Why should I use my slow cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The house Buck and l lived in wasn't air-conditioned and here, in Kentucky, the summer temperatures can get to three digits. As an experiment one June, I cooked all our evening meals for that month in the crock-pot. It was a very interesting and educational exercise. I was amazed at the variety that was possible. Initially, I thought everything would take on some sort of sameness.

It was wonderful. Almost like being on a mini-vacation. For 30 days I practically didn't have to cook dinner.

I've also used it to bake cake and quick breads in it. It's one of the most convenient appliances we own.

Not really "one," because we have 4 different sizes and all are used on a regular basis.

I use the largest one to make applesauce when the apples are plentiful here in the fall. Yummy delicious stuff.

please share your applesauce recipe!

Sparrowgrass and Suzy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like food from a crock pot, I was starting to think I was the only one. I agree it all seems to have a "crock pot" flavor, whatever that is. I also just use mine in a potluck situation to keep food warm.
I do however enjoy cooking in my enameled cast iron dutch oven, long and slow on top of the stove, or in the oven. I guess I'm just a hands on sort of cook. :chef:

for those who say that crock pots attain a certain weird, common taste after a while, have you checked closely to see that it's been thoroughly cleaned?

i don 't mean this disrespectfully or as a joke, but the first few times that i've used new crock pots i noticed a sort of film bild up inside the crock that is a little hard to see but can very delicately be felt with your fingertips, especially in the bottom inside corner when cleaning it.

you have to scrub there with great prejudice until the entire inside is perfectly shiny and smooth, like brand new ceramics.

otberwise, i think some may suffer from certain flavours accumulating and actually condensing in tbe crock.

Sparrowgrass and Suzy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like food from a crock pot, I was starting to think I was the only one. I agree it all seems to have a "crock pot" flavor, whatever that is. I also just use mine in a potluck situation to keep food warm.
I do however enjoy cooking in my enameled cast iron dutch oven, long and slow on top of the stove, or in the oven. I guess I'm just a hands on sort of cook. :chef:

Kayelle, I also love "slow" cooking in enameled cast iron. But we also find that a pressure cooker does a wonderful job with stews and braises and even with some more delicate dishes.

To Buckytom, thanks for the hint about cleaning, but no, that is not something that we have overlooked.

Not the case for me either BT, although it makes sense. I'm a maniac about no residue whatsoever on cooking pots. Just ask my "soap stingy" husband who normally cleans them for me, and I do them over again (the right way). :glare::LOL:

please share your applesauce recipe!

No problem. Here it is:

KATIE’S PINK CROCKPOT APPLESAUCE
(Serves 8)​
8 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into fourths
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup tiny red cinnamon candies
¾ cup apple cider
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt

In a 3½-quart or larger crockpot, mix all ingredients.

Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1½ to 2 hours or until the apples are just beginning to get tender. Remove lid and stir with a wooden spoon to break up larger chunks. Serve warm or chilled. Note: This applesauce can be frozen in airtight containers for up to three months.

Not the case for me either BT, although it makes sense. I'm a maniac about no residue whatsoever on cooking pots. Just ask my "soap stingy" husband who normally cleans them for me, and I do them over again (the right way). :glare::LOL:

I'm a maniac about that too. Baking soda is my friend.

Hubby, as well as the dishwasher seldom do a good enough job for my taste.

I love my crock-pot but only for certain things: Stuffed Cabbage, Beef Stew, Sauerkraut and sausage....flavors that are supposed to infuse through each other. I can program mine to click to low, so I do not have to worry about everything cooking down to mush.

I hear you loud and clear, TL. Is your husband also of the mind that lids need little, if any attention?? :angry::censored:

He puts everything in the dishwasher that is allowed to go in it. So the lids aren't a problem. I have him trained to put some stuff on the dish rack for my approval before it gets put away, even if it came out of the dishwasher dry.

He has tried, but he just can't see the dirt I can see. :rolleyes:

That's called the pre-wash cycle at our place!:LOL:

I remembered another time I like to use my slow cooker...for Stuffing during holiday season! I don't like to stuff my turkey, but making the stuffing in the crock pot turns out great.

for those who say that crock pots attain a certain weird, common taste after a while, have you checked closely to see that it's been thoroughly cleaned?

I am going to smack you with my glove and challenge you to a duel--I will put my cleaning skills up against anyone's!! :LOL:

(Wooden spoons at 40 yards, how 'bout?)

No, this is not a flavor that develops over time--it is something I notice with almost all dishes cooked in a crockpot. Someone said 'muddy' and 'not bright'--that hits the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

I have never noticed anything peculiar about crock pots and the flavor of food. Maybe it is the style of recipes that are used more than the cooking vessel.

I am going to smack you with my glove and challenge you to a duel--I will put my cleaning skills up against anyone's!! :LOL:

(Wooden spoons at 40 yards, how 'bout?)

No, this is not a flavor that develops over time--it is something I notice with almost all dishes cooked in a crockpot. Someone said 'muddy' and 'not bright'--that hits the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.

For some reason, this flavor gives me a headache about every time. I do use my crockpot for things like keeping food hot at a buffet, but that is all!

I have no idea what you people are talking about - strange flavors? My crock pot liner is glazed ceramic that is well washed. I believe it's the same material as my ceramic baking dishes, ramekins and the coating on the inside of my Dutch Oven. I've never heard of clean, glazed ceramics imparting a noticeable flavor to anything.

I also don't hesitate to leave it on all night or when I leave then house because it carries a U.L. (Underwriter Laboratories) sticker on the bottom, meaning - this product has been thoroughly test and has built-in safety features to keep it from catching fire. That's the reason for the U.L. listing in the first place!

I have never noticed anything peculiar about crock pots and the flavor of food. Maybe it is the style of recipes that are used more than the cooking vessel.

I agree with Frank. I, too, have not noticed any off flavor in dishes prepared in my crock-pot and I've been using it regularly since I bought it in the early '70s. I cook everything from applesauce, meatloaf, holiday dressing, you name it and there's never been any flavor other than that intended.

In fact, I cooked yesterday's corned beef in the crock-pot and it was the best I've ever made.

I am a clean freak. Came from a medical household where dishes, utensils, silverware, cookware, etc. were cleaned to nearly surgical standards, so I know everything used in our kitchen is thoroughly cleaned.

Selkie brings up a good point about the material crock-pots are made of, so I am a bit puzzled why there should be any flavor alteration because of the vessel in which food is cooked.

Oh, well. That's why we're all free to make our choices. I just know that you'd better not take my crock-pot away.:ROFLMAO::ohmy:

If my deceased mother had not given it to me, I would say -- take my crockpot please!

Back
Top Bottom