Worlds best pancake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Goodweed:

Some time ago (back in the FoodTV days) I clipped a recipe you posted for the world's best pancakes. The reviews were unanimous in their praise so I couldn't resist.

Well, I finally got around to making a batch this morning. They are excellent! Light as air but with a lot more flavor. Topped with butter and maple syrup they're fit for a king, or me.

Thanks from my SO and me,

Andy M.

I'll say. I stayed over at a friend's house not too long ago and the kids woke up early. Being the only adult awake at that time, I decided to make breakfast. No pancake mix in the pantry, so I made Goodweed's pancakes. It's such a simple recipe, that it's not hard to remember.

I was so embarrassed when the kids told their mother that the pancakes I made tasted better than hers.

She has the recipe now, so she's been making them on weekends.

Another vote the the 'cakes - they are great and not difficult to make. By the way, any problem if I wanted to make up a large batch of the dry ingredients and store? Shelf life?

Could one of you post the recipe again? I didn't see it on the FoodTV boards. Your rave reviews have made me want to try it, too! Thanks!

here ya go, PA

World’s Finest Pancakes - Goodweed

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. They are best when served immediately. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingrediants:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs. milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingrediants into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingrediants and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will overmix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to ballance the fruit acids.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingrediants by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingrediants by two.

Add another to the long and growing list of Goodweed's Pancakes fans! They are, without question or exaggeration, the best pancakes I've ever eaten or made! And I have four neighbors who would be thrilled to agree, since they now use this recipe, too.

I heard the other day that General Mills stock had fallen. Wonder if it's because so many former Bisquick users (I was one) have jumped ship to Goodweed's side...???

BTW, you can actually mix up the batter the night before and keep it in the fridge. You don't have to rush around half awake in the morning. I've used the batter two days later, but it doesn't fluff up as much. Overnight, though, there's virtually no difference. In fact, if you are one of those who tend to mix the batter too much, the overnight resting period is beneficial.

I also add a smidge of vanilla if it's handy.

Couldn't help but copy-paste the recipe. When do you ever see a World's Finest "something" recipe that people actually rave about? Thanks to all! Can't wait to try it!

Wish we had more recipes of the World's Finest "stuff"...

Any ideas on how you modify the recipe for "waffles"?

I understand that the difference between a waffle and a pancake is fairly academic...but you guys are not here to answer the slew of protest that arises if I don't cook these things in a waffle iron...

Please don't ask...its the genes from the other side of the family...not mine...

Lifter

Lifter, this isn't a modification on Goodweed's pancakes, but my family loves this waffle recipe. It's easy (you start it the night before to make it quicker in the AM) and heathy for you. I usually sautee apples in a little butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to put on top, but plain old maple syrup is good too.

Oatmeal Waffles

2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup orange juice
2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 egg
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for cooking

The night before you plan to serve the waffles, in a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, orange juice, and oats. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the sugar and mix. Add the flours, baking soda, salt, and the oat mixture and mix well. Stir in the melted butter. The batter may be slightly lumpy.

Preheat and lightly butter a waffle iron. Spoon a generous 1/2 cup of batter onto the hot iron and close the lid. Cook until no more steam escapes from the iron and the waffle is golden on both sides, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

Fabulous Waffles
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup melted butter
2 cups of buttermilk

Beat eggs till light. Sift together flour, salt,soda and baking powder.Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the beaten eggs, beginning with the flour ending with flour. Add butter blend thoroughly. Cook on waffle iron till it stops steaming.

Back
Top Bottom