WI - Dickeyville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Hi folks. First post here but I think if you're on the road through the midwest and find yourself on a rather circuituous route through Wisconsin, sort of along the Mississippi River, you might find yourself in Dickeyville. If so, you'll want to check out Shultzie's Supper Club. It's right on the main drag - Hwy. 61 heading south. It's not open on Monday's.

My SO and I were driving from Minneapolis down to Davenport, Iowa for an art show. He's a freelance artist. Anyway, we checked into a little motel a half a block south and asked about a good place to eat. Shultzie's is what the proprietess told us. So there we went.

The front of the place is just a bar, but the regulars were friendly rather than cliqueish. While we sat there an elderly couple came in and sat at the bar next to us. She was rather garrulous and told the bartender in no uncertain terms exactly how to prepare her Manhattan. He was dapper in a black suit and tie and didn't talk much; he just enjoyed his beer and listened.

Anyway, we both ordered the (small) icelandic cod platter. This was started with a cup of delicious baked potato soup. It's a good thing we ordered the small platter because this was three good sized cod fillets, battered and fried. We had a choice of potato and vegetable with the meal. Rather tired of road food, we ordered the mashed potatoes instead of fries and a mixed vegetable medly. The mashed potatoes were like I'd make at home - skins still on, nice and fluffy but yes, the occasional lump! They didn't whip these up from boxed flakes, folks:)

I collect paper menus where we eat when we're on the road doing these shows. The bartender was kind enough to photo-copy the menu for me. And what an odd menu it is! Remember, this is Dickeyville, Wisconsin! Obviously the seafood has to be flown in, previously frozen. Heck, they have to do that where I live. But I never expected to see frog legs on the menu. Nor sea scallops. And the list of steaks... how often do you see Porterhouse, which to me is the steak of steaks since it contains the strip and the ribeye all in one? The menu also had a funny ***note before the list of steaks: "We are not responsible for medium well and well done steaks" :chef:

Fraidy

I live right across the river from that area. I know how good the food is and how friendly those people are. It is so nice of you to tell everyone here what a good time you had. Please come back again. :)

The menu also had a funny ***note before the list of steaks: "We are not responsible for medium well and well done steaks" :chef:

Fraidy
[/quote]

I've never been to the place and may never make it there, but the notation about the steaks is enough to sell me on the restaurant. IMO medium-well and well-done steaks should be outlawed. Why ruin good beef? I guess this comes from my childhood. My mother grilled our steaks until we could shingle the roof with them. Pew!

Katie E said:
The menu also had a funny ***note before the list of steaks: "We are not responsible for medium well and well done steaks" :chef:

Fraidy

I've never been to the place and may never make it there, but the notation about the steaks is enough to sell me on the restaurant. IMO medium-well and well-done steaks should be outlawed. Why ruin good beef? I guess this comes from my childhood. My mother grilled our steaks until we could shingle the roof with them. Pew![/quote]

That made me think about my dad. He liked his steak so rare that he would just tell the cook to warm it up. My husband likes his the way your mom use to make them. (I will have to tell him about the shingles for the roof). :LOL:

Shultzies in Dickeyville, WI

JoAnn L. said:
I've never been to the place and may never make it there, but the notation about the steaks is enough to sell me on the restaurant. IMO medium-well and well-done steaks should be outlawed. Why ruin good beef? I guess this comes from my childhood. My mother grilled our steaks until we could shingle the roof with them. Pew!
That made me think about my dad. He liked his steak so rare that he would just tell the cook to warm it up. My husband likes his the way your mom use to make them. (I will have to tell him about the shingles for the roof). :LOL:[/quote]

My mom didn't know much about cooking beef, either. Her big thing was pan frying pieces of round steak and then adding water and gravy mix and serving it with boxed mashed potato flakes. Oh please just give me a good steak, rare!

Fraidy

FraidKnot said:
That made me think about my dad. He liked his steak so rare that he would just tell the cook to warm it up. My husband likes his the way your mom use to make them. (I will have to tell him about the shingles for the roof). :LOL:

My mom didn't know much about cooking beef, either. Her big thing was pan frying pieces of round steak and then adding water and gravy mix and serving it with boxed mashed potato flakes. Oh please just give me a good steak, rare!

Fraidy[/quote]

Ya know what. I'm one of those "just knock the moo out of the beef." I like mine rare, not raw, but tender and juicy and full of the natural flavor. Thankfully my husband can cook a steak to awesome perfection. With sauteed onions and a baked potato with sour cream and fresh chives and a glass of good red wine...yum. Life doesn't get much better. Believe it or not we had meals like this when we went camping. (Well-stocked camping rations always.) But, add some chocolate for dessert and then life IS perfect.

Fraidy

Glad you enjoyed your food in Dickeyville, Wisconsin. I used to collect paper menues but then the stack got so large that I threw them away.

Shultzie's Menu

shpj4 said:
Glad you enjoyed your food in Dickeyville, Wisconsin. I used to collect paper menues but then the stack got so large that I threw them away.
I finally scanned and uploaded the menu. You can find it here:

http://tinyurl.com/jvyko
and
http://tinyurl.com/jxo4g

Sorry for the poor quality; the bartender photocopied the menu for me and I had to fold it up. But you'll get the idea :)
Fraidy

Since I moved to small town midwest (IL, WI, and IA) we've discovered that these supper clubs can be some of the best eating. Unfortunately they're rarely open for lunch, when I'm most likely to be out & about looking for a meal. they're usually right outside the 'city limits' of very small towns.

Back
Top Bottom