Why add oil to pan before cooking fatty meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Packs of frozen patties are of a consistent thickness and usually much thinner than homemade ones.

The tendency for fat thick burgers nowadays means that should you start cooking them without defrosting - the insides will not reach temperature before the outside is done. So it all really depends on the thickness of your patti.

Should you make them fairly even across and on the thinner side - I would say no, don't bother. But otherwise...

Your method of cooking (as in temperature used and pan) would also play a factor.

Flavour and to help the meat not stick. Should say this Swedish ground meat isnt as fatty as American, ours are leaner so I seldom need to drain off fat.

In the United States, we have a choice of ground beef with different amounts of fat. It ranges from 72 to 95 percent lean.

By the way, I found out you should not mash up, ball up, form up hamburger too much. It changes the texture when pan fried.

Last edited:
Why do people put oil in a pan before cooking fatty foods when so much fat oozes out anyway and much of it often just ends up drained away?
To prevent the thing you are cooking from sticking when first put into the hot pan. You needn't put a full bottle/half a stick of the oil/fat you are using - just enough to grease the base of the pan.

Back
Top Bottom