Wings...how do you like them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
For mothers day my daughter and granddaughter asked if I could make chicken wings.
Of course I replied as I love them and so does everyone else. Mother (my wife) included.
My daughter is a CPA at a meat company and sent me a wholesale list of chicken. They had sectioned wings, regular, jumbo or whole. I suggested the jumbo as wings can be small. Jumbo turned out to be JUMBO. The drumetts were small legs almost. But after frying they were very nice.
She brought a whole case! 40 lbs. Thankfully she brought them last Friday so I had plenty time to package and store in freezer.

So to my questions. For fun only. I'm curious.
1) Do you prefer jumbo, large, or regular size wings? Whole or sectioned (wing tips removed).

2) Flats or drumetts? ( my informal poll yesterday was flats by a very large margin). I could have fried all flats and everyone would have been happy including me. I have found this to be almost universal in my observation.

3) Do you like traditional Buffalo dressing or some special dressing/sauce? Maybe like an Asian style?

4) Do you deep fry or air fry? (I deep fry every time) and its messy. But the best way IMO.

5) How do you season your wings before frying? (I use salt and pepper).

In summary my daughter told me she could get just the flat sections or the drumetts. They were not listed on the the wholesale order sheet. I may consider the flats only for my next order. Would you opt for separate flats or drumetts? I have never seen flats sold this way before.
I have more than 30 pounds left that are frozen in 3-4 pound bags. So I may consider using some for other dishes. What would you do?
I hope all the mothers out there had a wonderful Mothers Day!

1. We prefer larger wings over smaller ones. Whole. I cut off the tips for stock.
2. SO likes flats so I eat the drumettes.
3. Buffalo and Chinese take-out style
4. Broil, grill, deep fry. No air fry
5. If the recipe calls for it. Chinese take-out style calls for marinating before.

You never did mention how much you actually paid for them, wholesale. The price of wings has gotten ridiculously high, due to the high demand for them, and I haven't bought them in years. The price of breast, legs, and thighs (my favorite anyway) has come down through the years, while wings have steadily increased.

Many years ago, I used to make a number of things with wings, a few Thai dishes, but mostly Chinese, and a favorite was based on the 1,2,3,4,5 spareribs, but using wings. Super simple, and a hit with almost everyone who tried it, and it wasn't one of those dishes of mine that scared people off when they saw a bunch of unusual ingredients! Here's the recipe:

1,2,3,4,5 Wings, or Spareribs

1 tb Chinese cooking wine, or dry sherry
2 tb dark soy sauce
3 tb white vinegar
4 tb white sugar
5 tb water
3/4-1 1/2 tsp 5-spice powder (depending on strength)
1 1/2 lbs cut up wings, or chopped spareribs

Place all ingredients in a 10" sauté pan, and bring to a simmer, stirring to coat the meat, and dissolve the sugar. Cover, and simmer wings for 30 minutes, spareribs for 40-45 minutes, or until tender, then raise heat to medium high, and cook until liquid is syrupy, and coats the meat.

This is easily doubled, and cooked in a 12" sauté pan - my usual method!

I haven’t made wings in a long time, mainly due to price. I can buy B/S chicken breast for less than wings.

When I do make wings it’s always deep fried. I like the flats and hubby likes the drumetts. So that works out great.

Always Jumbo, I hate a skinny wing. lol

As far as flavors, I love making wings at home because I can do several different flavors. We like buffalo, bbq, old bay and garlic Parmesan.

Here is my question, do you flour the wings before frying or leave naked?

I just got done sectioning out 48 wings (2 packs from BJs).

I like the flat more than drummies and Kathleen likes the drummies more than the flats. tonight we will do 16 of em in the oven air fryer and see how that goes. I've read putting parchment paper in the drip pan helps with the smoking.

