Windsor vs Saucier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Now that I've had a chance to test drive the Mauviel M'cook for a while I have to say I'm very impressed with it's performance.

I find myself still using an ancient 1 qt saucier that I didn't replace in the initial purchase and I would like to retire it. It doesn't perform well on my induction range. Works but it's not as efficient on the burner as the Mauviel pans.

I can't decide which one to buy.
The choices are:

Which would you choose and why. I'm leaning toward the Windsor only because I've never owned one. Is there a good reason to choose one over the other or is it strictly a personal preference?

I think the saucier is sexier, my only input as I have used neither of them.

Last edited:
I've never used either, either (lol). What do you use it for, primarily? If it's for sauces, I think the rounded shape of the saucier would work better.

I have a saucier and use it a lot. I like that there is no 'corner' on the bottom so spoons and spats can do a complete scraping/stirring. I also like the wider shape.

Thanks for all the input. Saucier it is. I'll order in the next couple of days.

I read a little about the difference between the two pans.

The saucier's shape encourages a rolling boil toward the center of the pan. The windsor's shape is supposed to keep liquids at the center of the pan smooth concentrating the roll at the edges.

Last edited:
I have both. Windsors are good for reductions as they are designed to have a large surface area thus increasing evaporation.

Sauciers have rounded edges on the bottom so they are great for stirring as there is no sharpe edge at the bottom and food is less likely to stick in the edge between the side and bottom.

If I had to choose ...... SAUCIER WINS

It does reductions just about as well (none of us will ever tell the difference) and immagine something the consistancy of mac & cheese .... much much easier to stir /mix / fold in the saucier than a windsor.

Back
Top Bottom