Will applesauce work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cantcatchafish

Assistant Cook
Trying to make a vinegar based bbq sauce Carolina style...can I add applesauce to sweeten and cut strong vinegar taste

Howdy!!
Welcome to D.C.!!
I reckon you could try it, but brown sugar would likely work a little better. You could also use white sugar. The applesauce might be good. Never heard of it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. Who knows? It might be quite good. The trick to using a vinegar sauce is to use it sparingly. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

It's worth a try but there probably isn't enough sugar in the applesauce to make a difference. You may have to also add some other sweetener.

sounds like a good idea...add brown sugar to taste on top of adding the apple sauce... that is if you're finding the apple sauce isn't giving enough sweetness to the vinegar.. i'd even get more adventurous and add a hint of spice/hotness

let me know how your sauce comes out.. I'm curious on your results!!

Are you using white vinegar? i'd probably use apple cider vinegar and cut it with some apple cider...and maybe some maple syrup. But, I have a surplus of maple syrup since we collect sap in the spring and evap it.

Welcome to DC! I'd also be curious as to how the sauce turns out and what you ended up using.

Back
Top Bottom