These will end up with buffalo sauce on em (Frank's Red Hot)

I don't use flour and I don't fry them. I use Baking Powder (NOT soda) and bake them in the oven. We feel that they come out as good as fried...and I can then toss them in a little butter flavored with BBQ sauce, Hot Sauce, Sweet/Sour, etc. I usually do at least 2 flavors, sometimes 3.

I don't do wings often because, the hubster doesn't like wings. I prefer with no sauce, but it's nice to have a sauce to dip them in. I usually just bake them. I like them whole and tear them into sections as I eat them. I like both the flats and the drumettes, but I like the flats a little bit better. If I get them at or from a resto, I usually get the ones that have a crispy coating and sauce, if any, on the side.

I just got done sectioning out 48 wings (2 packs from BJs).

I like the flat more than drummies and Kathleen likes the drummies more than the flats. tonight we will do 16 of em in the oven air fryer and see how that goes. I've read putting parchment paper in the drip pan helps with the smoking.

a slice of bread, in the drip tray prevents smoking.

Ross

We do wings, fairly often.

I, no longer fry in oil so I air fry them.

Are they 100% as good as deep fried? No but, they are pretty darn good and never turned down by anyone eating with us.

Baking powder or baking soda or just plain with S&P works well for us. Sometimes I dip in melted butter and roll in corn flakes, before cooking.

I don't sauce, except when family is with us. We like the plain crunch of 'fried chicken'.

Ross

a slice of bread, in the drip tray prevents smoking.

Ross

I've read that, but consider the oven is an air fryer and it would take like a loaf of bread to get everything.

I put a few sheets of parchment in the drip tray and that really worked a treat.

We do wings, fairly often.

I, no longer fry in oil so I air fry them.

Are they 100% as good as deep fried? No but, they are pretty darn good and never turned down by anyone eating with us.

Baking powder or baking soda or just plain with S&P works well for us. Sometimes I dip in melted butter and roll in corn flakes, before cooking.

I don't sauce, except when family is with us. We like the plain crunch of 'fried chicken'.

Ross

Have you ever tried crushed Ritz crackers instead of the corn flakes? Plus a little seasoned salt and/or pepper. I use that for an "oven fried" chicken breasts. I read the recipe in a magazine...probably in the '70s and still use it.

We buy 3 lb packages, frozen. Separate the tips for stock before cooking.
We mostly bake wings during football season, sometimes grilled
I've never paid attention to drumettes vs flats. They all get eaten.
We mostly have teriyaki sauced wings. Preferably homemade. This is SO's favorite flavor. I like the leftovers better the next day as they get crispier in the oven 2nd time around.

To bake wings, season S&P. Line a baking sheet with foil and make about 3 rows folded foil, something like this:

___^___^___ etc. Lean wings on ridges. You can align wings upright on each side of the ridges. Don't over crowd. Bake. Brush w sauce. Turn wings around to other side facing. Sauce 2nd side. Continue baking. Turn up the oven to hot. Brush with sauce and bake 5-10 minutes more until glazed.

I've read that, but consider the oven is an air fryer and it would take like a loaf of bread to get everything.

I put a few sheets of parchment in the drip tray and that really worked a treat.

I didn't know this. Of course, I meant my comment for tabletop air fryers. :)

Ross

Have you ever tried crushed Ritz crackers instead of the corn flakes? Plus a little seasoned salt and/or pepper. I use that for an "oven fried" chicken breasts. I read the recipe in a magazine...probably in the '70s and still use it.

Over the years, I have used many things to 'bread' chicken.
One favorite, for wonderful flavor, was crushed potato chips.

At my age, both the melted butter AND salty potato chips are no, no's.

I do admit to becoming belligerent, now and then, and having them anyway. :ermm:

Ross

I don't use flour and I don't fry them. I use Baking Powder (NOT soda) and bake them in the oven. We feel that they come out as good as fried...and I can then toss them in a little butter flavored with BBQ sauce, Hot Sauce, Sweet/Sour, etc. I usually do at least 2 flavors, sometimes 3.

