Why is using grounded ginger not acceptable most of the time in chicken marinades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use powdered ginger in most recipes calling for fresh ginger because I don’t use fresh ginger often enough to bother.

It’s not the same but it’s close enough for me.

If you do invest in a nice fat hand of fresh ginger, and only use a tablespoon, you could make a scaled down version of this candied ginger recipe by Alton Brown.

Last edited:
For every tablespoon of fresh you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
that the approximate formula, you will have to adjust according to what ever your recipe says.

If it is a dry rub or a wet rub - I often mix-up the whole thing (unless it is ridiculously large). Especially if it is the first time I make the recipe.
This way I will know what it is supposed to taste like. When I make it again I will know how to reduce it.

There is no reason not to :)
Personally, I prefer fresh.

Ginger freezes quite well, so you could consider that.
Peel, slice, use what you want and freeze the remainder.
It's fairly easy to chop from frozen.

Ginger keeps a long time if you prep it. I always have it on hand in the refrigerator.

Peel the entire hand. Cut it into usable sized chunks (usually and inch or two). Put the chunks in a clean jar and cover them with a dry sherry. It will keep almost indefinitely under the alcohol. Sherry is a very complimentary flavor with ginger, so there is no need to do anything when you need it, except chop it up.

I use fresh ginger in a ginger garlic stir fry sauce. I just ran out of some candied ginger I had made last year while making herbal tea bags yesterday.

There are health benefits to using fresh, candied, or dry. The dry ginger has so many health benefits and medicinal uses. https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/ginger/ Migraine sufferers might explore further how it compares to imitrex in relieving pain.

I like to use fresh for cooking by partially peeling, then mincing in the food processor, and putting into flattened zip lock bags to freeze, like I do the garlic.
Dry ginger has been making its way into my turmeric chai tea mix.

Ginger is a nice addition to tea. Ginger, honey, lemon in hot water is also soothing.

Ginger keeps a long time if you prep it. I always have it on hand in the refrigerator.

Peel the entire hand. Cut it into usable sized chunks (usually and inch or two). Put the chunks in a clean jar and cover them with a dry sherry. It will keep almost indefinitely under the alcohol. Sherry is a very complimentary flavor with ginger, so there is no need to do anything when you need it, except chop it up.
I really like this idea!

I usually add a tablespoon of sherry to my stir fry sauce.

I think the ginger infused sherry would take it up a notch even without adding the chopped ginger.

That ginger in the sherry does sound good, @Silversage!

I freeze ginger all the time - if I see some really good quality, at a good price, at one of the Asian markets (even those places don't always have good stuff), I'll get a good amount of it, peel it, and cut it into various sized pieces, put some in a small ziploc, to use first, but most I put in a large vacuum sealed bag or two, and it keeps indefinitely. I started this in the very beginning of the pandemic, when I stocked up on various things early in that 1st April, when I thought that might be the last time I would be able to get some of that stuff, and it lasted me a long time! I still have some galangal from then (don't use nearly as much of that). I just clip the corner off the vacuum bag, refill the small ziploc with ginger, then re-seal it.

I use dry ginger mostly for sweets, but it you have to, you can use it in savory dishes - flavor won't be the same, but something will be there. I probably use more of the dry in my chai masala powder than anything else - I just made more of it the other day, and it uses 3 tb per batch!

Last edited:
There is no reason not to :)
Personally, I prefer fresh.

Ginger freezes quite well, so you could consider that.
Peel, slice, use what you want and freeze the remainder.
It's fairly easy to chop from frozen.
I have frozen ginger in the past. I don't even bother peeling it before freezing the ginger. If I remember correctly, the peel easily rubs off of ginger that has been frozen. Like you, I don't cut up the ginger before freezing it.

Years ago, someone here mentioned storing ginger in sherry. I gave it a try. It worked well. I didn't even put it in the fridge. It was still fine a year or two later.

My DH doesn't like to find pieces of ginger in his food. He likes the flavour of ginger, if it isn't overwhelming. Nowadays, I substitute ginger juice. It works well, if you can find it. I substitute one for one, by volume, with fresh ginger. Ginger juice keeps well in the fridge, but needs to be shaken before use. I also enjoy drinking a bit of ginger juice mixed into club soda.

Back
Top Bottom