Why are rolls soooo hard to make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Ok, i made a batch of "texas roadhouse" style rolls the other day. You know, the sweet yeasted rolls with honey butter. Well no matter what recipe i use for rolls, the tops get nice and golden brown BUT the tops are dry and hard, yet the inside is soft. How do i get rolls to come out nice and soft all around like the packaged ones from the store or even the ones served at restaurants and buffets?

Thanx

matt

one could brush butter over tops when you get them out of the oven. I just put mine in a resealable plastic bag as soon as they have cooled a bit. I may leave the bag open on the counter for awhile to make sure there is not too much condensation (close it later). The crusts are uniformly soft.

one could brush butter over tops when you get them out of the oven. I just put mine in a resealable plastic bag as soon as they have cooled a bit. I may leave the bag open on the counter for awhile to make sure there is not too much condensation (close it later). The crusts are uniformly soft.

Hmm, butter eh. i will have to try that. Im tired have not getting an acceptable roll. haha

Thanx

Ya we used milk for the recipe. Scalded it first and then let it cool to lukewarm. then added the flour and what not..So brush with butter before the bake or after? And do i add milk to the butter to brush ontop?

thanx

I generally use whole milk but sometimes butter right as it comes out of the oven.

Just brush on with a pastry brush. Doesn't take but a smidge.

Rolls will come out of the oven crusty just about every time. I am willing to bet that at the restaurants that make these really soft rolls, they are brushed with butter or honey butter right out of the oven, so the other's advice is probably spot on.

We dip the raw dough in melted butter before putting the rolls into the pan for the final rise. Also, another great trick for softer texture (can you say melt-in-your-mouth) is to add mashed potatoes to the dough ingredients.

To insure that the roll crust is soft, place a sheet of plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the rolls before they are completely cooled. This will trap some of the moisture and keep the tops from drying out.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

We dip the raw dough in melted butter before putting the rolls into the pan for the final rise. Also, another great trick for softer texture (can you say melt-in-your-mouth) is to add mashed potatoes to the dough ingredients.

To insure that the roll crust is soft, place a sheet of plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the rolls before they are completely cooled. This will trap some of the moisture and keep the tops from drying out.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh my goodness, I made potato rolls last thanksgiving and they were wonderful, the potatoes made them so wonderfully soft. They were even great the next day and the day after that, a rare thing with a homemade roll!

definitely the way to go is to brush with melted butter as soon as you take them out of the oven. That would make them rich. You could also try a light brushing of a sugar syrup (equal parts water and dissolved sugar). That would soften but, of course, also add sweetness.

definitely the way to go is to brush with melted butter as soon as you take them out of the oven. That would make them rich. You could also try a light brushing of a sugar syrup (equal parts water and dissolved sugar). That would soften but, of course, also add sweetness.
I have been reading your blog. My sister likes it as well. any way thanx for the advice everyone. Im tired of having the rolls come out to crispy ontop and not soft . So im gonna try my recipe again AND im gonna dip half the raw dough in butter like goodweed of the north says and then the other half i will brush with butter when they come out of the oven. Oh and i will bake at a lower temp than the recipe says to. It says 375 for 10 min then 350 for another 10 min or until done. I will do 350 then 325.

Thanx

I have been reading your blog. My sister likes it as well. any way thanx for the advice everyone. Im tired of having the rolls come out to crispy ontop and not soft . So im gonna try my recipe again AND im gonna dip half the raw dough in butter like goodweed of the north says and then the other half i will brush with butter when they come out of the oven. Oh and i will bake at a lower temp than the recipe says to. It says 375 for 10 min then 350 for another 10 min or until done. I will do 350 then 325.

Thanx

Glad to help. Also glad you read the blog. Please pass along the address to anyone you think might like it.
All the best,

brush with butter but leave in the pan for 5 min or so. transfer to a wire rack and cover with a well-rung-out, damp tea towel until cooled. ;)

brush with butter but leave in the pan for 5 min or so. transfer to a wire rack and cover with a well-rung-out, damp tea towel until cooled. ;)

Ill give that a shot. Tired of my rolls being to crispy on the outside and not soft enough inside.

Back
Top Bottom