I will have to try the baking powder. I would prefer to bake them, but I have never been able to get the crispy we like.

I use baking powder on my oven baked sweet potatoes, but never thought of using it on wings.

Thanks for the idea!

..I would prefer to bake them, but I have never been able to get the crispy we like...

Try cooking them under the broiler. Position the rack near the top (second level down in our oven). Broil 10 minutes on the back side then turn them over and broil about 12-15 minutes on the "good" side.

Your times may vary.

You never did mention how much you actually paid for them, wholesale. The price of wings has gotten ridiculously high, due to the high demand for them, and I haven't bought them in years. The price of breast, legs, and thighs (my favorite anyway) has come down through the years, while wings have steadily increased.

Many years ago, I used to make a number of things with wings, a few Thai dishes, but mostly Chinese, and a favorite was based on the 1,2,3,4,5 spareribs, but using wings. Super simple, and a hit with almost everyone who tried it, and it wasn't one of those dishes of mine that scared people off when they saw a bunch of unusual ingredients! Here's the recipe:

1,2,3,4,5 Wings, or Spareribs

1 tb Chinese cooking wine, or dry sherry
2 tb dark soy sauce
3 tb white vinegar
4 tb white sugar
5 tb water
3/4-1 1/2 tsp 5-spice powder (depending on strength)
1 1/2 lbs cut up wings, or chopped spareribs

Place all ingredients in a 10" sauté pan, and bring to a simmer, stirring to coat the meat, and dissolve the sugar. Cover, and simmer wings for 30 minutes, spareribs for 40-45 minutes, or until tender, then raise heat to medium high, and cook until liquid is syrupy, and coats the meat.

This is easily doubled, and cooked in a 12" sauté pan - my usual method!

I still have the list she sent me. I did not pay and I'm certain she gets a very good discount off the wholesale price.

A case (40lbs)of jumbo sectioned wings is $98.40. They come in 10lb bags.
10Lbs for $29.50
20lbs for $59
30 lbs for $88.50

Thanks for recipe. I will try it out. Sounds very good.

Here is my question, do you flour the wings before frying or leave naked?

Yes. I use equal amounts of flour, rice flour and corn starch. Seasoned with salt and pepper. It makes for a very crispy result. I used to use only AP flour with good results. But the combination of the three makes a crispier wing. I have been told that corn starch alone makes for an even more crisp result. I should dredge a couple in corn starch to see.
I shake them is a plastic bag and shake off any excess very well. I put them right in. They do not rest floured like many recipes call for.

Franks is my go to sauce. Its what I used on Sunday. I also like Crystal. But its much hotter.
Franks has a good flavor along with some heat. Unlike Tabasco that is all heat IMO.
I use Franks, Butter and a bit of honey. The honey really rounds it out. It also helps the sauce stick to the wings.
If anyone likes them hotter, I just add pepper flakes and let the sauce simmer for a couple minutes. Or use Crystal.

We buy 3 lb packages, frozen. Separate the tips for stock before cooking.
We mostly bake wings during football season, sometimes grilled
I've never paid attention to drumettes vs flats. They all get eaten.
We mostly have teriyaki sauced wings. Preferably homemade. This is SO's favorite flavor. I like the leftovers better the next day as they get crispier in the oven 2nd time around.

Some years ago when the wing craze had not hit, I would buy drumetts in the "reduced price for quick sale" section of the meat market. They were cheap and they were great. I never had a flat vs drumette poll or really never thought about it.
In the last few years I guess I had heard about a debate on the sections. So when I fry them I always make sure there is an even amount of flats and drumettes.
I have since asked people many times when wings were in the discussion about there choice. My informal poll showed most everyone preferred the flat section. With others saying either flat or drumette.
My wife and I both prefer the flat. I never knew this as I never asked.
Now that my daughter says she can get flats alone, I will order them. They are not listed on the wholesale sheet, but she said she can get them.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. Lots of great ideas and for sure lots of great people!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom