himself to the already cooked pancakes and the sauce (batter was in pitcher, sauce was in a saucepan) briefly left the room to come back and discovered DH had covered his pancakes with raw egg batter. Apparently someone doesn't listen. I scraped his plate into the garbage.

:LOL: at Dawg's DH! That would have been quite a surprise had he tasted it!

Beth, your casserole looks yummy. :yum:

I was thinking of grilling, but the wind came up so decided not to. I ended up with a salad of halved cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, red onion, and feta. Simple dressing of olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a couple of sprinkles of Penzey's Greek seasoning. I really enjoyed it - cool and refreshing.

We love the lamb chops, always with the Colman's mint sauce but I think I found the secret to the best possible Ratatouille....it's the best possible olive oil you have available, and lots of it. In my case it was TJ's California Estate Olive Oil, (unfiltered cold pressed from Arbequina olives)
Dang, it was good.

img_1513274_0_9fe355200085f8c3f731f01c92356a5c.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful looking thick lamb chops, Kay! :yum: I haven't had those, or ratatouille in way too long. Those will have to go on the menu soon.

...After I carefully pointed out to DH that I was going to make some more pancakes with the egg batter, and to help himself to the already cooked pancakes and the sauce (batter was in pitcher, sauce was in a saucepan) briefly left the room to come back and discovered DH had covered his pancakes with raw egg batter...
It is so difficult cooking when the kid is around, isn't it Dawg?

Good looking food, beth and Kayelle.

We cleaned up the last of the pork sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. We started in on a Boston Cream Pie that followed us home from the grocery store...

Apparently I left the door on the small freezer slightly ajar on Friday. DH was home sick and closed it, so we didn't lose any food, but it needed defrosting. So we're did that yesterday afternoon and I pulled out a couple items for dinner - pork ragu and polenta, which I served with caprese salad. Yum. 0603172127a_HDR.jpg

Meals today in Italy are not necessarily that consequential, our big Festival was June 2nd, The Founding of the Republic. Anyway, today I'm doing Pollo alla Diavola - spatchcock chicken - Roman style. This is a dish beloved of Romans. They love open flame cooking, and there is, in every traditional Roman trattoria, a grate, charcoal and two or three spits, popularly used all year round.

This method is somewhat unusual: when the chicken is cooked, melted butter and olive oil are painted over it, it is breadcrumbed, seasoned with chilli and herbs, put back over the fire for a minute or so, and then served. That'll go with a tomato and borlotti bean salad with a good fruity olive oil and plenty of bread. Now THAT's eating alla Romana!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I made Grandma Maroni's meatballs and sauce. This is a recipe that beat Bobby Flay in a "Throw Down".

Grandma Maronis Meatballs 100 Year Old Recipe Recipe | Food Network

I'm sure this isn't the whole recipe and the quantity of eggs is off. I use 4 eggs to 3lbs of beef. I substitute fresh bread crumbs for the dried and use grated PR for cheese. The amount of bread crumbs varies depending on how moist the mix feels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom